The Queen of the South thread

I think you will find it is pretty accurate....... 

Presumably not accurate re Gary Oliver unless we’ve chosen to pay off the remainder of his contract which would seem a bizarre move if the government were already paying 80% of it. Again it’s quite likely I’ve missed something here but I can’t understand the finances if Oliver hasn’t been kept on.

10 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Time now for a statement from the board to clarify the press news. 

Should it not have been the club publishing a statement about releasing players and then the Sun creating a news article about it. 

Instead of the other way about...

3 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Should it not have been the club publishing a statement about releasing players and then the Sun creating a news article about it. 

Instead of the other way about...

The club never announce players as having been released, haven't done so for many years. Not commenting is just a continuation of the norm.

Guest Flash
8 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The club never announce players as having been released, haven't done so for many years. Not commenting is just a continuation of the norm.

True, but the circumstances are different this year. 

If they are out of contract then I see nothing wrong with what Queens have done (or Dunfermline). The club needs to look after itself here and if they have honoured the contracts then everything is fine IMO.

I hope the boys not given new contracts are ok financially for the time being. I assume they will have to sign on just now? But from our point of view it's a blessing in a way as we get to clear out the absolute dross. Though I doubt they will be signing for any other club just now so we may well see a few of them back next season.

Guest Flash

Is it possible that the contracts don’t include an option to extend? If so, they might have to be given new contracts which, under current rules, have to run to the next window. That would mean the club risking having players under contract, with no football and only partial, or no, furlough.

29 minutes ago, Flash said:

Is it possible that the contracts don’t include an option to extend? If so, they might have to be given new contracts which, under current rules, have to run to the next window. That would mean the club risking having players under contract, with no football and only partial, or no, furlough.

As far as I know, its the player registration that has to run to the next window, not the actual employment contract.

The Ayr chairman has just been on the radio talking about it. They're interpretation is different and they are looking to extend the contracts and continuing to furlough players

ETA - going by the other thread on here and whats being said on the radio, it seems to be some clubs are getting advice that the HMRC might take issue with contracts being extended when theres no intention of keeping them on

Edited by Mr X

40 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If they are out of contract then I see nothing wrong with what Queens have done (or Dunfermline). The club needs to look after itself here and if they have honoured the contracts then everything is fine IMO.

I hope the boys not given new contracts are ok financially for the time being. I assume they will have to sign on just now? But from our point of view it's a blessing in a way as we get to clear out the absolute dross. Though I doubt they will be signing for any other club just now so we may well see a few of them back next season.

What’s the script with Dobbie ? How longs his contract ? What’s his weekly wage ? Who pays it ?

Is there no scope for the club to get some, even temporary investment from that avenue ?

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

As far as I know, its the player registration that has to run to the next window, not the actual employment contract.
The Ayr chairman has just been on the radio talking about it. They're interpretation is different and they are looking to extend the contracts and continuing to furlough players
ETA - going by the other thread on here and whats being said on the radio, it seems to be some clubs are getting advice that the HMRC might take issue with contracts being extended when theres no intention of keeping them on

Sounds to me that we’re keeping players on rolling monthly deals and not registering them which I don’t see anything wrong with.

Guest Flash
16 minutes ago, Mr X said:

In the SPFL Player Regulations annexed to the SPFL rules it says that (apart from emergency loans) contracts of service must be for the period to the next Registration Period.

As I said on another thread, you’d think it would make sense for the SPFL to get clarification from HMRC whether clubs could provide contract extensions to allow them to be paid and covered by the furlough scheme. Seems a bit daft for them all to be taking individual advice, especially when the advice differs and is only an opinion rather than the definitive answer they’d get from HMRC. Maybe the SPFL have tried this and HMRC have refused to comment. Would seem odd, though.

As far as I know, its the player registration that has to run to the next window, not the actual employment contract. The Ayr chairman has just been on the radio talking about it. They're interpretation is different and they are looking to extend the contracts and continuing to furlough players

See that's my thinking. If they give them a two month contract and the Government are paying 80% of that then they will be forking out far more money than if the same players were just 'signing on'. I can see why HMRC would want that cut out tbf.

What’s the script with Dobbie ? How longs his contract ? What’s his weekly wage ? Who pays it ? Is there no scope for the club to get some, even temporary investment from that avenue ?

Signed for another season.

A year left.

No idea, ask Peter Houston.

Two external "fans" apparently.

Said "fans" have invested more than enough into the club in the past so I wouldn't think (or expect) so.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

See that's my thinking. If they give them a two month contract and the Government are paying 80% of that then they will be forking out far more money than if the same players were just 'signing on'. I can see why HMRC would want that cut out tbf.

A year left.

Said "fans" have invested more than enough into the club in the past so I wouldn't think (or expect) so.

Just wondered if there was opportunity for them to invest but obviously doing their bit anyway.

Cheers for the answer mate 👍 

15 minutes ago, Flash said:

In the SPFL Player Regulations annexed to the SPFL rules it says that (apart from emergency loans) contracts of service must be for the period to the next Registration Period.

As I said on another thread, you’d think it would make sense for the SPFL to get clarification from HMRC whether clubs could provide contract extensions to allow them to be paid and covered by the furlough scheme. Seems a bit daft for them all to be taking individual advice, especially when the advice differs and is only an opinion rather than the definitive answer they’d get from HMRC. Maybe the SPFL have tried this and HMRC have refused to comment. Would seem odd, though.

Yes, you would think it would make sense to get official clarification. Of course, maybe they have. Im certain clubs will have at least tried.

31 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

A year left.

Are people still peddling this nonsense that Dobbie is externally funded because someone once said it on the internet?

35 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Sounds to me that we’re keeping players on rolling monthly deals and not registering them which I don’t see anything wrong with.

You can't do rolling monthly deals. You can extend it once to a date beyond the next window opening, any further extension needs to run to January unless the football rules are to be changed. If Ayr are extending everyone to the end of June as has apparently been said then any further extension will be to January.

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Are people still peddling this nonsense that Dobbie is externally funded because someone once said it on the internet?

Not just from a post on the internet. It's common knowledge now that he is externally funded. 

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
31 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It wasn't the internet I first heard it tbh.

I've heard it so often on here, I'd pretty much assumed it must be the case.

You'd imagine that SD will have more grasp of the reality than most though.