The Queen of the South thread

17 hours ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Simply comparing to last season. We’ve upgraded in almost every position. The only position I’d say we aren’t as strong in is going forward - we would always struggle replacing Dykes.

Last season we finished 9th. Currently we’re in a good position for 5th/6th. An upgrade on last season.

Last season at the end of January we were still in the Scottish Cup, sitting 4th in the League with 30 points, but after January went on a run of 7 straight League defeats and ended up in the bottom end playoffs. With McCrorie and El Bak gone, Brownlie leaving, (I bet he doesn't play against Partick again this season) I would say we're in a worse position than last season. Two away games in hand are NOT points you can guarantee to collect.

2 hours ago, JessieField said:

Last season at the end of January we were still in the Scottish Cup, sitting 4th in the League with 30 points, but after January went on a run of 7 straight League defeats and ended up in the bottom end playoffs. With McCrorie and El Bak gone, Brownlie leaving, (I bet he doesn't play against Partick again this season) I would say we're in a worse position than last season. Two away games in hand are NOT points you can guarantee to collect.

Quite agree,  any comparisons should be made against the same time last season,  not where we finished. Even IF we win on Saturday we're still two points down from the end of last January. Of course the problem after last January was that the Manager basically chucked it,  his "play not to get beat"  tactics were not only hellish to watch but,  as results show,  failed miserably. I got the impression that with us sitting on 30points,  and a quarter of the season still to go,  he thought he could shitfest his way to enough points to stay safe.   I'm confident that Johnston won't fall into that trap IF,  and it's a big IF,  he and the board can get some decent replacements in.  It will also be similar to last season in that we hope that the teams round about us don't improve dramatically. 

Trying not to be negative, however, the 2 proposed loan signings do not inspire confidence.

If we're bringing in a young CB from Motherwell, does that suggest that Brownlie is indeed away? That would mean Semple taking Brownlie's place with the loan signing as back up.

We still need at least one decent winger.

On the plus side, we're 6th. The only team around us to have had a decent window so far are Thistle.

We're still capable of staying up.

Edited by Benji

50 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I think the rule is 5 in a season, no more than 4 at a time, so we've got 1 still available.

There's no 5 in a season rule. That's long gone. Rules are very simple. 4 domestic loans at any one time (any age). IF we assume the rumours are true of Stewart and Devine then they'll join Hamilton and give us 3 loans.

I know you can only p**s with the cock you have but I was expecting a winger to come in as priority. Scrambling to get a new keeper and now talk of a centre half coming in is far from ideal. 
Indeed. If those rumours are true then I'll bite your hand off for 8th right now. As it stands I expect we'll see Dobbie wasted out on the left against Alloa with Hamilton up front. If we fail to bring in a half-decent attacking player then we'll be shitbagging it over the finish line IMO.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
25 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:
I know you can only p**s with the cock you have but I was expecting a winger to come in as priority. Scrambling to get a new keeper and now talk of a centre half coming in is far from ideal. 

Indeed. If those rumours are true then I'll bite your hand off for 8th right now. As it stands I expect we'll see Dobbie wasted out on the left against Alloa with Hamilton up front. If we fail to bring in a half-decent attacking player then we'll be shitbagging it over the finish line IMO.

Oliver & Murray wide Dobbie & Hamilton up front. 

Oliver & Murray wide Dobbie & Hamilton up front. 
I can't see him going with a front 2 all of a sudden (as much as I'd like to see it). The only one I can see dropping out from the Utd game is Paton in place of Pybus.

Why are most contributors on this thread so negative. I get disappointment about McCrorie as he was a good keeper but Iam sure both manager and board conducted themselves in proper manner with rangers were I am hopeful we can get more players in on loan ( believe this window as well) . As Gerrard said he was please with how McCrorie developed at queens so hope there is a positive relationship with both clubs like we have had with st johnstone over the years

The relationship and proven record is possibly why McCrorie is coming to us. We've shown rangers what we could do with Liam Kelly, Ryan Hardie and Josh Thompson

I wonder if we will get goalkeeper Ross Stewart from Livi on loan on Thursday morning.. 

I reckon that's more than likely

The only good thing if brownlie does go, means there’ll probably be money available from the move and his wage as I can’t imagine the boy from Motherwell will take a lot to cover

How has Jack been doing for you guys?

5 minutes ago, JessieField said:

I don't want a loan of Livingston's third choice goalie, thanks

Seems like it'll be happening just like all the loans we get and have they ain't going to be first choice players.... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

How has Jack been doing for you guys?

Meh to begin with. Then found a bit of form and looked to be starting to link with Dobbie, then got injured and has hardly featured since. Nowhere near Dykes level yet so I can't imagine he'll feature for your first team any time soon.
I don't want a loan of Livingston's third choice goalie, thanks

Me either. Beggars can't be choosers springs to mind though sadly.