The Queen of the South thread

5 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

I see a lot of chat about 14 team premier but what is the plan for championship? Are they going to cobble something together to keep Partick up?!

Well they arent going to play it with only 8 clubs! If reconstruction happens in the top division then it has to fliter down the others too. Its at the bottom it becomes a problem if temporary. The Premiership can go back to 12 in a year but allowing Highland and Lowland sides for a year then chucking them back out is harder.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Full-time football can't be sustained on average crowds of 1400. It's time to repeat the John Connolly experiment of training in Dumfries and attracting the best part-time players from the Central Belt and North of England.

The John Connolly experiment wouldn't work since the introduction of transfer windows.

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
23 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:
Full-time football can't be sustained on average crowds of 1400. It's time to repeat the John Connolly experiment of training in Dumfries and attracting the best part-time players from the Central Belt and North of England.

The John Connolly experiment wouldn't work since the introduction of transfer markets.

The Transfer market existed back then. I think you mean transfer windows. We couldn't have the same turnover of players but i don't see why we couldn't tap into the best part-time talent in northern England.

As many have said already we've managed to get a 'get out of jail card' as a result of the season ending prematurely. But will we be any better off whenever the league (same or expanded league) starts again? Sadly I doubt it.  One thing many of us  agree on is that with the current management team we are highly unlikely to be one of the league leading clubs. I doubt even with a healthy budget that AJ and SC  are capable of improving our fortunes. 

The Transfer market existed back then. I think you mean transfer windows. We couldn't have the same turnover of players but i don't see why we couldn't tap into the best part-time talent in northern England.
I did yeah. I'm just remembering a few golden nuggets in a sea of dross from Connolly's time. We wouldn't have that luxury of sifting through the duds like Connolly did. And in all honesty, I wouldn't put faith in AJ picking the best ones either.

6 hours ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

Connolly's tapping into the talent from the North East was far more miss than hit. He admitted later himself that he underestimated the standards up here and overestimated the quality of players he could bring in from the North East. 

For all the dozens of players he brought across in his 1st year or so, by the time he actually built a promotion team it had two players from there in Weatherson and Atkinson. And  Alan Gray from Workington too. Weatherson was an outstanding signing and Atkinson did a great job for a time but the rest came and went very quickly. Even Gray never made the step up and was quickly jettisoned at 'Championship' level. (Bowey also was a superb signing but he had been a higher level than the others and only joined towards the end of the title season and was a bit part player at that point). 

The rest of the title squad were central belt based Scots or Scottish based players and Andy Aitken. 

With the season now confirmed as finished our final league home match would have been Inverness on Saturday 25th April so following the success of last week's virtual half time 50 50 draw myself and Greig are organising one for this date.The cost will be the same £1 per entry and you can have as many entries as you want.The money taken in will be split between the winner,Queen's and the local NHS.We also have the following prizes donated by the club
1st prize equal split of money taken in
2nd prize season 20/21 home top
3rd prize 20/21 away top
4th prize signed ball
5th prize signed centenary print
6th prize season 19/20 home top
7th prize season 19/20 away top
As we all realise all clubs will be finding things tough financially during this current situation with limited income.So it would be amazing if we could try and beat last week's £1650 we made for the club.Any questions please email pengie1919@googlemail.com
It's the same bank details as last time and for anyone who missed out last time please message Ross Corbett or Greig Corbett for payment details.Please leave your name and number of entries on this post
Thanks in advance

With the season now confirmed as finished our final league home match would have been Inverness on Saturday 25th April so following the success of last week's virtual half time 50 50 draw myself and Greig are organising one for this date.The cost will be the same £1 per entry and you can have as many entries as you want.The money taken in will be split between the winner,Queen's and the local NHS.We also have the following prizes donated by the club

1st prize equal split of money taken in

2nd prize season 20/21 home top

3rd prize 20/21 away top

4th prize signed ball

5th prize signed centenary print

6th prize season 19/20 home top

7th prize season 19/20 away top

As we all realise all clubs will be finding things tough financially during this current situation with limited income.So it would be amazing if we could try and beat last week's £1650 we made for the club.Any questions please email pengie1919@googlemail.com

It's the same bank details as last time and for anyone who missed out last time please message Ross Corbett or Greig Corbett for payment details.Please leave your name and number of entries on this post

Thanks in advance

Good stuff!

Maybe worth editing your post just to tell folk to send their details to you by PM?* There are a couple of genuine psycho's on PnB so folk probably don't want to leave their name on a thread.

*If they haven't already.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Good stuff!

Maybe worth editing your post just to tell folk to send their details to you by PM?* There are a couple of genuine psycho's on PnB so folk probably don't want to leave their name on a thread.

*If they haven't already.

Its not him. Its a copy and paste job. Ross has an ID on here but he isnt qos1990.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

He is contracted to June 2021.

Good, the very least he deserves is a proper send off at the appropriate time.

There must be key players throughout various leagues who are retiring and whose fans will not get the chance to show their appreciation.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Good, the very least he deserves is a proper send off at the appropriate time.

There must be key players throughout various leagues who are retiring and whose fans will not get the chance to show their appreciation.

A few " retired  "  at the start of this season .

Watching the cup semi final 12 years on & commentators early doors stating Dobbie wants the ball to his feet and really needs a big strong striker to play alongside him..

AJ nothings changed since then please play to Dobbie's strengths.... 

Watching tonight minds me how good a team we had and how much effort the players put in that day. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH