The Queen of the South thread

7 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

We can’t actually sign anyone right now as the manager is to remain on furlough for another month and even then he’s coming back on a part time basis.

If you are right then its madness  So in August we will have a part time manager and 3 signed players with pre season due to start 6 weeks before the first Betfred possibly the 1st of October?

13 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Hopefully some have been sounded out already but I doubt there will be a shortage of players in our budget range. One possible problem is a few well heeled non-League sides may be offering deals  we can't compete with. It's already started. 

I do agree with you and that's why we need to tie down more than 3 now.  I would feel better if we at least had the manager working.  All very strange in this crappy time.

1 minute ago, SueSue said:

Are you one of those people that moans every season about the quality of player Queens end up with due to not being proactive enough early enough?

Nah, I wouldn't say that's particularly why I moan every season.

Just now, SueSue said:

Are you one of those people that moans every season about the quality of player Queens end up with due to not being proactive enough early enough?

And I am not saying you are by the way.

What do you think East Kilbride are offer as a part time wage to someone like Kidd or Paton? Is it more than Queens could offer ?

I don't think the timing makes much difference. If QoS were given a month's head start to sign players, we wouldn't end up with better quality players. We will do most of our signings later on because players will hang off to see if a better offer comes in. Our timing isn't the issue, our club size and budget determines the calibre of player we sign.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:
6 minutes ago, SueSue said:

I don't think the timing makes much difference. If QoS were given a month's head start to sign players, we wouldn't end up with better quality players. We will do most of our signings later on because players will hang off to see if a better offer comes in. Our timing isn't the issue, our club size and budget determines the calibre of player we sign.

I think I am going to disagree with you on this one. With more players on the market and less contracts to be given out players are more likely to take a deal earlier to at least secure themselves for the season rather than risk no deal at all.

14 minutes ago, SueSue said:

And I am not saying you are by the way.

What do you think East Kilbride are offer as a part time wage to someone like Kidd or Paton? Is it more than Queens could offer ?

I've not got a clue what they're offering.

If we entered into a bidding war for that pair though, I'd only become concerned if we won it.

I think I am going to disagree with you on this one. With more players on the market and less contracts to be given out players are more likely to take a deal earlier to at least secure themselves for the season rather than risk no deal at all.
But I don't think our quality will improve dramatically regardless. Hypothetically, a player who was in a mid to lower league Premiership team last season (or even a Championship player in the top 5 last season) is sitting out of contract and QoS approach him 2 months before the season starts with a deal. Do you genuinely believe he is going to sign because we got there first?

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
26 minutes ago, SueSue said:

But I don't think our quality will improve dramatically regardless. Hypothetically, a player who was in a mid to lower league Premiership team last season (or even a Championship player in the top 5 last season) is sitting out of contract and QoS approach him 2 months before the season starts with a deal. Do you genuinely believe he is going to sign because we got there first?

There are a number of players in the Championship Or L1 who would take a deal rather than wait. There is also a number of players from the Premiership that Queens would never sign due to finance.

Its the players in the first bracket I think we could get at earlier with an offer.

On a different note I would be interested what players like Kidd and Paton will be earning part time. 

42 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've not got a clue what they're offering.

If we entered into a bidding war for that pair though, I'd only become concerned if we won it.

You do realise he's referring to Paul Paton who has signed for EK from Dunfermline, right?

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You do realise he's referring to Paul Paton who has signed for EK from Dunfermline, right?

Ah no, I didn't.  I'd heard about Kidd.

Either way, I've not got a clue what EK might offer, and I honestly don't care.   I just want us to spend what we can afford.

I'll of course reserve the right to moan like Hell about the consequences of that.

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Last season, Kidd signed on 25 June and El Bak signed on 9 August. Just saying

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Last season, Kidd signed on 25 June and El Bak signed on 9 August. Just saying.

Meaning what ? 

This Summer is totally different to any pre season previously.

Players will accept deals earlier due to he number of players out of contract. 

The club signed Brownlie and Holt last May so it has got it in them to act earlier.