The Queen of the South thread

There is no way the Scottish FA will play this season to an end. The complications with players contracts alone will not let this happen. Players will have other clubs lined up, contracts finishing end of May or Pre Contacts already signed.
That fact and the knock on effect for next season ( they will want as normal a season as possible next season ) means this season will be ended now.

Instead of just voting on ending the season there should be a vote on a restructuring solution at the same time showing that no team needs to be relegated and clubs can be promoted.
2 promoted from The Championship, 4 from L1, 6 from L2.
No relegation.
14 team Premiership, 12 team Championship, 12 team L1, 12 team L2 with 6 Lowland/ Highland League clubs invited.
Play Each team 3 or 4 times. 33 or 44 game season. More revenue.
Premiership play 3 times each. 39 Game season.

Just My Thoughts [emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji106]

Needs to be a 16 team Prem imo for it to work. 14 teams would mean post-split (assuming there is still one) that on the final day of the season 1 team wouldn’t be playing. Could get a scenario where two teams are happy to play out a draw to relegate the team not playing etc etc. All hypotheticals of course but can’t see the SPFL/SFA going for it. 16 team seems most likely imo.

43 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Needs to be a 16 team Prem imo for it to work. 14 teams would mean post-split (assuming there is still one) that on the final day of the season 1 team wouldn’t be playing. Could get a scenario where two teams are happy to play out a draw to relegate the team not playing etc etc. All hypotheticals of course but can’t see the SPFL/SFA going for it. 16 team seems most likely imo.

There doesn’t need to be a split. All teams play each other 3 times. 39 games.

We then adopt the English playoff system.

2 down from premiership, 1 automatic from Championship and a playoff between 2nd to 5th for other place. Final at Hampden.

That format can be done from L1 to Championship and L2 to L1.

Since the split will come when there have been a fair few games played, the teams in 7th (top half) and 8th (bottom half) could be the ones idle in the last matchday which should mean the likelihood of anything dodgy coming up on the last day of the season being minimised.
There doesn’t need to be a split. All teams play each other 3 times. 39 games.
We then adopt the English playoff system.
2 down from premiership, 1 automatic from Championship and a playoff between 2nd to 5th for other place. Final at Hampden.
That format can be done from L1 to Championship and L2 to L1.
There has to be a split to get 4 Celtic v Sevco games, both for TV and to make sure one doesn't moan when the other wins the League having played the other at home twice rather than once. And I'm not sure playing 2 home and 1 away for other fixtures at the bottom of the league and European slots etc. would go down well either.

Just now, Salvo Montalbano said:

Since the split will come when there have been a fair few games played, the teams in 7th (top half) and 8th (bottom half) could be the ones idle in the last matchday which should mean the likelihood of anything dodgy coming up on the last day of the season being minimised.

There has to be a split to get 4 Celtic v Sevco games, both for TV and to make sure one doesn't moan when the other wins the League having played the other at home twice rather than once. And I'm not sure playing 2 home and 1 away for other fixtures at the bottom of the league and European slots etc. would go down well either.

Agree with all this, though I think its more likely the split will be 6/8 rather than 7/7 anyway which does away with the issue altogether.

Agree. And I’m not sure I would be in a desperate rush to re-sign any players who took part in the 10 games this year that produced no wins and 3 points.  And if we escape relegation due to the season being curtailed, that doesn’t mean Johnston should keep his job. So he shouldn’t be signing anybody for next season either now or at any future point.
Agreed. Though I reckon Coronavirus has all but secured Johnston's job for next season. I doubt we'll be in any sort of position to pay out the remainder of his contract.

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
On 09/04/2020 at 11:57, Flash said:
Agree. And I’m not sure I would be in a desperate rush to re-sign any players who took part in the 10 games this year that produced no wins and 3 points.  And if we escape relegation due to the season being curtailed, that doesn’t mean Johnston should keep his job. So he shouldn’t be signing anybody for next season either now or at any future point.

