The Queen of the South thread

You benefitted from a very similar situation when you got Joe Thomson on loan from Celtic. He had been the main man in our midfield before he was unexpectedly recalled and sent on loan to another team in the same division.

A kick in the balls no doubt but swings and roundabouts.
That was different though. In that instance it worked out well for us and was therefore a good piece of business from Celtic. In this case it has screwed us so it's therefore poor from Rangers...

We have absolutely no cause to feel aggrieved here, which probably makes it all the more frustrating. We’ve been dealt a massive blow but were powerless to do anything about it. The pros and cons of loan signings in a nutshell ultimately.

After a fairly shocking summer transfer window it was hard to fathom January being worse, but it’s looking pretty grim just now.

3 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

We have absolutely no cause to feel aggrieved here, which probably makes it all the more frustrating. We’ve been dealt a massive blow but were powerless to do anything about it. The pros and cons of loan signings in a nutshell ultimately.

After a fairly shocking summer transfer window it was hard to fathom January being worse, but it’s looking pretty grim just now.

Er, what? In what way was it a "fairly shocking" summer transfer window? We're not a better side right now than we were in May? Ok, I accept the last week hasn't helped the situation with losing McCrorie and Faiss but before that?

You're right though about the pros and cons of loans. There's always that risk. I recall also being concerned during Zander Clark's two seasons here in case St Johnstone suddenly felt the need to recall him. The frustrating thing here is that they've not done so for their own use, they've done to to send him elsewhere. But it is what it is and as our Dumbarton friend pointed out we've been on the other side of that sort of thing before. It's really no different from the Joe Thomson situation. We'll need to get players in obviously as we're two or three down now (not that McCarthy was ever a significant part of the 1st team anyway).

A fairly shocking summer window in which we signed the best ‘keeper we’ve had in years, re-signed one of the best LB’s in the league, upgraded on Jacobs, who’d been a mainstay in the team for 3/4 years, with Pybus, signed the most exciting winger on the ball probably since Carmichael’s first spell and upgraded on Fordyce/Maguire in Kilday. Semple, in the long-term, I fully believe will be a terrific signing too.

Then we’ve got Lyon who’s improving game on game, Hamilton who is a decent striker, and Osman who 90% of fans were delighted when it came out he’s staying until May.

The only players I’ve been disappointed with are Kidd, Oliver (who even then still has grabbed some important goals) and McCarthy who is now away.

AJ had a massive rebuilding job and he’s done a fairly good job. A fairly shocking summer window is a massive overreaction.

Our midfield is rank despite the signing of several players to play there and Hamilton and Oliver have barely contributed anything.

Kilday, Holt, El Bakhtaoui and McCrorie have all been good signings but even if you ignore the fact two of them have now gone it was a window of more “misses” than “hits”.

All opinions of course but I don’t think fairly shocking is an unfair description of AJs business thus far.

6 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Our midfield is rank despite the signing of several players to play there and Hamilton and Oliver have barely contributed anything.

Kilday, Holt, El Bakhtaoui and McCrorie have all been good signings but even if you ignore the fact two of them have now gone it was a window of more “misses” than “hits”.

All opinions of course but I don’t think fairly shocking is an unfair description of AJs business thus far.

I do. As is "more misses than hits".

And using the departure of two players you admitted were good signings in the January window to condemn the summer window defies all sense!

You are also over -harsh on our midfield but you're not alone in that.

Hopefully our game with Rangers last Saturday may lead to some other loan signings from Rangers. Surely the departure of Robby was touched upon by

officials of both clubs. Like every other Queens fan I'm sorry to see Robby leave early but better six months of a good player than a whole season of a nugget. I'm sure he'll feature for Rangers in the future. A really nice sensible boy who did well for us.

1 hour ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

A fairly shocking summer window in which we signed the best ‘keeper we’ve had in years, re-signed one of the best LB’s in the league, upgraded on Jacobs, who’d been a mainstay in the team for 3/4 years, with Pybus, signed the most exciting winger on the ball probably since Carmichael’s first spell and upgraded on Fordyce/Maguire in Kilday. Semple, in the long-term, I fully believe will be a terrific signing too.

Then we’ve got Lyon who’s improving game on game, Hamilton who is a decent striker, and Osman who 90% of fans were delighted when it came out he’s staying until May.

The only players I’ve been disappointed with are Kidd, Oliver (who even then still has grabbed some important goals) and McCarthy who is now away.

AJ had a massive rebuilding job and he’s done a fairly good job. A fairly shocking summer window is a massive overreaction.

I'm surprised you aren't calling for the manager's head then considering he has this squad of superstars at his disposal, yet we are languishing in mid-table after falling at the first hurdle in all of the cups.

