The Queen of the South thread

22 minutes ago, gogs said:

Pybus over lyon for me every day the 1st player I'd try to get back would b mercer last season he was superb and was just behind mcrorie for player of the year for me.
mercer pybus semple and osman would like to see back also murry however a move might actually benifit him tbh.
If we are running on this budget surely Goss is worth a punt got good pedigree and knows where the back of the net is.

Who is Goss ?

9 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Who is Goss ?

Tommy Goss, Signed for Queens last year before being loaned back to Abbey Vale!! Boy is young and certainly didn't look out of place when playing a few reserve games this year. Totally worth a shot next year, lad is 6ft 6 but is surprisingly good with the ball at his feet.

Only worry i have for these younger lads is will Queens have a reserve team next year??

Edited by oldbeforetime

Tommy Goss, Signed for Queens last year before being loaned back to Abbey Vale!! Boy is young and certainly didn't look out of place when playing a few reserve games this year. Totally worth a shot next year, lad is 6ft 6 but is surprisingly good with the ball at his feet.
Only worry i have for these younger lads is will Queens have a reserve team next year with all the likely cuts that will be coming.
In my opinion he is certainly worth a shot did well in the reserve games he played in at might work well with dobbie Lad deserves a chance.

In my opinion he is certainly worth a shot did well in the reserve games he played in at might work well with dobbie Lad deserves a chance.
He deserves a chance if he's good enough. The reserve league isn't exactly great quality. I hope we look else where first but I suppose there isn't any harm in giving the guy a run of games in "pre-season" first to see if he can cut it.

The management team and Dobbie could afford a 20% pay cut. It would potentially free up funds for another player.
I reckon Skyline Drifter was harsh on Kenny Brannnigan.
Would you work for less money than you're entitled to?

3 hours ago, oldbeforetime said:

Only worry i have for these younger lads is will Queens have a reserve team next year??

Give Goss a chance local young players are what  Queens should be looking to sign this season 

11 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Give Goss a chance local young players are what  Queens should be looking to sign this season 

So you think there are enough local young lads good enough to play in the Championship?

7 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Now more than every due to the tough financial times the club has to go with young players wanting to learn there trade alongside an experienced player in each area of the park we already have Holt (defence) Dobbie (attack) & I think W Gibson Res Manager could double up & play in midfield for one more season great vision and passer. The club has to start by signing the young players from last season Semple, Pybus Gourlay & Irving to start with and add more young players who maybe don't have as many financial/family commitments that may sign for Queens on lower wages. 

I think the fans would rather see a young team on the field regardless of league position if it means the club is stable financially & building a squad for the next couple of seasons than going down the route of journeymen turning up to play & collect ther money each week. 

I’m not sure that many players who’s contract finished in May and not extended like some other clubs have done will rush back to Palmerston. 

6 hours ago, football maniac said:

Pybus over Lyon every day of the week for me.  Id be looking to keep Semple, Pybus, Murray, Mercer, Kilday and the youngsters. Kidd and Paton could be kept as useful and cheap squad fillers. I felt people were abit harsh on them at times last season. 

Maniac indeed. That’s what they were used as this season and they certainly weren’t useful. 

I’m not sure that many players who’s contract finished in May and not extended like some other clubs have done will rush back to Palmerston. 
So a masterstroke by the club you might say.

1 hour ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Not so sure about that some of the players I have mentioned really enjoy playing at Queens and am sure would return if offered a deal. 

It's quite alarming the number of our fans that seem keen to let the same manager take charge of the same group of players all over again.  I know it was a while ago now, but surely everyone remembers we were saved from certain relegation by a virus, and were embarrassed in every cup competition we entered?

This idea that a blend of youngsters and "old heads" will be some sort of miracle fix is also a bit strange to me, isn't that what we tend to end up with most years anyway?  Our status in the game means we are always going to be "blooding" young players hopefully on the way up (either our own, one's we've picked up from elsewhere, or loan players from a level above) and picking up older players on the decline.

As for this fantasy notion of building for the future, this is something that is a complete rarity in modern football at any level, let alone ours.  Most manager's are lucky if they are in charge for more than 2 seasons, it's not in their interests to build for the future as in all likelihood it will be another manager that reaps the benefits.  Johnston will start the season in the last year of his contract, he's understandably not going to be caring too much about what happens to Queens in 3 or 4 years.  His priority will be doing as well as he can in the coming season to either remain employed by Queens, or better still have earned an upward move, or at the very least not done so terribly that he falls off the managerial merry-go-round completely.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
5 hours ago, Terry_Tibbs said:
The management team and Dobbie could afford a 20% pay cut. It would potentially free up funds for another player.
I reckon Skyline Drifter was harsh on Kenny Brannnigan.

Would you work for less money than you're entitled to?

If the circumstances merited it, and i could afford it, then yes.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, Terry_Tibbs said:
If the circumstances merited it, and i could afford it, then yes.

Then you'd be getting mugged off by your employer.

You appear to know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

By rights i'm entitled to a partial refund on my season ticket. Am i mug not for claiming it?

You appear to know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
By rights i'm entitled to a partial refund on my season ticket. Am i mug not for claiming it?
No. Not claiming your refund is a decent thing to do in the circumstances though I don't think it's wrong to claim it back either. However, I'm not sure that's comparable to your suggestion in any way. When you buy your season ticket you're investing in the club and have instantly paid out for your ticket. Even if you can't make a couple of games I doubt you are going to feel hard done by. It's an unprecedented situation we are in but I doubt many ST holders grudge the club keeping the money just because they missed out on a handful of (truly terrible btw) games.

AJ and Dobbie on the other hand have contracts telling them what to expect earnings wise next season. Why should they be expected to give it back? The irony of your first paragraph is pretty staggering: How do you know AJ and Dobbie could afford to give back 20% of their earnings?

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

The same back line as last season and 4 of the midfielders? The midfield was the worst it's been in years and the defence shipped goals. I'm hoping there is a massive clear out rather than retaining the majority of them. Lyon being versatile probably hindered him a fair bit IMO. He never really got a good run in the middle of the park. When he did get the ball he at least looked like he had some clue what to do. I felt Pybus panicked a lot when he got the ball.

Don't get me wrong, I won't be devastated if Lyon doesn't return. I don't think he was some sort of under-rated midfield dynamo. But if I had to pick between him and Pybus it'd be him.

To be fair I think the defence was in the main fine up until McCrorie left. I felt Stewart lacked the same commanding ability and the defence lost confidence with it. Kilday was really impressive until January. Semple when fit looked really good. Mercer was consistent all season and Holt is under contract. Brownlie was also a massive miss. Murray showed great promise at times last season and Pybus I rate but he divides the crowd. Kidd and Paton I felt were in a losing battle the minute they signed as the fans weren't at all enthused but Im probably alone in the opinion that they werent that bad.