Agreed. Though I reckon Coronavirus has all but secured Johnston's job for next season. I doubt we'll be in any sort of position to pay out the remainder of his contract.

AJ will be in charge at start of next season, He will have to fight to keep his job ftom the start as a certain Mr Dobbie will be about ready to step up as manager... 

2 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

AJ will be in charge at start of next season, He will have to fight to keep his job ftom the start as a certain Mr Dobbie will be about ready to step up as manager... 

Will Dobbie want to manage QotS? Thought he had it pretty cushty still getting to stay in Blackpool and travelling through - It'd be quite a bit harder to do if he became manager I'd have thought?

13 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Will Dobbie want to manage QotS? Thought he had it pretty cushty still getting to stay in Blackpool and travelling through - It'd be quite a bit harder to do if he became manager I'd have thought?

Don't think it would be any harder, He spends alot of his time in Glasgow at the moment. 

7 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Don't think it would be any harder, He spends alot of his time in Glasgow at the moment. 

He spends Tuesday and Thursday nights (and Fridays ahead of away games). I don't think it's remotely possible to manage in the Scottish League without being based in Scotland. Gavin Skelton lives a lot closer than Dobbie and found it an unmanageable problem. If Dobbie wants to manage in Scotland for us or anyone else he'd need to move to Scotland I think. A manager has a lot more hours to put in than a player.

On 08/04/2020 at 22:56, SUPERSOUTH said:

Semple should be a priority signing for Johnston, He is a very good young CB there are not many of the likes going around. He really enjoys playing at Queens and plays with his heart on his sleave, shame maybe the manager doesn't quite grasp that would be a big loss to the club, He is a player the club could make money from in the future. 

Connor Murray to Livi very surprised to hear that he's a Championship level player at best, He hasn't improved enough in last few seasons to say otherwise... 

Allan Forrest signed for Livi today pre contract canny see them taking Murray as well... 

Allan Forrest signed for Livi today pre contract canny see them taking Murray as well... 

Tbf he signed for them way back in January so nothing has changed. Livi just agreed to hold off on announcing until the season was complete.

The prospect of Dobbie ever becoming manager gives me the fear.  Even more so if he was to take over this rag tag bunch at such an uncertain time.

Some players immediately stand out as being manager material and I'm afraid Dobbie doesn't fall into that category for me in the slightest.  I don't even rate him particularly highly as a captain.  This current group were crying out for leadership and it was nowhere to be seen.

I don't doubt he is an influential character in the dressing room, as most senior players are.  He has a wealth of experience, both good and bad, to pass onto the younger players and I'm sure his stature commands a lot of respect.  There is more to management than that however, and his achievements as a player would soon lose their significance after a poor run as manger.

I remember similar calls for fellow legend Jim Thomson to become manager and the less said about that the better.

I'm not ruling Dobbie out completely as a future manager, but I'd much rather he cut his teeth elsewhere and was given the job on merit, than just walked into it because he was the nearest person.

25 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

The prospect of Dobbie ever becoming manager gives me the fear.  Even more so if he was to take over this rag tag bunch at such an uncertain time.

Some players immediately stand out as being manager material and I'm afraid Dobbie doesn't fall into that category for me in the slightest.  I don't even rate him particularly highly as a captain.  This current group were crying out for leadership and it was nowhere to be seen.

I don't doubt he is an influential character in the dressing room, as most senior players are.  He has a wealth of experience, both good and bad, to pass onto the younger players and I'm sure his stature commands a lot of respect.  There is more to management than that however, and his achievements as a player would soon lose their significance after a poor run as manger.

I remember similar calls for fellow legend Jim Thomson to become manager and the less said about that the better.

I'm not ruling Dobbie out completely as a future manager, but I'd much rather he cut his teeth elsewhere and was given the job on merit, than just walked into it because he was the nearest person.

Having spoken to three or four current & past players players they all reckon Dobbie would  be a good manager. Think leave it at that if it happens it happens if not we will never know...