The Queen of the South thread

43 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
4 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:
Mcshane has gone part time

If the figures are true then he'll be making as much at Darvel pt as he would with us ft.

Yes,  there are a few biggish spending non League/PT sides about now apparently paying good wages which we will  have to compete against to attract players. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Yes,  there are a few biggish spending non League/PT sides about now apparently paying good wages which we will  have to compete against to attract players. 

How do these clubs attract so much financal clout? Yet a well run established club like Queens struggle to get people to part with cash. 

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Generally, they're owned by someone with a lot of money

It rarely works out well in the medium to longer term. Most obviously Brooks Mileson at Gretna but it happens at all levels. See Calum Melville at Dundee. Angelo Massone at Livingston. Dominic Keane at Livingston. Even at local level Tarff Rovers went under after a brief flirtation with throwing daft money at the likes of Chic Charnley. Even David Murray eventually spent Rangers into insolvency via Craig Whyte's convenient patsy role.

As the old joke goes, the only way to come out of running a football club with a million is to start off with ten times that.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It rarely works out well in the medium to longer term. Most obviously Brooks Mileson at Gretna but it happens at all levels. See Calum Melville at Dundee. Angelo Massone at Livingston. Dominic Keane at Livingston. Even at local level Tarff Rovers went under after a brief flirtation with throwing daft money at the likes of Chic Charnley. Even David Murray eventually spent Rangers into insolvency via Craig Whyte's convenient patsy role.

As the old joke goes, the only way to come out of running a football club with a million is to start off with ten times that.

Yip.

Like all of us, I have various hopes for Queens.  Acquiring a Sugar Daddy isn't one of them though.

I would love someone just to come in to increase the budget by a sensible amount without going mad and just make the running of the club that bit easier.

Just to make the year on year budget battles that little bit easier ⚽⚽

I would love someone just to come in to increase the budget by a sensible amount without going mad and just make the running of the club that bit easier.
Just to make the year on year budget battles that little bit easier [emoji460]️[emoji460]️
This. You'd think it was possible to come in, invest in medium /long term projects to increase revenue, as well as short term investment in the playing squad, and leave a club better off than before.

Personally, you'd still lose money of course.

Wonder why it never seems to work out that way

49 minutes ago, Mr X said:

This. You'd think it was possible to come in, invest in medium /long term projects to increase revenue, as well as short term investment in the playing squad, and leave a club better off than before.

Personally, you'd still lose money of course.

Wonder why it never seems to work out that way

It would more than likely have to be a fan. Someone who supports the club and is happy enough to put in money without wanting/expecting to make much or anything back. 

Even if it was just an amount to boost finances for a season would be great.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yip.

Like all of us, I have various hopes for Queens.  Acquiring a Sugar Daddy isn't one of them though.

I'd be quite happy for someone to pump a bit of wealth into Queens,  the problem comes when they actually want to become owners with too much control  in the running of the Club rather than merely being sleeping investors wlliing to let the actual football people run the club. Their egos tend to take over. 

Edit to add: Pretty much the same as Frank says in his post. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

While these situations almost always end in tears, sometimes they can create memories that retrospectively fans of the teams wouldn't have changed for the world. For Dundee to get to see players such as Caniggia and Ravanelli is something they will probably always treasure and some would look back now and think the consequences were worth it for the memories. Same at Gretna, some would say the memories of getting all the way to the top flight, playing in europe and getting to a Scottish cup final were worth it. Ultimately they have reformed and are now at a level probably not too dissimilar to where they were when they left English football. Those Gretna fans have memories for life. Part of me would love something like that at Queens but the other part would be very worried about the dire consequences it could have.

I like most would rather we stuck to within our means, maybe a bit of investment. I’d just like to see us get away from what we’ve become in last few seasons, or a short medium term plan to get away from it. Like to see us have some sort of model to go towards, maybe a bit like Motherwells, but obviously our own kind of version and try kick on a bit, as its disheartening for us that go every week every season and for floating fans it’s not really encouraging them to attend at moment

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

You'd think it was possible to come in, invest in medium /long term projects to increase revenue, as well as short term investment in the playing squad

Is that not a bit like what we've had over the years from guys like Blount, Bradford, Rae and Hewitson?

Am I being whooshed?

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Is that not a bit like what we've had over the years from guys like Blount, Bradford, Rae and Hewitson?
Am I being whooshed?
No, it absolutely is, albeit with less resources than other clubs have had thrown at them, but it's clearly only going to take us so far. We are, though, punching above our weight and I guess it would be interesting to measure relatively how far above compared to the more short term "investments" we've seen over the years at other clubs.

Theres no doubt the approach we're taking is the right one.

Just now, Mr X said:

No, it absolutely is, albeit with less resources than other clubs have had thrown at them, but it's clearly only going to take us so far. We are, though, punching above our weight and I guess it would be interesting to measure relatively how far above compared to the more short term "investments" we've seen over the years at other clubs.

Theres no doubt the approach we're taking is the right one.

I don't think we're punching above our weight.

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I fear we're heading down a protracted argument about what out "weight" is.

Excellent.  I love those.

Right now, I'd say there are a couple of clubs beneath us who are bigger, and a couple above us who are smaller.   We're punching at around our weight.