The Queen of the South thread

9 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Thought the manager was furloughed and wasn't able to do any work at the moment for Queens. Other managers who are working may be able to start making contacts and plans

Think it's time he wasn't furloughed then. 

1 hour ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Since you seem to have mastered this internet thing I suggest you try Google.
You’ll find out there what FIFY means as well as many other interesting acronyms.
GTF Franky boy

I figured it out son. Cheers for your interesting input though.

8 hours ago, queenslad said:

Thought the manager was furloughed and wasn't able to do any work at the moment for Queens. Other managers who are working may be able to start making contacts and plans

I assume the Johnston is no longer furloughed and hasn't been for a couple of weeks as, according to Gary Oliver,  it was the Manager who informed the released  players that contracts would not be renewed. He wouldn't be able to do that if furloughed I imagine. 

9 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Think it's time he wasn't furloughed then. 

why should queens do that? 

we dont have a start date for the new season so the best thing we can do is keep our staff on furlough until we know when we can start. there is no point in bringing in players the now if the league isnt starting until October. I would imagine pre season would start end of August start of September so we have plenty of time to bring in players

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I assume the Johnston is no longer furloughed and hasn't been for a couple of weeks as, according to Gary Oliver,  it was the Manager who informed the released  players that contracts would not be renewed. He wouldn't be able to do that if furloughed I imagine. 

As far as I know, the conditions of the furlough scheme are that an employee has to be furloughed for a minimum of 3 weeks at a time, but I don't think there is a minimum period that they have to be brought off furlough for. In which case, I would imagine that Johnston was brought off furlough for a day or two to deal with releasing players, then put back on to furlough. 

1 hour ago, the tactician said:

we dont have a start date for the new season so the best thing we can do is keep our staff on furlough until we know when we can start. there is no point in bringing in players the now if the league isnt starting until October. I would imagine pre season would start end of August start of September so we have plenty of time to bring in players

Totally this.

I can't get remotely interested in who we should be tryingng to bring in and suchlike, because it all remains distant.  

This idea that we should be looking to start employing people who we don't know when we'll need, is daft.  As a club, we need to sit tight for a bit yet.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Totally this.

I can't get remotely interested in who we should be tryingng to bring in and suchlike, because it all remains distant.  

This idea that we should be looking to start employing people who we don't know when we'll need, is daft.  As a club, we need to sit tight for a bit yet.

Not so much that we dont know when we need them, it seems pretty clear now when we will need them. It would however be utter madness to recruit and pay them now when they would need paying in full with no furlough eligibility and we have no income. 

Not that anybody could sign anyone right now anyway. The SFA have delayed opening the transfer window and havent at this stage given any indication of when they plan to open it.

We’re delighted that several people have signed up for the QOS TANNER FUND over the last few days and can’t thank you enough for getting involved with an idea that’s going to make a difference to the managers playing budget.

Remember that every single penny raised is EXTRA funds for the manager to use and something both him and the club will greatly appreciate.

967598da-14bf-48d1-a682-1c32a8284b91.jpg

Im assuming our manager can still pick up a phone and have a chat with potential signings even while furloughed. Or maybe he’s scared the furlough police will catch him...

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

We’re delighted that several people have signed up for the QOS TANNER FUND over the last few days and can’t thank you enough for getting involved with an idea that’s going to make a difference to the managers playing budget.

Remember that every single penny raised is EXTRA funds for the manager to use and something both him and the club will greatly appreciate.

967598da-14bf-48d1-a682-1c32a8284b91.jpg

I donated  online a few months ago and once I’m  back to work I’ll set up a monthly stand order. Keep up the great guys. The club are going to need every penny that comes their way next season. 
I’m sure I read this week a similar scheme by Ayr United supporters has now raised over £100,000 for the manager. 

I donated  online a few months ago and once I’m  back to work I’ll set up a monthly stand order. Keep up the great guys. The club are going to need every penny that comes their way next season. 
I’m sure I read this week a similar scheme by Ayr United supporters has now raised over £100,000 for the manager. 

Yup it would be good to see our fans do something similar, can only imagine the difference it’ll make

There was an interesting but short discussion recently on here about how many different supporters groups we have and how they possibly detract from each other to a degree (at least I think that was the point being made.  I wonder if it's a similar case with the Tanner Fund?

