The Queen of the South thread

6 minutes ago, FrankReynolds said:

Yeah I read through a few pages to try and get up to date. Was a waste of time as there was just arguments so thought I'd just ask hoping someone would be kind enough to update me but instead I'm getting interrogated, don't know if that's normal for new accounts? 

As for the trip - it was work related. 

What kind of update are you looking for? 

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

There's your new avatar. "FrankReynolds hunter". I'm impressed an "old timer" watches Sunny in Philly tbh.

3763443-5077893819-hqdef.jpeg.3f0028ea537da07d038e33bd3c61ab14.jpeg

I love Always Sunny!! I'm actually the same as Danny Devito so it makes it more funnier watching him. Do you watch it? 

1 minute ago, Benji said:

What kind of update are you looking for? 

Thanks! I'm not here to cause trouble if that's the reason everyone is questioning me? I must say though it's keeping me busy.

Is there a place I can go to read what the likes of FIFY etc mean? 

Queens related I was wondering about the £50k we're getting - is that only for testing? 

And has anything been mentioned about the reserves? Have any of ours been released or are they still under contract till after we get back to playing? 

Any chance we can get back to the football related posts regarding the assembling and when we try to build a squad for next season

Nothing worth talking about football wise really. Unless we discuss what players we'd like to see come in which is utterly pointless given we won't know if we will even be FT or PT by the time we return to Palmerston.

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Nothing worth talking about football wise really. Unless we discuss what players we'd like to see come in which is utterly pointless given we won't know if we will even be FT or PT by the time we return to Palmerston.

Sorry you think the way the recent posts have gone is preferable to speculating on next years squad.  I wonder if it would be a start to promote Leighfield and Gourlay in as starters with a back line of Mercer Gourlay Semple and Holt  and Dobbie and Murray up front  I would hope we can find 2 proper holding midfielders and atleast one creative mid fielder. The first half of the season before last season had one half of the best of Harkins and we were creating chances for Dobbie to score loads of goals. I am not saying get Harkins back but a play maker like him would be good.  At least the support would get something to get excited about. Any idea who could fill that roll?

Sorry you think the way the recent posts have gone is preferable to speculating on next years squad.  I wonder if it would be a start to promote Leighfield and Gourlay in as starters with a back line of Mercer Gourlay Semple and Holt  and Dobbie and Murray up front  I would hope we can find 2 proper holding midfielders and atleast one creative mid fielder. The first half of the season before last season had one half of the best of Harkins and we were creating chances for Dobbie to score loads of goals. I am not saying get Harkins back but a play maker like him would be good.  At least the support would get something to get excited about. Any idea who could fill that roll?
Given how quiet it's been I'm happy to see any sort of discussion in here. My point is you're speaking as if the last few posts have detracted from all the football talk. There's very little worth speaking about. We haven't any idea when football will be back at Palmerston or know what sort of state we'll be in. That's about the only discussion we can have and even then it's all speculation.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, baw heid said:

Given how quiet it's been I'm happy to see any sort of discussion in here. My point is you're speaking as if the last few posts have detracted from all the football talk. There's very little worth speaking about. We haven't any idea when football will be back at Palmerston or know what sort of state we'll be in. That's about the only discussion we can have and even then it's all speculation.

I agree with all that but a bit of speculation is fine by me and the opinions and knowledge of Dumfries football fans matters to me at this time of my football deprivation. I kind of rely on this site for information and speculation on how decisions on high could affect all our football teams.

I would like to see the likes of Murray, Mercer, Semple, Kilday and Lyons come back into the squad once we are re-signing players. I think having some sort of core of 8-10 players who have played together (albeit fairly poorly in the latter part of the season) is preferable to having to bring in around 12-15 new players and trying to gel a whole new squad (again).
I just wonder if our decision not to extend their furlough wages will put some of them off from re-signing for the club?

1 hour ago, baw heid said:

I agree with all that but a bit of speculation is fine by me and the opinions and knowledge of Dumfries football fans matters to me at this time of my football deprivation. I kind of rely on this site for information and speculation on how decisions on high could affect all our football teams.

Well said. There was only so much I could read about the club online and like you, value the opinions and knowledge of my fellow supporters. Trying to give this a go as I don't get to games anymore unfortunately so when the football does start back up I'd like to hear about the game from fans and hear their different thoughts. Why that was questioned is beyond me.

I've had a good read and I think once we have more to talk about then some of the nonsense will stop. I dont know why some people are reluctant to talk about football on a football forum. Wether that be pure speculation or not. 

As for speculation, how about Willie Gibson next season? (I did ask a football related question about the reserves but no one has got back to me about that yet.) He's still at the club as far as I'm aware and he's still really fit. Maybe an idea if players are hard to come by when we start again.

1 hour ago, sidofthesouth said:

I would like to see the likes of Murray, Mercer, Semple, Kilday and Lyons come back into the squad once we are re-signing players. I think having some sort of core of 8-10 players who have played together (albeit fairly poorly in the latter part of the season) is preferable to having to bring in around 12-15 new players and trying to gel a whole new squad (again).
I just wonder if our decision not to extend their furlough wages will put some of them off from re-signing for the club?

I don't think it will as most clubs are in the same position  Could be that the clubs at our level who make the earliest decision to start recruiting could benefit from the uncertainty the players are feeling at the moment. The article I read by Garry Oliver certainly laid out the worries they have

Hopefully the manager starts to make a move very soon to get a core of his squad sorted I would like to see him get a squad of young hungry players 23 and under assembled next season along with an experienced pro in each area of the field & try to keep and develop a squad over 2/3 seasons. 

Gary Harkins has just announced his retirement from football at the grand old age of 35.

My best memory of Gary at Queens was his goal against Ayr in the 5-0 rout! He risked his life running in front of the Ayr support rubbing his stomach due to the pelters he was getting from them about his weight!

Very talented player who probably didn’t look after himself in the later stages of his career. Shame......

Possibly, but lets face it. Beggars can't be choosers. Given how awful we were last season I doubt our former players are high on the radar of other clubs. Add in the fact the will have been eating into their savings for a couple of months some might be happy if QoS were to get there first. Time will tell but I won't lose sleep if none of them return.

Hopefully the manager starts to make a move very soon to get a core of his squad sorted I would like to see him get a squad of young hungry players 23 and under assembled next season along with an experienced pro in each area of the field & try to keep and develop a squad over 2/3 seasons. 

He can't make a move until we have a date set in stone. That was kind of my point earlier today.

48 minutes ago, Sankasouthy said:

Gary Harkins has just announced his retirement from football at the grand old age of 35.

My best memory of Gary at Queens was his goal against Ayr in the 5-0 rout! He risked his life running in front of the Ayr support rubbing his stomach due to the pelters he was getting from them about his weight!

Very talented player who probably didn’t look after himself in the later stages of his career. Shame......

I remember that goal and I liked that the whole team joined in. 60 minutes he was fine but as he tired he resorted to showboating . always thought he should have been substituted after an hour.

5 hours ago, baw heid said:

I am not saying get Harkins back but a play maker like him would be good.  At least the support would get something to get excited about. Any idea who could fill that roll?

Danny Swanson is free...

5 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Thought the manager was furloughed and wasn't able to do any work at the moment for Queens. Other managers who are working may be able to start making contacts and plans