The Queen of the South thread

Most of our playing squad had contracts up to the end of this month and it's not unusual for some not to be offered new contracts until closer to the season starting. Using the furlough scheme for another month, when we were highly unlikely to retain most of them (remember this squad was in line to get us relegated but for the lockdown) smacks to me as abusing the scheme. I'm more concerned with the fate of the club's non playing staff who to be honest go the extra mile for the club. The chairman and the Board's priority is the sustainability of the club and sometimes they require to take decisions that are unpopular in some quarters.

A bit in today's paper about him.  Seems he had to play 20 games to trigger the second year of his contract. The season being stopped early meant he didn't make it so he's been punted with the others. 

According to the stats on our official site Oliver made 19 appearances in a curtailed season. Ouch.

Edit to add the article in press confirms 13 league starts with 8 games to go and he needed 20 league starts.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gary-oliver-misses-queen-south-22081203.amp

Well done to Billy and the rest of the board. I'd like to say it wasn't an easy decision but it probably couldn't have been any easier. The club comes before giving out handouts. I would much rather see my club still here in the near future than a bunch of duds who have done sweet f all when called upon. 

30 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

According to the stats on our official site Oliver made 19 appearances in a curtailed season. Ouch.

Edit to add the article in press confirms 13 league starts with 8 games to go and he needed 20 league starts.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gary-oliver-misses-queen-south-22081203.amp

Yes,  I should have clarified in my original post  it meant league matches.  

To me it makes the announcement of him being given a two year contract when he signed a bit misleading if the second year was reliant on him making X number of appearances in the first season. 

4 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

It's a real emotional rollercoaster just now between feeling genuinely sorry for all footballers at this level and below (and anyone else in any industry for that matter) facing uncertainty over their futures, and being absolutely delighted to see these shysters punted from the club.

Kinda this.  I don't know that I'm "delighted" by any of it, but it's true that the vast majority of the released players were likely to have been let go anyway.

Notions of merit were likely to see them jobless at this point, with or without the aid of a pandemic.  However, they're now without a club at the worst possible time to try and remedy it.  Oliver sounds like he's been particularly unfortunate.  He wasn't very good, but if his non-renewal is as presented, it sounds pretty poor to be honest.

It's not the first time though, that I've thought it must be hideously stressful and precarious to try squeezing a living out of full-time football at this level.  That inherent insecurity has obviously been exacerbated by current circumstances.

55 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Kinda this.  I don't know that I'm "delighted" by any of it, but it's true that the vast majority of the released players were likely to have been let go anyway.

Notions of merit were likely to see them jobless at this point, with or without the aid of a pandemic.  However, they're now without a club at the worst possible time to try and remedy it.  Oliver sounds like he's been particularly unfortunate.  He wasn't very good, but if his non-renewal is as presented, it sounds pretty poor to be honest.

It's not the first time though, that I've thought it must be hideously stressful and precarious to try squeezing a living out of full-time football at this level.  That inherent insecurity has obviously been exacerbated by current circumstances.

How much a year do you think the average player for us makes including any bonuses. I don't know how many of them can make enough without the need of another income stream in normal times. 

Then they mostly have the month or two in the summer with no club so no wages coming in also.  Kind of glad I just had a kick about at the fives and never went down the footballer route.  😏

So Oliver had started 13 of 28 games played, and needed to start 7 of the last 8 to get an extra year. He had started the last 3 games before the premature end to the season, but I would still suggest it was unlikely that he'd have made the threshold by the end of the season.

Oliver's seems a strange type of contract to me,  fair enough signing for a year with the option of extending it to two years if both parties agree,  but to base it on having to make a certain number of league  starts/appearances very much skews it in the Club's favour. Also the possibility of injury could restrict appearances.  It may be a common enough type of agreement though,  others more informed will know.

19 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Oliver's seems a strange type of contract to me,  fair enough signing for a year with the option of extending it to two years if both parties agree,  but to base it on having to make a certain number of league  starts/appearances very much skews it in the Club's favour. Also the possibility of injury could restrict appearances.  It may be a common enough type of agreement though,  others more informed will know.

Get where your coming from .

He signed the contract.

His agent will have agreed he should sign it .

Players hold all the aces , it's not unusual  to have an appearance clause .

1 hour ago, weeredbook said:

Get where your coming from .

He signed the contract.

His agent will have agreed he should sign it .

Players hold all the aces , it's not unusual  to have an appearance clause .

The player doesn’t hold all the aces at all.

If the player plays well enough he gets a new contract.

If the player is poor, gets injured, falls out with the manager then no deal as he won’t play enough games.

All in the clubs favour I would think.

1 hour ago, SueSue said:

The player doesn’t hold all the aces at all.

If the player plays well enough he gets a new contract.

If the player is poor, gets injured, falls out with the manager then no deal as he won’t play enough games.

All in the clubs favour I would think.

The player decides if he signs the new contract ,not the club 

Brownlie had a contract , do you think that was in the clubs favour ? .

He decided he wanted to go , all in the clubs favour

Edited by weeredbook

12 minutes ago, weeredbook said:

The player decides if he signs the new contract ,not the club 

Brownlie had a contract , do you think that was in the clubs favour ? .

He decided he wanted to go , all in the clubs favour ? 

We are talking about Oliver’s contract where he needs to play so many games to be given a new contract. It’s nothing to do with a contract which is not based on appearances.

These contracts are all in the clubs favour. Do I really need to explain again

1 minute ago, SueSue said:

We are talking about Oliver’s contract where he needs to play so many games to be given a new contract. It’s nothing to do with a contract which is not based on appearances.

These contracts are all in the clubs favour. Do I really need to explain again

You don't need to explain anything .

If we've learned anything from Baird, Kerr, El Bak and Brownlie it's that contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on if the player doesn't want to play anymore. I'm glad the club have a clause like Oliver's in place*. At least we can get shot if they are gutter.

* Not so much in these circumstances mind you.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If we've learned anything from Baird, Kerr, El Bak and Brownlie it's that contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on if the player doesn't want to play anymore. I'm glad the club have a clause like Oliver's in place*. At least we can get shot if they are gutter.

* Not so much in these circumstances mind you.

Totally agree. If he performs he stays if for whatever reason it does not work out then the club is not lumbered