The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
4 hours ago, qos1990 said:
Mercer saying his goodbyes on social media

I expect he'll be back at Palmerston lining up against us. Thought he was absolutely brutal to begin with but he developed well. Would have been happy if he re-signed however given how shite we've been defensively over the last few seasons I also won't lose sleep over him going. Wish him well (apart from against us).

I never really saw this "absolutely brutal" player that others saw. There's no doubt he took a bit of time to find his feet and we didn't see the best of him until his 2nd season after a full time pre-season but I don't recall him being particularly dreadful in the first one either. He displaced Jamie Hamill very quickly and, other than one absolute roasting from Lewis Morgan (he was far from the only full back ripped a new one by Morgan that season) he did ok. No better than that but ok. He gradually improved to one of our steadier players though. I think he got better every season he was here and he's still only 25 this month. If he doesn't eventually come back someone will get a decent enough full back at this level.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I never really saw this "absolutely brutal" player that others saw. There's no doubt he took a bit of time to find his feet and we didn't see the best of him until his 2nd season after a full time pre-season but I don't recall him being particularly dreadful in the first one either. He displaced Jamie Hamill very quickly and, other than one absolute roasting from Lewis Morgan (he was far from the only full back ripped a new one by Morgan that season) he did ok. No better than that but ok. He gradually improved to one of our steadier players though. I think he got better every season he was here and he's still only 25 this month. If he doesn't eventually come back someone will get a decent enough full back at this level.

Yes Merc has proved himself a good fullback at this level always a very committed player that gave 100% effort for the team every time. 

"If he doesn't eventually come back" What does that mean? 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

7 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

I'd imagine it simply means that many of the freed players won't necessarily get scooped up by someone else.  When eventually, we're recruiting again, it might be that he's someone we'd look to hire if he's still available.

9 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Yes Merc has proved himself a good fullback at this level always a very committed player that gave 100% effort for the team every time. 

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd imagine it simply means that many of the freed players won't necessarily get scooped up by someone else.  When eventually, we're recruiting again, it might be that he's someone we'd look to hire if he's still available.

Thats exactly what I meant. I dont think anyone outside the Premiership will be signing any new players any time soon, doubtful even Premiership sides will sign many. The future is too uncertain.

Sadly I doubt Merce or many of our other departing players are likely to attract Premier interest.