The Queen of the South thread

5 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Surely during these times this could be an opportunity for Queens to get training etc based in Dumfries rather than Hamilton, The club has all the facilities available in Dumfries and could attract players from North & South of the border. The club at this time prob has more clout regarding getting players to train etc in Dumfries. 

Time will tell, hopefully sooner than later players etc will get signed and we will get football started back in some form or another. 

It makes more sense to train in Hamilton.

A lot of players we sign stay in or around the central belt, the good majority of them won't want to travel that extra hour or so (on top of whatever already) to train 2/3 times a week and then again for the home game. 

We struggle to attract half decent players who put a shift in as it is - throw in that amount of traveling on a poor wage then there's no chance we'll attract decent players. 

As for attracting players south of the border - with the exception of some - I'd much rather we didn't go down that route again.

3 hours ago, eibbod nehpets said:

It makes more sense to train in Hamilton.

A lot of players we sign stay in or around the central belt, the good majority of them won't want to travel that extra hour or so (on top of whatever already) to train 2/3 times a week and then again for the home game. 

We struggle to attract half decent players who put a shift in as it is - throw in that amount of traveling on a poor wage then there's no chance we'll attract decent players. 

As for attracting players south of the border - with the exception of some - I'd much rather we didn't go down that route again.

I don’t think players are going to be in a position to be too choosy about offers they may or may not get.

Would save the club a fortune to train at Palmerston unless someone tells me different mind.

Certainly easier for Dobbie and Holt. But I do agree that in normal circumstances Hamilton is by far a better option. 

Surely during these times this could be an opportunity for Queens to get training etc based in Dumfries rather than Hamilton, The club has all the facilities available in Dumfries and could attract players from North & South of the border. The club at this time prob has more clout regarding getting players to train etc in Dumfries. Possibly players from a distance could flat share in Dumfries as the did In Hamilton? Sure the Chairman/board will know of someone with a flat they could get cheap. 
Time will tell, hopefully sooner than later players etc will get signed and we will get football started back in some form or another. 
I don’t think players are going to be in a position to be too choosy about offers they may or may not get.
Would save the club a fortune to train at Palmerston unless someone tells me different mind.

Certainly easier for Dobbie and Holt. But I do agree that in normal circumstances Hamilton is by far a better option. 
I can't see many 20 year olds leaving the Central belt for the bright lights of Dumfries tbh. There is absolutely nothing here for younger folk. We don't even have a cinema ffs. We won't be paying good enough wages to entice them to move and I doubt it would be good financially to pay travel expenses. As has been discussed to death, The Connolly Experiment was eventually successful but after a lot of trial and error. Emphasis on the error part. I think it would be suicidal to bring training back here.

Training at Hamilton is probably the most convenient for the majority of players, (assuming when we actually  do sign players the majority are from the Central Belt),  but at least 1 session a week should be held at Palmerston,   not least to try and master playing on the surface. 

9 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Training at Hamilton is probably the most convenient for the majority of players, (assuming when we actually  do sign players the majority are from the Central Belt),  but at least 1 session a week should be held at Palmerston,   not least to try and master playing on the surface. 

I so much agree with you on the use of Palmerston but if costs need to be cut then removing the costs of Hamilton might be a short term issue. Also running a reserve squad may have to be looked at.  Sustainability will be a major result of this pandemic and as maintaining the club is always the main concern of the board, quite rightly, nothing could surprise me.

On 29/05/2020 at 22:38, queenslad said:

Watched the last 1s of Scotland Sweden world cup match from 1990 tonight from just after we went 2 up. For a while I thought I was watching Queens, almost losing a two goal lead, cross ball leading to there goal, was it a keepers or defenders ball but neither moved allowing attacker acres of room, several opportunities to break but always caught off side, playing balls out to full backs who cannot control ball and allow it to go out for thro ins, then that 92min starmash in the box

Even after 30 years some things never change

That was the first time I watched the game on TV and the way the defence held out at the end was testament to the attitude of the squad. The defending started from the front and the whole team were responding to the harsh criticism they got from the Costa Rica game by not only the press but also by the Tartan Army. I was at the game and I can state that the team got the backing of the vast support not just the Tartan Army but also the Italians. I watched more talented squads before Genoa but for effort these lads were the best.

It shows what a group of players can do if they are motivated and determined  A bit of this at Palmerston and Queens will be fine. 

That was the first time I watched the game on TV and the way the defence held out at the end was testament to the attitude of the squad. The defending started from the front and the whole team were responding to the harsh criticism they got from the Costa Rica game by not only the press but also by the Tartan Army. I was at the game and I can state that the team got the backing of the vast support not just the Tartan Army but also the Italians. I watched more talented squads before Genoa but for effort these lads were the best.

It shows what a group of players can do if they are motivated and determined  A bit of this at Palmerston and Queens will be fine. 

Yep I was at that game and agree the backing of the team was superb that night. It was a real gutsy display against a very decent Swedish team. There were some Swedish fans in the row in from of us. When we scored the 2nd goal they got up to leave and wished us all the best. We persuaded them to stay by saying trust us this is Scotland, Sweden will score, this game isn’t over yet! A great night.

1 hour ago, weeredbook said:

There was talk of the astro being replaced .

I'd be surprised if we see any substantial upgrades at Palmerston in the near future with a fragile economic climate ahead,  and I'm not just referring to the playing surface. 

10 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'd be surprised if we see any substantial upgrades at Palmerston in the near future with a fragile economic climate ahead,  and I'm not just referring to the playing surface. 

Yep you're right. 

Maybe the family who tidied up Terregles street end could do the other side too.

Episodes 1 (Andy Aitken) and 2 (Steven Bowey) of The Doonhame Podcast now available on Anchor and Spotify [emoji41].

Episode 1 - Andy Aitken

Anchor: https://anchor.fm/finlay-jack/episodes/Episode-1---Andy-Aitken-ee25mc

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/53cXyQJylroUtLdUUqnA1K?si=04Ea6InHRXywKcqo51hlGA

Episode 2 - Steven Bowey

Anchor: https://anchor.fm/finlay-jack/episodes/Episode-2---Steven-Bowey-eembs6

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0xSKSq3DjgN5WUyqyMecVs?si=H47M_90vR46crHAuQsnkWw

Great chats with great players for the Doonhamers, some cracking stories in there too. Enjoy! [emoji170]

Mercer saying his goodbyes on social media
I expect he'll be back at Palmerston lining up against us. Thought he was absolutely brutal to begin with but he developed well. Would have been happy if he re-signed however given how shite we've been defensively over the last few seasons I also won't lose sleep over him going. Wish him well (apart from against us).