Dumfries and Galloway isn't a region that's exactly flush with cash, and as it stands there are already several ways people are dipping into their pocket for the club.  Just off the top of my head:

• Season tickets or pay on the gate entry to the game
  • Money spent at or before the game - programmes, half time draw ticket, arena/club shop/pie shop
  • Queens weekly draw/deluxe draw

Then there are the supporters clubs and the trust as mentioned above, where money raised goes to the club indirectly through; player sponsorship, shirt draw entries, youth development donations etc. Not to mention the money that goes towards following the club but doesn't fill the clubs coffers such as travel to away games and all the money spent in between.

Hopefully it's a slow burner and it will take off once we get a bit of normality back, I don't think we are a fan base that is short in giving to the club though.  It's just that a) there aren't that many of us and b) we can't necessarily afford to give any more.

There was an interesting but short discussion recently on here about how many different supporters groups we have and how they possibly detract from each other to a degree (at least I think that was the point being made.  I wonder if it's a similar case with the Tanner Fund?

Dumfries and Galloway isn't a region that's exactly flush with cash, and as it stands there are already several ways people are dipping into their pocket for the club.  Just off the top of my head:

• Season tickets or pay on the gate entry to the game
  • Money spent at or before the game - programmes, half time draw ticket, arena/club shop/pie shop
  • Queens weekly draw/deluxe draw
Then there are the supporters clubs and the trust as mentioned above, where money raised goes to the club indirectly through; player sponsorship, shirt draw entries, youth development donations etc. Not to mention the money that goes towards following the club but doesn't fill the clubs coffers such as travel to away games and all the money spent in between.

Hopefully it's a slow burner and it will take off once we get a bit of normality back, I don't think we are a fan base that is short in giving to the club though.  It's just that a) there aren't that many of us and b) we can't necessarily afford to give any more.

I suppose Ayr, Raith and Clyde fans likely the same, 100% correct though and fans should not get only give if and what they can afford.

Main selling point for you palmy_cammy is that hopefully money can be put towards avoiding signings like Lewis Kidd and Michael Paton and more like Iain Wilson, Joe Thomson’s of this world

2 hours ago, qos1990 said:

I suppose Ayr, Raith and Clyde fans likely the same, 100% correct though and fans should not get only give if and what they can afford.

Main selling point for you palmy_cammy is that hopefully money can be put towards avoiding signings like Lewis Kidd and Michael Paton and more like Iain Wilson, Joe Thomson’s of this world

its great idea that the fans are coming up with but cant really use it as a selling point too avoid signings like Kidd and Paton. Do you know that if there was more money available to the manager that he wouldnt sign Kidd and Paton? The manager obviously likes them as he has signed them regardless of the money they are on.  

I contribute to the Tanner Fund mainly because it goes directly to the 1st team playing budget (afik).  Whether that is a good thing with the current Manager us a separate matter of opinion but will hopefully enable us to attract slightly better players.  I'm realistic enough to appreciate that even with the Tanner Fund we still won't attract top of the range Championship players, that will  require serious investment from somewhere. 

its great idea that the fans are coming up with but cant really use it as a selling point too avoid signings like Kidd and Paton. Do you know that if there was more money available to the manager that he wouldnt sign Kidd and Paton? The manager obviously likes them as he has signed them regardless of the money they are on.  

I’m not part of it, I’m just pushing the idea. They names were used as they were 1/10 on his signing ratings on another thread

2 hours ago, the tactician said:

This is why we should go part time I would rather have the pick of the best part time players rather than poor full time players who can't get a deal anywhere else 

This is why we should go part time I would rather have the pick of the best part time players rather than poor full time players who can't get a deal anywhere else 

The idea is right but the cost of a good Park time players is similar to a average full time player so players wage bill is the same . I think we should look further ahead and go for younger players like we did a few years ago .

I'm not sure we'd necessarily have the pick of the best PT players. Arbroath had a good season last year and Alloa have been doing ok as well recently. I don't think we'd suddenly swoop in and take all their best players.

The idea is right but the cost of a good Park time players is similar to a average full time player so players wage bill is the same . I think we should look further ahead and go for younger players like we did a few years ago .
I think the wage bill would be less otherwise there would be no point going PT in the first place. We've had this before but I'm doubtful there are PT players floating about making more than FT players in this division. If that were the case what FT player in his right mind wouldn't be looking to go PT? Half the work for more/same money?