The Queen of the South thread

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Uh huh, obviously we're short of numbers. We had three less 1st team players this morning than we had on Jan 1st. That's not remotely the same thing as saying we can't field a team without making multiple signings.

Another 2 attack minded players, a midfielder & a winger now please one in prob on loan & a new signing. 

Needed a GK so well done to AJ for getting someone in quickly. I'll wait until I see the boy before I judge him. Any GK after McCrorie was/is likely to be a downgrade so it's harsh to rule the boy out already.

As for the defender I can't say I'm as open-minded. CB is a position we absolutely don't need cover unless Semple or Brownlie are shipping out or AJ plans on playing with a back 5/wing backs.

Good to get bodies in but if I'm honest, I feel exactly the same now as I did yesterday. We seriously need an attacking option in midfield or we're going to struggle for the rest of the season.

Hopefully these two boys prove to be excellent signings but we're still short of where we were when the window opened...and then we didn't have many options. And is Oan Djorkaeff still in the frame, although he would only bring us up to where we were numerically on the 1 January.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

This boy could be the next Virgil Van Dijk but it won’t change the fact that CB is probably the last position that needed strengthening.

You have to hope/assume this means there are more to follow.

Good to be positive thinking there are more signing to come .

Queens really have had a disaster of a window losing 3 players 2  very important players and replacing them  with the Livi reserve keeper and a 18 year old centre half meaning we now have 5 centre halfs what is AJ thinking why waste another loan  on a defender just because we are short in numbers 

19 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

According to Soccerbase, Jack Leighfield has conceded 50 goals in 31 appearances, an average of 1.6 per game.

By comparison, Robbie McCrorie has conceded 33 goals in 24 appearances, an average of 1.4 per game.

It's not exactly accurate since both players have appeared in cup matches, but as an illustration, across a 36 game season Leighfield would concede seven more goals than McCrorie (57 v 50).

Of course, as Mourinho said, statistics are used by those who don't understand football... we can all see the differences between Leighfield (as he was last season - he may have improved) and McCrorie. But the stats themselves aren't dreadful.

Using the same stats for league games only, Leighfield has conceded 41 in 24, an average of 1.7 compared with McCrorie’s 21 in 19 an average of 1.1.

Over a season, Leighfield would concede 61 league goals, whereas MCrorie’s total would be 40, a difference of 21 goals. To put that in context, in 17/18, Dumbarton conceded 63 when being relegated and Livi conceded 37 when being promoted.

McCrorie has had 5 clean sheets in 19 league games, which is 26%. Leighfield has had 3 clean sheets in 41 league games, which is 7%.

19 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Did someone not once post that Leighfield concedes an average of 2 goals a game?

He might have to do for Saturday but I’d be very concerned if he was our long term solution. That said the Livi boy hardly sounds like an upgrade.

You’re maybe remembering the run of 7 games in 17/18 when Leighfield conceded a total of 18 goals - an average of 2.6 per game.

Honestly never read so much shite about stats in my life. 

I know stats play a big part of the modern game, but I’ve got to agree with eibbod here!
I fancy AJ will give Jack the nod for Saturday and here’s hoping he puts on a show. There’s no doubt the lad has ability so let’s get behind him if he’s given the no1 jersey against Alloa.

4 minutes ago, queenslad said:

We needed a keeper for Saturday - who is to say the new keeper won't be on the bench with Leighfield starting.

Or dId we have a No 2 at the club this morning?

Craig Burns sat on the bench behind McCrorie when Leighfield was injured for the 1st three months of the season. He is still here. I am sure he could have managed it again.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

6 minutes ago, queenslad said:

We needed a keeper for Saturday - who is to say the new keeper won't be on the bench with Leighfield starting.

Or dId we have a No 2 at the club this morning?

Craig Burns is still with Queen's. 

Totally agree with everyone about not needing a CB (unless Brownlie is leaving early) but for what it's worth David Devine was Motherwell reserves' captain. Looks big, strong and good on the ball, in the reserves league at least.

Also, not sure if it tells us anything, but Oan Djorkaeff played for St Mirren reserves on Monday. 

22 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Goals conceded is a pretty good metric for assessing goalkeepers and that's a fact (or is it a stat?).

Goals conceded is the oldest and most accessible metric.

In fact sometimes it's the only metric used for judging a goalkeeper. Obviously we all want one that doesn't concede but we all know the amount of variables a keeper has to contend with in almost every shot stopping action of play. How far out was the shot? The angle? Was their view restricted? Deflection? Opposed or unopposed? Same with a midfielder and his interception stat, even if it was a poor pass from the opponent it would still count as 1. 

So when flash used xG (expected goals) to tell us how many goals the 2 keepers would have conceded by the end of the season, do you think he also checked the angle of the keeper every time and who was taking every the shot? 

Stats are a load of bull, not everything is taken into account with every single stat.