The Queen of the South thread

58 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I think I defended him when others used to criticise him, and now everyone else seems to be raving about him I'm just not seeing the hype.  Maybe I'm just a contrary hipster!   To me he has gone from an adequate Championship centre half, to a reasonably good Championship centre half.  He's 25 so I don't see him improving too much beyond that.

For me, he has gone from a thoroughly inadequate Championship centre half to a decent one.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

What are the benefits of full time football Alloa have played 3 games in a week yet were still full of running at the end of the game today so they are just as fit as Queens .

They were better organised than Queens so what is the benefit.

Money wise a Alloa player who works full time will be on more money than a Queens player so surely we should go back to part time football or a mix of full and part time football 

41 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

What are the benefits of full time football Alloa have played 3 games in a week yet were still full of running at the end of the game today so they are just as fit as Queens .

They were better organised than Queens so what is the benefit.

Money wise a Alloa player who works full time will be on more money than a Queens player so surely we should go back to part time football or a mix of full and part time football 

The benefit isn't so much that you make players better by training them full-time; it's more that you attract better players by enabling them to play full-time. 

At our level though, where our players are, in the main, demonstrably barely any better than the part-time ones in the division, that logic breaks down.

It revives that debate: would you rather be the smallest full-time club, or the biggest part-time one?  We're probably on the cusp of that.

I'd prefer we were full-time, but not as some futile status symbol.  If part-time becomes necessary, then so be it -  it's not the end of the world.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not really turned on him and he has been excellent this season but today certainly raises questions about where his head is. Every player makes mistakes and he was due one so I haven't been too hard on his gift for the goal. I was more annoyed with his lack of effort. There was a moment in the first half where he was easily brushed off the ball by Thomson (I think) when it was Brownlie's ball to lose. 3 months ago he'd have taken the ball and left the player on their arse. He's even given away daft fouls in the past such was his determination to get the ball.  

His head absolutely wasn't there today and everyone could see it. If we lose him in January we are significantly weaker but after today I think we'd be just as weak with him here. It's sad really as I didn't think Brownlie would be the type of person to 'down tools' like that.

Some of the comments on this and other social media platforms have been embarrassing to say the least. 

The guy was beside himself after the game, he was totally gutted with his performance. So it's not as if he's went out there to purposely play shite. 

Some of the comments on this and other social media platforms have been embarrassing to say the least. 
The guy was beside himself after the game, he was totally gutted with his performance. So it's not as if he's went out there to purposely play shite. 

That's going to be part and parcel of players signing pre-contracts: if they have an awful game fans are going to question where their head is.

Tbh, when you see the abuse certain opposition fans give their players I'd say QoS fans are pretty tame. When we gubbed Dundee Utd at Palmerston, McMullan took some abuse from his own fans that I wouldn't even shout at opposition players.

After a performance like today I'd say Brownlie has to suck it up.

9 minutes ago, eibbod nehpets said:

Come on now Darren, you were poor today. I expect better next Saturday (if you’re still here).

55 minutes ago, eibbod nehpets said:

It was Brownlie's worst performance in a Queens shirt in a long time, I am sure he didn't go out to play as bad and he would have been gutted shame it effected Queens and as much his next club Partick as they now sit bottom. 

Taken from other social media site if true its a shame he leaves after such a poor game by his standards. 

_20200125_232659.JPG.cef29edf35ec6106c57a6ab5dea8b60d.JPG

Personally, I would get rid of any player that signs a pre contract, on the grounds that his heart wouldn't be in for the battle for the rest of the season. Even subconsciously any player would want to avoid  injury thus giving less than 100% I think.  Can you imagine if Brownlie has to play in a relegation battle against Partick what state of mind he'd be in? Better for Queens to let him go now to Partick if that's where he's set on, I wish him well there.

27 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Personally, I would get rid of any player that signs a pre contract, on the grounds that his heart wouldn't be in for the battle for the rest of the season. Even subconsciously any player would want to avoid  injury thus giving less than 100% I think.  Can you imagine if Brownlie has to play in a relegation battle against Partick what state of mind he'd be in? Better for Queens to let him go now to Partick if that's where he's set on, I wish him well there.

That’s not the case with every player that signs a pre contract, behave. 

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
9 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:
Did the fans give any players or AJ any abuse at the end? 

No idea but I doubt it. QoS fans tend to 'boo' if they are displeased but we aren't normally ones for staying back and giving abuse.

Most don’t even “boo”. They just quietly slip away and many don’t bother coming back. There hasn’t been any significant “booing” in recent seasons, yet the whole crowd yesterday could have fitted into the old stand.

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Most don’t even “boo”. They just quietly slip away and many don’t bother coming back. There hasn’t been any significant “booing” in recent seasons, yet the whole crowd yesterday could have fitted into the old stand.

That's the worry.

We deliver so many lousy performances at home these days.  It doesn't require a massive leap to see a connection between that and our steadily diminishing gates.

1 hour ago, Broony88 said:

Sunday mail linking us with Christophe Berra. Seems unrealistic given his Hearts wage and we are apparently battling with Dundee for him. 

Arbroath got Wighton ahead of Dundee, so...

Unless Kilday is out for the season (too much to expect us to be informed why he didn't feature yesterday of course) I'll be absolutely fucking livid if we waste another valuable wage on a CB. Even if Brownlie goes we'd have Kilday, Devine and Semple. We've only had 3 CB all season so I don't see why we'd need 4 at this stage, especially given it's attacking options we need. Berra ffs.

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Unless Kilday is out for the season (too much to expect us to be informed why he didn't feature yesterday of course) I'll be absolutely fucking livid if we waste another valuable wage on a CB. Even if Brownlie goes we'd have Kilday, Devine and Semple. We've only had 3 CB all season so I don't see why we'd need 4 at this stage, especially given it's attacking options we need. Berra ffs.

Unless AJ wants to go 3-5-2, in which case have 4 CBs seems sensible to me.

Unless AJ wants to go 3-5-2, in which case have 4 CBs seems sensible to me.
That's fair enough but if he wanted to go 352 surely yesterday was the ideal game to try it out? I know someone said Semple limped in but if he was injured he surely wouldn't have been out at HT.