The Queen of the South thread

5 hours ago, Benji said:

Other than for financial reasons, I can't understand why he's not been sacked.

This is one of the worst season's I can remember and we've sacked managers for less.

The next appointment needs to be made carefully, we need continuity, someone who will build a squad not just for one season but for the next few.

You can't believe he's still here but then you say next 1 has to be right He won't be sacked till a replacement is lined up as you say it needs to be made carefully. Do you think GN was chased before AJ was lined up

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Are there any fans on here who genuinely see us surviving? That's a sincere question btw, not one to use as a means to have a go.

I've thought for months we were goosed but the Morton game confirmed it for me. It also confirmed that AJ isn't going anywhere either so I'm past the point of being angry that he's still here. I fully expect him to be in charge for League 1 though honestly hope I'm wrong.

Said so 6 months ago .Anyone who thought this squad of players was good enough was deluded .The transfer window made us even worse .But heyho stay positive .

31 minutes ago, weeredbook said:

Said so 6 months ago .Anyone who thought this squad of players was good enough was deluded .The transfer window made us even worse .But heyho stay positive .

It’s the same story as last season. Naysmiths January signings were terrible (apart from Wilson) and we were so very nearly relegated and it cost him his job. We’ve been a bit unlucky this season with losing 3 key players but the replacements are rubbish. I’ve seen Queens managers sacked for less...

It’s the same story as last season. Naysmiths January signings were terrible (apart from Wilson) and we were so very nearly relegated and it cost him his job. We’ve been a bit unlucky this season with losing 3 key players but the replacements are rubbish. I’ve seen Queens managers sacked for less...

There’s nothing unlucky about losing Brownlie and El Bak. We chose to let them go. I have some sympathy with the decision given the opportunity it offered El Bak but allowing Brownlie to go to a direct rival is bizarre. We were unlucky to lose McCrorie. Signing a sub standard replacement wasn’t the best move albeit out options maybe weren’t great.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

It is not the same story as last season. The story this season is much more depressing and is going to have a far worse ending.

The lead character needs dispatched to breath some life into the plot.

At this point, it is very much heading the same way as last season. 

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

There’s nothing unlucky about losing Brownlie and El Bak. We chose to let them go. I have some sympathy with the decision given the opportunity it offered El Bak but allowing Brownlie to go to a direct rival is bizarre. We were unlucky to lose McCrorie. Signing a sub standard replacement wasn’t the best move albeit out options maybe weren’t great.

Keep them and have 2 unhappy players on the books. Makes sense. 

Keep them and have 2 unhappy players on the books. Makes sense. 

Players want to play. If we’d kept them they would have been unhappy briefly but would ultimately want to play. As I said I understand the El Bak decision albeit it’s still an active decision to let him go. I’d have a player sitting in the stand rather than strengthen an opponent. I suspect we are viewed as a soft touch when players want to leave.

Even if you think it’s correct to have let the players leave that doesn’t make it unlucky. Unlucky would suggest there was nothing we could do to prevent it such as happened with McCrorie.

33 minutes ago, JTulip said:

Who was the last manager to be actually sacked? 

Surely the vast majority of managers are sacked these days. 

Why walk away from a contract without a penny when you can negotiate a settlement to bugger off?

At the end of the day it is still the sack by ‘mutual agreement’.  

I would imagine the Ayr game will be the final straw if we don’t win. On that basis I would hope the board have drawn up a shortlist already. Who will be on it though?  

Guest Flash
3 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

At the end of 2019 at the halfway stage we had 25 points and were 3 points behind 4th with a game in hand. Despite the team being pretty grim, I think the biggest single reason for the collapse is the goalkeeper. I don't think it is a coincidence that we are now losing far more goals and an awful lot more from crosses. Partly down to losing Brownlie as well. And I’m not blaming Stewart for every goal lost. But I think if McCrorie was still here, we would have a slim chance of staying up. As it is, I think we have no chance.

13 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Players want to play. If we’d kept them they would have been unhappy briefly but would ultimately want to play. As I said I understand the El Bak decision albeit it’s still an active decision to let him go. I’d have a player sitting in the stand rather than strengthen an opponent. I suspect we are viewed as a soft touch when players want to leave.

Even if you think it’s correct to have let the players leave that doesn’t make it unlucky. Unlucky would suggest there was nothing we could do to prevent it such as happened with McCrorie.

Unfortunate then 🤷🏻‍♂️😉

Surely the vast majority of managers are sacked these days. 

Why walk away from a contract without a penny when you can negotiate a settlement to bugger off?

At the end of the day it is still the sack by ‘mutual agreement’.  

I would imagine the Ayr game will be the final straw if we don’t win. On that basis I would hope the board have drawn up a shortlist already. Who will be on it though?  

Short list who's out of a job

Jimmy la Mac

Elvis

Yogi

Sally ally

Who knows what the Board are thinking please keep him till end of season

Sent from my Samsung S10 Gold

On 11/03/2020 at 06:36, 19QOS19 said:

Are there any fans on here who genuinely see us surviving? That's a sincere question btw, not one to use as a means to have a go.

I've thought for months we were goosed but the Morton game confirmed it for me. It also confirmed that AJ isn't going anywhere either so I'm past the point of being angry that he's still here. I fully expect him to be in charge for League 1 though honestly hope I'm wrong.

Not posted on here for a good while, but I will try to answer your question.   In short I don't see us surviving right now.  I was one of the 40 or so who made the trip to Inverness on Tuesday night. It is a long time since I have seen such a disinterested and disorganised gang on a football pitch.  I'm not normally one to call for a managers head, but at this time I can't see any improvement under his stewardship, or any sign that we are working to eradicate the basic mistakes he always refers to.

More worryingly is the intransigence displayed throughout his interviews.  Always the players fault, he never accepts responsibility for wrong selections or tactics.  The disinterested approach we are witnessing on the pitch stems from off it.  I don't expect the manager to jump up and down like a mad thing, but surely it is reasonable to expect him to take his hands out of his pockets and look like he is interested now and again?  After Tuesday night I am resigning myself to League One for next season.  A league where we will not get it all our own way this time around.

Like you I expect him to still be in charge for the League One campaign, as I don't fancy this board to take the sensible course of action and relieve him from his duties.