Definitely me that's overreacting though.

http://www.qosfc.com/news-4902

Update from AJ. Nothing concrete here. Gutted about departures, wants to bring three extra bodies and felt players got a good run out vs. Rangers and Killie reserves game. Barely worth a web article.

I think the barely worth a web article is a bit unfair. Even with nothing concrete to report there would be those equally critical of the manager if he didn’t give an update.

10 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

http://www.qosfc.com/news-4902

Update from AJ. Nothing concrete here. Gutted about departures, wants to bring three extra bodies and felt players got a good run out vs. Rangers and Killie reserves game. Barely worth a web article.

What are you expecting? Full details of the players we are looking at? If he came out and told us we were going to make a particular signing and it didn't happen, this thread would be full of more negative comments.

We're all desperate to see new faces, but we want the best we can get. Let's leave it to AJ and we can judge him a the end of the season.

In fact, is it fair to judge the management team on this season's squad? They only had a few months to fill almost an entirely new squad, one transfer window.

I'm surprised you aren't calling for the manager's head then considering he has this squad of superstars at his disposal, yet we are languishing in mid-table after falling at the first hurdle in all of the cups.
Definitely me that's overreacting though.

Simply comparing to last season. We’ve upgraded in almost every position. The only position I’d say we aren’t as strong in is going forward - we would always struggle replacing Dykes.

Last season we finished 9th. Currently we’re in a good position for 5th/6th. An upgrade on last season.

I suppose for all intents and purposes it's akin to a presser. Maybe, as you suggest, my conclusion a bit unfair.

I think the barely worth a web article is a bit unfair. Even with nothing concrete to report there would be those equally critical of the manager if he didn’t give an update.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Er, what? In what way was it a "fairly shocking" summer transfer window? We're not a better side right now than we were in May? Ok, I accept the last week hasn't helped the situation with losing McCrorie and Faiss but before that?

You're right though about the pros and cons of loans. There's always that risk. I recall also being concerned during Zander Clark's two seasons here in case St Johnstone suddenly felt the need to recall him. The frustrating thing here is that they've not done so for their own use, they've done to to send him elsewhere. But it is what it is and as our Dumbarton friend pointed out we've been on the other side of that sort of thing before. It's really no different from the Joe Thomson situation. We'll need to get players in obviously as we're two or three down now (not that McCarthy was ever a significant part of the 1st team anyway).

The Joe Thomson situation was different because Celtic wanted him training and playing for a full time club .

I can see no benefit for McCorie playing for Livi rather than us he will  be doing exactly the same job okay he is playing against and with better players but he is a goalkeeper wherever he plays 

We must move on my choice of a replacement would be Jamie McDonald  but he will probable be out of our budget .

This window has been a disaster.

3 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

The Joe Thomson situation was different because Celtic wanted him training and playing for a full time club .

I can see no benefit for McCorie playing for Livi rather than us he will  be doing exactly the same job okay he is playing against and with better players but he is a goalkeeper wherever he plays 

We must move on my choice of a replacement would be Jamie McDonald  but he will probable be out of our budget .

Can't have Mcdonald he has played for Killie & Alloa... Can see Ross Stewart coming on loan from Livi tho.. 

This from the man who wanted us to accept buttons for Brownlie

Idiot !

I bet AJ is relieved that he is not facing a half yearly appraisal from some on this site. Inherited a shambles from his predecessor, had only one signed player, had 4 play off games to negotiate before he could even start thinking about recruitment, and then had to try and entice Championship standard FT players whilst offering them wages that are only marginally better than PT terms.

I would say that to get players like McCrorie, Pybus,Kilday, El Baik, Holt (although suspect this deal was done pre AJ) was a very respectable effort in the circumstances. Squad players like Oliver, Hamilton, Kidd and Paton could have contributed more but it is not as though they are incapable of delivering at this level and it is tough for the two strikers with Dobbie an automatic starter. Lyon and Osman are solid additions. McCarthy was disappointing.

I think if I was looking for examples of shocking summer windows I would look no further than Falkirk and Partick - both clubs paying the majority of their key players £700 - £900 per week and getting a very modest return. If AJ had carried their financial muscle then criticism would have been justified but with the hand he has had to play I think not.

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

I wonder if we will get goalkeeper Ross Stewart from Livi on loan on Thursday morning.. 

Seems likely.

Based on what I have seen, Stewart is a goalkeeper who makes rash decisions and doesn't seem to make out of the ordinary saves. Whereas Sarkic and Kelly last season seemed to pull great saves out all the time, I can't remember Stewart making many that saved otherwise certain goals. Of the few clear chances we conceded, almost all ended up in the net.