The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Good to see this message got through :rolleyes:

Should it have? 

No

26 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

Anyone know how you block users comments on the mobile platform? Asking for a friend....

If you're logged in on the browser on mobile then click the menu button top right > account > ignored users. If you're on the app then I don't know.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:
1 hour ago, eibbod nehpets said:
Should it have? 

No

Yeah, it should.

Ach, we'll see then won't we.

38 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

Grand!

You're welcome 

Or Truth Stings a Bit, Truth Causes me to Yelp, Truth Smarts.
I thought it was him for a while but then he put a name on here randomly one night of someone from the town which made me think he was younger. I think he was someone else tbh. Just as irritating mind you.

Or Truth Stings a Bit, Truth Causes me to Yelp, Truth Smarts.
I thought it was him for a while but then he put a name on here randomly one night of someone from the town which made me think he was younger. I think he was someone else tbh. Just as irritating mind you.
I don't think it was him either

On 30/05/2020 at 14:53, eibbod nehpets said:

It makes more sense to train in Hamilton.

A lot of players we sign stay in or around the central belt, the good majority of them won't want to travel that extra hour or so (on top of whatever already) to train 2/3 times a week and then again for the home game. 

We struggle to attract half decent players who put a shift in as it is - throw in that amount of traveling on a poor wage then there's no chance we'll attract decent players. 

As for attracting players south of the border - with the exception of some - I'd much rather we didn't go down that route again.

We should now try a mix of part time and full time players .

Have a core of the likes of Dobbie and Holt plus maybe another 4 or 5 then add part time players nowadays part time  players are just as fit as full time .

There are more players now at our level who would rather be part time it is a myth that you can't compete in the Championship when part time look at Alloa and Arbroath .

We seem to think that because we are full time that somehow makes us better if anything we are getting worse something has to change . 

We should now try a mix of part time and full time players .
Have a core of the likes of Dobbie and Holt plus maybe another 4 or 5 then add part time players nowadays part time  players are just as fit as full time .
There are more players now at our level who would rather be part time it is a myth that you can't compete in the Championship when part time look at Alloa and Arbroath .
We seem to think that because we are full time that somehow makes us better if anything we are getting worse something has to change . 

I don't think anyone has ever said PT teams can't compete at this level. Ourselves, Dumbarton, Arbroath and Alloa have all shown you can compete. The argument is that PT will never compete at the top of the league. We fail to do that FT so PT may not be the end of the world though it would certainly look to be a backwards step.

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think anyone has ever said PT teams can't compete at this level. Ourselves, Dumbarton, Arbroath and Alloa have all shown you can compete. The argument is that PT will never compete at the top of the league. We fail to do that FT so PT may not be the end of the world though it would certainly look to be a backwards step.

Quite agree.  The only slight advantage,  not including wages,  is that preparation for  midweek  matches  might be better if you don't have to do a days work beforehand. I can't say we look that much fitter than when we were part time. 

I don't think it was ever really a question of players becoming fitter, or even necessarily better if they train full-time.

It was about full-time status enabling us to have better players, ie the kind good enough to make a living out of playing the game.

During the last couple of seasons though, it's been clear that the guys we're employing are in the main, no better than plenty part-time ones.

Going part-time again, probably would be a backward step, but not a huge one from where we now find ourselves.  If it's necessary, or even just advisable, then fair enough.  It wouldn't much trouble me.

Yeah we are long way from the 80s and 90s when there was a significant difference in fitness between full time and part time players generally. I doubt we ever had a fitter player thsn Steve Bowey and he was part time. Its not really directly a fitness thing. 

Its more about concentrating fully on football without wasting mental and physical energy on other jobs and getting more time to work on tactics and set pieces etc (yes, I know before anyone else says it..... ). And as MT says the bettrr players tend to want to be full time as long as they can be and dont go part time until its a last resort. There are exceptions (see Tam O'Brien, Rory McAllister etc) but they are exceptions for a reason. 

Whilst the gap between the best part time sides and worst full time ones has clearly narrowed and sides like Alloa and Arbroath are able to compete well its still the case that ultimately part time sides rarely last long at this level. Alloa have done very well to hang around here for most of the last 5 or 6 years but they were never out of the bottom three. Arbroath have had a great season but their 5th spot probably owes something to the early finish. That and Dumbarton's 5th spot in 2013 when there were three part time sides at the level and the likes of Rangers and Dunfermline were playing at a lower level due to financial shenanigans are the only times a part time side have finished top half this decade. 

Going part time might well prove necessary for a way forward in a reduced income scenario. There is little doubt though we will be poorer for it though and our chances of relegation will significantly increase.

Guest Flash

I think our chances of relegation might increase a little, although that shower last season was heading straight down and the one the season before would have gone straight down but for an injury time falling over. However, our chances of promotion to the Premiership would be unaffected.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Going part time might well prove necessary for a way forward in a reduced income scenario. There is little doubt though we will be poorer for it though and our chances of relegation will significantly increase.

I get your logic, but I'm not actually convinced of the above.  

It certainly feels that it would reduce any chances of making the play-offs and getting promoted.  The evidence of the last two seasons tells us that's a million miles away now anyway, whereas our chances of being relegated scarcely look capable of being enhanced.