The Queen of the South thread

Just now, Mr X said:
5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:
Excellent.  I love those.
Right now, I'd say there are a couple of clubs beneath us who are bigger, and a couple above us who are smaller.   We're punching at around our weight. 

Define bigger and smaller

Larger and more little.

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't think we're punching above our weight.

6 hours ago, Mr X said:

I fear we're heading down a protracted argument about what out "weight" is.

Financially, I think we are. Otherwise, we wouldn't need the arena and outside investment to sustain FT football at the current level.

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Excellent.  I love those.

Right now, I'd say there are a couple of clubs beneath us who are bigger, and a couple above us who are smaller.   We're punching at around our weight. 

To an extent you can both be right.

I think our relatively natural position in Scottish football is roughly halfway, circa 20th to 22nd probably. For a long time between the 70s and 90s we were lower than that. We have never finished lower than 23rd since 2001. On that basis right now (having finished 21st) we are pretty much bang on where we should be.

In a snapshot view we finished above Partick Thistle and Falkirk, both clearly much bigger clubs. It is however the 1st time for the former in a long time and only the 3rd time (2nd in a row) for Falkirk in my lifetime I think. I expect Airdrie could potentially make a case for being traditionally bigger too.

Likewise in a snapshot view we finished below Arbroath and Alloa (2nd in a row for Alloa) but these are also isolated. I dont think anyone else obviously much smaller is above us. Potentially Livingston I suppose with no long term tradition. Ross County and Inverness too but the latter are a city club with much bigger population to draw on whilst the former's financial strength is well documented. Both the Highland clubs passed us 20 odd years ago and havent looked much like dropping below us since on any sort of consistent basis. 

I dont think generally we are above our weight. However to varying degrees we have occasionally threatened to be. We have twice made the playoffs in the last 7 years (unlucky the best of them saw us have to play Rangers), a couple times been close and even in the last two which ended fairly dismally, were genuinely threatening the top end at halfway.

We are not punching above our weight but we have done very well in the last two decades of making sure the odd occasion we dont punch our weight is because we are above it, and never below it.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Guest Flash
2 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

What a night this was at Ibrox. 

78C5D9BA-1400-4FF1-92B7-2644E0C64FE4.jpeg

Was that the night we eventually played Rangers in a Challenge Cup tie postponed at their request because they had players away on international duty? 

What a night this was at Ibrox. 
78C5D9BA-1400-4FF1-92B7-2644E0C64FE4.thumb.jpeg.9093ecedea7be1da7a1c8dac3ae9bb87.jpeg

I was there that night it was fantastic. I had a work mate ( rangers fans ) who was in main stand and he always says when mcguffie scores the whole corner seemed to jump at same time and everytime he saw the bet 365 adverts where parts of the stadium come out the ground it reminds him of that night

With all due respect I think the Qos Trust are going a little OTT with their membership advertising. Every time  I browse my usual Queens related pages on social media there’s yet another post. 

Think we’ve got the message now guys. 

Edited by the_palmy_pie

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Quality of the players in that photo👌

This match remains one of my favourite away fixtures watching Queens. The fans were magnificent that night and it was made even better with a local lad scoring the winning penalty. 

51 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

With all due respect I think the Qos Trust are going a little OTT with their membership advertising. Every time  I browse my usual Queens related pages on social media there’s yet another post. 

Think we’ve got the message now guys. 

You're upset about seeing Queens related posts on Queens related pages? During a time there's not much happening 

I recently found out there's usually a mute/ignore button on these social media sites. Maybe try that rather than having a dig about advertising at people who do outstanding work for the club and fans. 

17 minutes ago, Fitbafollower said:

Any update your progress with signing players

any names being banded about?

will you have a reserve squad next season?

Why would we even think about signing players when our 1st game is not until October .

All players well the 3 we have and staff are on furlough nothing will happen till at least August 

19 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Why would we even think about signing players when our 1st game is not until October .

All players well the 3 we have and staff are on furlough nothing will happen till at least August 

August!! I think/hope the manager will be talking to potential players long before that even if it means players contracts not starting until they start to train in August. 

1 hour ago, FrankReynolds said:

You're upset about seeing Queens related posts on Queens related pages? During a time there's not much happening 

I recently found out there's usually a mute/ignore button on these social media sites. Maybe try that rather than having a dig about advertising at people who do outstanding work for the club and fans. 

Oops , looks like I’ve hit a nerve. 😮