The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

OK but they all have a number of players on there books Queens have 3!

and................................... ?

Presuming the squad lists at the top of this page are accurate:

Raith Rovers have 5 players over the age of 19 contracted for next season, one of whom is the perma-crocked Lewis Vaughan.

Morton have 8 1st team squad players, almost all of whom are midfielders and Kyle Jacobs is their only player with any significant experience.

If we ignore Mark Kerr, Ayr United have 4 players contracted beyond the end of this month at 1st team level.

I appreciate these three clubs also have players on furlough contracts and haven't made decisions on their futures yet but that's not really all that different.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I appreciate these three clubs also have players on furlough contracts and haven't made decisions on their futures yet but that's not really all that different.

Think it is.....Queens will be starting from scratch again this season even worse than the past few seasons.. Unless the manager has contacted players unofficially and told them if he intends signing them again or not.... Despite a poor end to the last season the club had a one or two good young players that could well progress in the game and make the club some money like Dykes given the chance. 

1 minute ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Think it is.....Queens will be starting from scratch again this season even worse than the past few seasons.. Unless the manager has contacted players unofficially and told them if he intends signing them again or not.... Despite a poor end to the last season the club had a one or two good young players that could well progress in the game and make the club some money like Dykes given the chance. 

At the end of last season when Allan Johnston took over he had just ONE player signed up (Dobbie). So it's clearly not worse than the past few seasons. He then persuaded Darren Brownlie, Jack Leighfield, Connor Murray and Scott Mercer to re-sign after the playoffs. I'm really not seeing much odds here other than the obvious pandemic shutting things down for 4 or 5 months between seasons.

13 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

3 months down the line now  I wonder if AJ has contacted Semple or any of the other young players like Mercer, Pybus Murray, Lyons or Irving about signing for Queens as soon as pre season starts again. Surely the club can afford to take the manager off furlough and let him try and assemble a squad good enough that will help to keep his job before all players in signed up by other teams... 

Do you start pestering people on the subject of Christmas in about April?

Looks like things are starting to move forward now with the date for shirt draw sponsorship set for 6th Aug notice change tho this season No silent auction for name on back of strips... Reason? Not enough interest in past? 

12 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.png exactly my feelings. Just hope it’s more of a were looking for better than what we offered is pish

Doubt he had been offered anything at Queens if the manager is  still furloughed... 

Interesting to hear about the fan ownership model proposed for Morton. The Rae family writing off the £2M debt and they have 500 members signed up. Was looking at the stats and their crowds averaged around 1600 last season, in comparison to our 1400.
Is this a model that could work at Palmerston somewhere down the line?

What clubs like QOS can offer for a wage you can see why many players will go part time with the best offer made and with a job they will be financially a good part better off

There won't be any other jobs around for part-timers; full time football or the dole I'm afraid! The next 12 months are going to be hell for almost everyone [emoji17]

2 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

Interesting to hear about the fan ownership model proposed for Morton. The Rae family writing off the £2M debt and they have 500 members signed up. Was looking at the stats and their crowds averaged around 1600 last season, in comparison to our 1400.
Is this a model that could work at Palmerston somewhere down the line?

Unlikely, since the club isnt currently owned by any individual. Even David Rae only has less than 30%.

Also, the Rae family have retained ownership of Cappielow whilst proposing to sell the club which somewhat changes the interpretation of 'writing off' £2m. Although it will apparently be rented for £1 they certainly have a very valuable asset for their gesture.

On 08/07/2020 at 07:46, Monkey Tennis said:

Do you start pestering people on the subject of Christmas in about April?

No, other clubs are contacting players we had last season so if AJ is wanting to keep some of them surely he should be off furlough and start contacting them before they go elsewhere... I see other clubs are signing players but not starting to pay them until pre season starts. 

Not re-signing last season's squad, Johnston not being able to sign players, and Johnston not picking up a wage from the club would probably be my 3 wishes if I found a genie in a lamp.  This situation can't go on long enough as far as I'm concerned!