The Queen of the South thread

Having seen a reasonable amount of Connor Murray when he was mainly a Reserves player I'm a big fan but I don't think there's any doubt that his best position is the one generally occupied by Dobbie, as a 2nd striker. Playing behind either a battering ram of a centre forward or a mobile runner who will stretch defences. He was never going to displace Dobbie though so his first team appearances when Dobbie has been fit have been in a wider role in either a front three or a midfield four. He's not brilliant defensively, as El Bhak wasn't either so the 4-3-3 position suits him better but being the 2nd striker in a 4-4-2 would be better still.

I'm a little surprised by the amount of split opinions on him. For me he was our best player not called Dobbie or Dykes at the back end of last season and he was our best player full stop in the first couple of months of this one. Despite playing away from his best position.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
4 hours ago, eibbod nehpets said:
If you'd like to know who else this has been said about then basically every striker we've had under 6ft. 

So two players then aye?

Read again. 

Or are you finding it difficult to name more than 2 strikers under 6 ft? 

17 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
26 minutes ago, eibbod nehpets said:
Read again. 

Just because you say "any striker under 6 foot" doesn't make it true.

Was Gavin Reilly under 6 foot or could he make 6 foot on his tippy toes?  I'm not sure if I can sleep tonight without knowing the answer to this :(

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
9 hours ago, eibbod nehpets said:
Read again. 

Just because you say "any striker under 6 foot" doesn't make it true.

It is. You're usually one of the first to jump on the bandwagon so of course you're disagreeing. 

9 hours ago, Parttimesupporter said:

Was Gavin Reilly under 6 foot or could he make 6 foot on his tippy toes?  I'm not sure if I can sleep tonight without knowing the answer to this :(

Mate you're hilarious. 

1 hour ago, eibbod nehpets said:

It is. You're usually one of the first to jump on the bandwagon so of course you're disagreeing. 

Mate you're hilarious. 

Uh huh. Go and find a post where I've said such a thing apart from in regards to Dobbie. You won't find one, but at least it'll keep you occupied for a few hours. 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Uh huh. Go and find a post where I've said such a thing apart from in regards to Dobbie. You won't find one, but at least it'll keep you occupied for a few hours. 

I don't care if you have or haven't.  Me referring to you jumping on the bandwagon was meant in general.

1 hour ago, eibbod nehpets said:

I don't care if you have or haven't.  Me referring to you jumping on the bandwagon was meant in general.

7 minutes ago, eibbod nehpets said:

YeT moRe ShIt

On 23/05/2020 at 17:47, die hard doonhamer said:

Jesus f**k. Go away.

Hi Lads - hope you're all well. Just dropping in to say I have just created a new Scottish Football magazine and Callum Tapping features in the first issue. He talks about his career to date and we spoke a bit about his time at Queen of The South - it is a really good and interesting read! If you're interested, you can order via the link below: 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scottkelly/stonewaller-magazine-number-1?ref=project_build

1 hour ago, BendtnerBairn said:

Hi Lads - hope you're all well. Just dropping in to say I have just created a new Scottish Football magazine and Callum Tapping features in the first issue. He talks about his career to date and we spoke a bit about his time at Queen of The South - it is a really good and interesting read! If you're interested, you can order via the link below: 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scottkelly/stonewaller-magazine-number-1?ref=project_build

£10 for a magazine??

Watched the last 1s of Scotland Sweden world cup match from 1990 tonight from just after we went 2 up. For a while I thought I was watching Queens, almost losing a two goal lead, cross ball leading to there goal, was it a keepers or defenders ball but neither moved allowing attacker acres of room, several opportunities to break but always caught off side, playing balls out to full backs who cannot control ball and allow it to go out for thro ins, then that 92min starmash in the box

Even after 30 years some things never change

4 hours ago, BendtnerBairn said:

The Callum Tapping feature is also on our website, my friend, so you can always read it there! :) Here is the link to that: 

https://www.stonewallermag.co.uk/post/callum-tapping-best-angus-in-town

I really enjoyed the interview. Good guy Tappy. Really unlucky with two long term injuries while here. There were times when he looked capable of being a top player with us but injuries were never far away. He managed only 30 odd appearances in 2.5 seasons.

A minor criticism is the implication that he signed for Gary Naysmith. He didnt. He signed for James Fowler and played his first season under him. He then worked briefly under Gavin Skelton and Jim Thomson in his 2nd season before Gary Naysmith arrived. Naysmith was his manager for only the last year of his time.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I really enjoyed the interview. Good guy Tappy. Really unlucky with two long term injuries while here. There were times when he looked capable of being a top player with us but injuries were never far away. He managed only 30 odd appearances in 2.5 seasons.

A minor criticism is the implication that he signed for Gary Naysmith. He didnt. He signed for James Fowler and played his first season under him. He then worked briefly under Gavin Skelton and Jim Thomson in his 2nd season before Gary Naysmith arrived. Naysmith was his manager for only the last year of his time.

Thank you mate! With regards to the Naysmith one, I was just meaning he got the chance to work with him during his time (linking it to how he worked with another Hearts legend in Hartley at Alloa) - but I know what you mean! 

Glad you enjoyed it though! 

9 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

Thank you mate! With regards to the Naysmith one, I was just meaning he got the chance to work with him during his time (linking it to how he worked with another Hearts legend in Hartley at Alloa) - but I know what you mean! 

Glad you enjoyed it though! 

Yeah, I realise what you meant but it very much reads like he signed because of Naysmith. As I say, it was a minor nitpick.

Surely during these times this could be an opportunity for Queens to get training etc based in Dumfries rather than Hamilton, The club has all the facilities available in Dumfries and could attract players from North & South of the border. The club at this time prob has more clout regarding getting players to train etc in Dumfries. Possibly players from a distance could flat share in Dumfries as the did In Hamilton? Sure the Chairman/board will know of someone with a flat they could get cheap. 

Time will tell, hopefully sooner than later players etc will get signed and we will get football started back in some form or another. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH