The Queen of the South thread

If we could afford to sign 2 of the following 4 out of contract ex-players, who would you go for?
Joe Thomson
Gav Reilly
Jamie McDonald
Ian McShane

Probably Thomson & Reilly for me.

I'd go with MacDonald and Thomson. McCrorie has shown you can't put a price on a solid goalkeeper. JM would be a solid signing in that position and a good base for the defence. Thomson is a box to box midfielder who can be creative as well as get stuck in defensively.

Obviously I loved Gav and McShane in QoS jerseys and would be happy if either came back (though I doubt the former will be here anytime soon). But for this discussion, I'm skeptical Gav and Dobbie would work. We all know Dobbs is better suited with a tall striker beside him. McShane is good creatively but not as good at the dirty work as JT for me.

I expect it'll be a while before we make any signings but I'd be happy with any of those signing tbh.

34 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

If we could afford to sign 2 of the following 4 out of contract ex-players, who would you go for?
Joe Thomson
Gav Reilly
Jamie McDonald
Ian McShane

Thomson just getting over bad injury ,so plastic pitch is a no .

Gav Reilly  too expensive .

Jamie McDonald  would be great signing .

Ian McShane bone idol, and struts about like he is Zizou  .

Any Queens' fans on here old enough to remember them playing in the top flight? Although I started going to football in season 1963/64 - the season Queens were relegated - I didn't see Queens. (I didn't see 'Shire, either.) (I never saw Third Lanark play in the top flight - or at all, in fact.)

I eventually saw Queens in a League Cup sectional tie at Pittodrie in the early 70s, and saw them again in a pre season friendly in early August at Borough Briggs in 1973.

Finally saw East Strilingshire at Borough Briggs after Elgin "stepped up", once if not twice, on league duty. (May be getting them mixed up with Queen's Park whom I saw at BB a couple of times.)

Apropos Queen of the South, I recall the late journalist John Fairgrieve recounting an anecdote. He'd persuaded his father to take him to an away game and having first established that it wouldn't be Easter Road, settled on the farthest away, which was either Aberdeen or QoS. He settled on Queen of the South as "he liked the name".

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

1 hour ago, sidofthesouth said:

Joe Thomson
Gav Reilly
Jamie McDonald
Ian McShane

Gav. Need someone in to replace Dobbie.

Thomson just getting over bad injury ,so plastic pitch is a no.

Isn't this one of those comments regularly said but in no way based in fact? Wasn't there a study done that showed players were as likely to have an injury on grass than on plastic? Though I don't like our pitch, the quality of plastic pitches has gone up since the days of Sean O'Connor.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Isn't this one of those comments regularly said but in no way based in fact? Wasn't there a study done that showed players were as likely to have an injury on grass than on plastic? Though I don't like our pitch, the quality of plastic pitches has gone up since the days of Sean O'Connor.

The bulk of injuries that caused the bad reputation were due to incorrect footwear on plastic pitches (blades, in particular).

However, there is something in them being harder on your body. I always find that after a game running around on a plastic pitch my knees and hips are much stiffer than after a game on grass.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

4 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The bulk of injuries that caused the bad reputation were due to incorrect footwear on plastic pitches (blades, in particular).

However, there is something in them being harder on your body. I always find that after a game running around on a plastic pitch my knees and hips are much stiffer than after a game on grass.

You've basically answered your second paragraph with the first. If you wear the correct footwear and stretch and warm up properly on a plastic pitch then there's no reason why your knees and hips would be stiff after a game. Unless of course you're unfit or have an injury. 

Just now, eibbod nehpets said:

You've basically answered your second paragraph with the first. If you wear the correct footwear and stretch and warm up properly on a plastic pitch then there's no reason why your knees and hips would be stiff after a game. Unless of course you're unfit or have an injury. 

I am unfit, yes. There are valid reasons though, a plastic pitch is generally a bit harder than a grass pitch (courtesy of the concrete base), so it doesn't cause more injuries, per se, but it doesn't mean it won't cause more stiffness. Same reason people might enjoy running on grass instead of a concrete footpath.

I am unfit, yes. There are valid reasons though, a plastic pitch is generally a bit harder than a grass pitch (courtesy of the concrete base), so it doesn't cause more injuries, per se, but it doesn't mean it won't cause more stiffness. Same reason people might enjoy running on grass instead of a concrete footpath.
I've only played in goal so haven't done as much running but I always felt plastic pitches (especially Palmerston) had a bit more bounce about them. Always surprised to hear they feel harder for other people.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'd go with MacDonald and Thomson. McCrorie has shown you can't put a price on a solid goalkeeper. JM would be a solid signing in that position and a good base for the defence. Thomson is a box to box midfielder who can be creative as well as get stuck in defensively.

Obviously I loved Gav and McShane in QoS jerseys and would be happy if either came back (though I doubt the former will be here anytime soon). But for this discussion, I'm skeptical Gav and Dobbie would work. We all know Dobbs is better suited with a tall striker beside him. McShane is good creatively but not as good at the dirty work as JT for me.

I expect it'll be a while before we make any signings but I'd be happy with any of those signing tbh.

OMG ... youre wrong! WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!

Happy Ftw GIF

Dobbie needs someone up front mainly to run channels and close down the ball out of possession, it doesnt have to be a tall striker. I think Reilly would be an ideal partner for Dobbie

Did I mention that you're wrong?

32 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Hmm sounds like you're just taking a guess at what the Palmerston pitch is like to play on. 

Have you played at Jocks or Holm park in the summer? Pitches are absolutely solid. Play at Palmerston in the summer and it isn't. The Palmerston pitch has a bouncy feel to it if you're wearing the correct footwear. 

200.gif&key=312ab59ccd513e5db1fed21f81ec3d5686ad189e1a2a6640ba2cd5a7e7c097be
Dobbie needs someone up front mainly to run channels and close down the ball out of possession, it doesnt have to be a tall striker. I think Reilly would be an ideal partner for Dobbie
I was intentionally wrong to give you a release, bud [emoji38]

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Steven MacLean was advised to stay off the pitches at Hamilton and Kilmarnock when with us due to previous knee injuries.

According to the surgeon they have less give than grass pitches so you get more "shock" through your knees, which wears everything down.

I would add the surgeon didnt say it would prevent him playing football, just that in later life it would cause him potentially major issues.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Happy Ftw GIF

Don't want to lose him but Ohara at Alloa would be perfect partner for Dobbie 

1 hour ago, eibbod nehpets said:

Hmm sounds like you're just taking a guess at what the Palmerston pitch is like to play on. 

Have you played at Jocks or Holm park in the summer? Pitches are absolutely solid. Play at Palmerston in the summer and it isn't. The Palmerston pitch has a bouncy feel to it if you're wearing the correct footwear. 

The conversation was never specifically about the Palmerston surface. I live in Perth so I haven't been on any of the pitches you mention, I'm just using my experience of running around on plastic pitches around here (St Johnstone have one, as do a couple of the schools and amateur clubs, and I've been on the one at links park in Montrose as well, and I'm a ref rather than a player, so always in cushioned trainers). I've always found that it takes longer to recover properly from a game on plastic than it does on grass.

Any Queens' fans on here old enough to remember them playing in the top flight? Although I started going to football in season 1963/64 - the season Queens were relegated - I didn't see Queens. (I didn't see 'Shire, either.) (I never saw Third Lanark play in the top flight - or at all, in fact.)
I eventually saw Queens in a League Cup sectional tie at Pittodrie in the early 70s, and saw them again in a pre season friendly in early August at Borough Briggs in 1973.
Finally saw East Strilingshire at Borough Briggs after Elgin "stepped up", once if not twice, on league duty. (May be getting them mixed up with Queen's Park whom I saw at BB a couple of times.)
Apropos Queen of the South, I recall the late journalist John Fairgrieve recounting an anecdote. He'd persuaded his father to take him to an away game and having first established that it wouldn't be Easter Road, settled on the farthest away, which was either Aberdeen or QoS. He settled on Queen of the South as "he liked the name".

QOS have played top flight in my lifetime but I didn’t see them play at that level. My dad took me to my first game in August 1965. Home match v Stranraer in the league cup. Specifically chosen as we had never lost to Stranraer. Stranraer won 2-1. A start that somehow to this day feels appropriate given the many low points witnessed over the years [emoji23]☹️

6 hours ago, Mr X said:

Happy Ftw GIF

Correct.

Reilly's energy and industry moved us up the park as a team.

Dobbie's relative ineffectiveness this season owed much to our failure to have any real possession in forward areas. 

I'd love to see the pair of them play together.  It won't happen though.  In fact there must be a danger that Dobbie won't get the chance to play for us again.