The Queen of the South thread

From the Motherwell site

David made the jump from the Under 18s to professional football with the reserves in early 2019, and has enjoyed a rapid development since.

A tall, commanding centre back, the youth academy product is a key member of Maurice Ross’ defence and his rise was such that he made his first team debut at the end of the 2018/19 campaign.

With plenty of development time ahead of him, David will continue to push from the fringes of the first team squad to make the breakthrough – and has every chance of doing so.

7 hours ago, JessieField said:

Last season at the end of January we were still in the Scottish Cup, sitting 4th in the League with 30 points, but after January went on a run of 7 straight League defeats and ended up in the bottom end playoffs. With McCrorie and El Bak gone, Brownlie leaving, (I bet he doesn't play against Partick again this season) I would say we're in a worse position than last season. Two away games in hand are NOT points you can guarantee to collect.

Yes, late last January, everything looked rosy.  

We'd played well to draw at Dundee in the Cup, before hammering them at home.  We also thrashed Ross County at home, and won at Inverness.  Meanwhile, the team looked to have improved in the window, particularly with the arrival of Nicky Lowe. 

Who can forget the calls on here to pin our manager down with a whopping contract extension, lest he be lured by a big club?

There's no doubt that we are worse off right now than we were at that point.  Surely though, the assumption that we won't now go on a nosedive like we did last year, is a reasonable one?

I can see the season fizzling away from here.  I'd hope that we'll stay out of trouble though.  When you think how bad we were and for how long last season, it's pretty amazing that we still managed to narrowly avoid finishing bottom.  

If we set the bar of our ambition very low and just hope it's not quite that bad again, then we should surely be ok.

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, late last January, everything looked rosy.  

We'd played well to draw at Dundee in the Cup, before hammering them at home.  We also thrashed Ross County at home, and won at Inverness.  Meanwhile, the team looked to have improved in the window, particularly with the arrival of Nicky Lowe. 

Who can forget the calls on here to pin our manager down with a whopping contract extension, lest he be lured by a big club?

There's no doubt that we are worse off right now than we were at that point.  Surely though, the assumption that we won't now go on a nosedive like we did last year, is a reasonable one?

I can see the season fizzling away from here.  I'd hope that we'll stay out of trouble though.  When you think how bad we were and for how long last season, it's pretty amazing that we still managed to narrowly avoid finishing bottom.  

If we set the bar of our ambition very low and just hope it's not quite that bad again, then we should surely be ok.

With the players we have lost so far in this window we are going to struggle to stay up  

Signing Livi reserve keeper and a 18 year old  center half are the type of signing that will make us worse not better 

Brownlie to Thistle will mean they've paid us to release him from the contract. A fit Callum Stemple as an adequate replacement. Add the Brownlie fee to the El Bakhtaoui fee and we might have a decent bit of money to invest near the end of the window. I am hoping AJ is channeling his inner Delboy here.

With the players we have lost so far in this window we are going to struggle to stay up  
Signing Livi reserve keeper and a 18 year old  center half are the type of signing that will make us worse not better 

There’s quite clearly others to come in as well. Judge it then

Memories of his last game against Clyde don’t fill me with any confidence 

To be fair he wasn’t the only one that had an off day, although he was extremely poor.

Would still give him a chance against Alloa, played a lot under GN so has a bit of experience. On his day (Tannadice last season) he’s as good as McCrorie, but severely lacks consistency

59 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Memories of his last game against Clyde don’t fill me with any confidence 

I'm sure he was just back from injury picked up in pre-season so I'll give him the benefit that he wasn't exactly tuned up by that game.  He made a couple of blunders that day but he's experienced enough by now to be considered for a start.  If he isn't in contention for a start you have to ask,  and he has to wonder,   if there's  any point in him being here. 

2 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Brownlie to Thistle will mean they've paid us to release him from the contract. A fit Callum Stemple as an adequate replacement. Add the Brownlie fee to the El Bakhtaoui fee and we might have a decent bit of money to invest near the end of the window. I am hoping AJ is channeling his inner Delboy here.

Don't hold your breath.  We don't disclose figures for a reason.. 

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

There’s quite clearly others to come in as well. Judge it then

Do you really think that after we get the Livi reserve keeper and the boy from Motherwell that we will suddenly get good experienced players in they cost money something Queens don't have .

Any fee from El Bak and Brownlie when he leaves will be banked just to help Queens try and stay full time 

Do you really think that after we get the Livi reserve keeper and the boy from Motherwell that we will suddenly get good experienced players in they cost money something Queens don't have .
Any fee from El Bak and Brownlie when he leaves will be banked just to help Queens try and stay full time 

Just trying to be less depressing about it than yourself. A reserve goalkeeper, from the division above of a top 6 side, like our previous keeper? I get Livingston fans don’t rate him highly, but the few folk I know with connections at st mirren rated him. Let’s give the guy a chance. Devine could just be signing for cover, brownlie could stay then our defensive options are strengthened.

Our midfield is weaker, there’s no getting by it. A winger before Saturday is a must for me.

Also don’t get the clammer for leighfield getting a chance. Has never filled me with confidence.