The Queen of the South thread

47 minutes ago, Flash said:

I wish somebody would hurry up and sign Semple.

Thankfully you don’t need to worry.

Still doesn’t change my opinion on this preseason. Players will accept deals quicker than before and not chance being without a club.

You seem to be understating the point that IMO the clubs are more in control now than ever before. Clubs are giving out less money in wages and in general running with smaller squads. Gary Holt said exactly this.

Which means that players are far more likely to take the security of an early offer of a deal than ever before.

Thankfully you don’t need to worry.

Still doesn’t change my opinion on this preseason. Players will accept deals quicker than before and not chance being without a club.

We aren't going to suddenly get far better players though. I appreciate players (agents) won't have all the cards this time but they aren't going to suddenly turn daft. The best players will know their worth, even if they have to earn less than last season but I doubt they'll be concerned they won't find a club. If a really good player is approached by QoS with a "come to us next season as we've approached you first, but we won't pay you for a month or so" deal then there isn't much incentive for them. I expect they will hang fire to see what else is coming their way. The reality is, the only players who will be worried about not getting a club in time are the dross.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

We aren't going to suddenly get far better players though. I appreciate players (agents) won't have all the cards this time but they aren't going to suddenly turn daft. The best players will know their worth, even if they have to earn less than last season but I doubt they'll be concerned they won't find a club. If a really good player is approached by QoS with a "come to us next season as we've approached you first, but we won't pay you for a month or so" deal then there isn't much incentive for them. I expect they will hang fire to see what else is coming their way. The reality is, the only players who will be worried about getting a club in time are the dross.

I understand what you are saying and I won’t argue against it.

2 hours ago, Flash said:

I wish somebody would hurry up and sign Semple.

I am sure that won't be a problem if AJ doesn't want him to sign him am sure many other managers will.  A young proven Championship level CB is not easy to come by. 

Guest Flash
3 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

I am sure that won't be a problem if AJ doesn't want him to sign him am sure many other managers will.  A young proven Championship level CB is not easy to come by. 

Whoosh.

Possibly but it's true.  Am sure managers North & South of the border will be keeping tabs on his situation. 

Is your man Flash not alluding to the poster on here that follows Semple around wherever he goes?

For the record I’d take him at Ayr. Semple that is unless Sue Sue is any good at defending the penalty box?

Any idea on where Connor Murray is going? A player I’ve always liked the look of and would take at Ayr.  Is he local? 
No, he's from Glasgow and lives there. He has family down here though.

Some activity perhaps.  Apparently QotS and Queens Park are interested in signing ex Falkirk player Gregor Buchanan.  Spiders Manager Ray McKinnon has history of signing this player with previous clubs so that may work against us,  plus I believe  Queens Park are reportedly paying decent wages (by lower league standards) since turning professional.  It also raises the question, is our Manager off furlough now if we're being linked to signing players?

I believe teams will need to hold off until mid August before they can sign players due to Furlough if the team want extend sign players on contracts

if they sign them now the club will need to pay the wages with no furlough support 

Dunfermline in the. Main the only club signing players in championship?

45 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

We're being linked with Iain Wilson, from what I remember he was a powerful centre mid, however I don't remember much of him last season. Any information? 

Box to box powerful midfielder. Closest thing I've seen to Jamie Adams since Jamie Adams. Not really a goal threat, scored once for us, not a creative player, but a physically imposing one. A bit ungainly but good in the air and can fill in at centre back if required. I was hoping he might reappear here but presumably he wont if Dunfermline are seriously interested. He had two successful (*)  loan spells with us in last two seasons.

(*) I say successful in that he looked decent, certainly strengthened the midfield, was generally popular with fans and won a load of Man of the Match awards. That said, his arrival saw us barely win a game in either season and fall from the fringes of the promotion playoffs to 9th. I dont think that was his fault, and last years bad run began before he arrived, but his win percentage with us was dreadful.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

31 minutes ago, Fitbafollower said:

I believe teams will need to hold off until mid August before they can sign players due to Furlough if the team want extend sign players on contracts

if they sign them now the club will need to pay the wages with no furlough support 

Dunfermline in the. Main the only club signing players in championship?

You can extend an existing contract any time you want and keep the player furloughed. Hence what we saw from Raith yesterday. You cant recruit a NEW employee and furlough them. 

I was hoping he might reappear here but presumably he wont if Dunfermline are seriously interested.

Well get AJ off furlough this afternoon and tell him to contact Wilson. He'll definitely sign for us providing Dunfermline haven't made contact already.