The Queen of the South thread

Regarding the FT or PT stuff would a hybrid model not be an option if the club had to scale back for whatever reason? ie a handful of players full time then the rest part time. Airdrie have adopted such a model for this season.

39 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Have heard a new director will join the board in February hopefully he will bring new investment ..

With that in mind hopefully this week AJ can get at least 2 players hopefully 3 in to push us towards the play offs if not then it will be another struggle  just to stay in the Championship 

The team as it stands is more than capable of staying in this league.

a couple of signings would give us the best chance to push for top 4.

Sadly with the current group of players it's highly unlikely that we'll not be in the relegation zone come April.

Based on what evidence?

I can count three players (Dobbie, Mercer and Brownlie) who played 50% of the matches from this week onwards last season, that still play for us this season. There’s nothing to suggest that with a new squad, under a new manager, we’ll have the same capitulation that put us in the relegation play-offs.

We’ve lost 2 players (one hardly played) and have 2 weeks left to bring in bodies. Arbroath have went off the boil, as have Dunfermline, and we have game(s) in hand against every team in the league, while sitting 6 points off third (with a game in hand).

If we can bring in 2 quality players (easier said then done) there’s no reason why we can’t get into the top 4.

9 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Based on what evidence?

I can count three players (Dobbie, Mercer and Brownlie) who played 50% of the matches from this week onwards last season, that still play for us this season. There’s nothing to suggest that with a new squad, under a new manager, we’ll have the same capitulation that put us in the relegation play-offs.

We’ve lost 2 players (one hardly played) and have 2 weeks left to bring in bodies. Arbroath have went off the boil, as have Dunfermline, and we have game(s) in hand against every team in the league, while sitting 6 points off third (with a game in hand).

If we can bring in 2 quality players (easier said then done) there’s no reason why we can’t get into the top 4.

I like your optimism, but I can't see two teams being below us at the end of the season, and if we're into the relegation playoffs we'll likely be playing full time teams in the knock outs. I fear for us this season.

1 minute ago, JessieField said:

I like your optimism, but I can't see two teams being below us at the end of the season, and if we're into the relegation playoffs we'll likely be playing full time teams in the knock outs. I fear for us this season.

Queens are a game in hand off being a couple of points off top four. 

Why do you think it will be so so different over the last 16 games. Replacing Faz is important I agree, but really ?

1 hour ago, SueSue said:

Queens are a game in hand off being a couple of points off top four. 

Why do you think it will be so so different over the last 16 games. Replacing Faz is important I agree, but really ?

Based on a small sample, admittedly, but our average points per game with El Bakh missing was 1 (also lost to QP in the cup). So, assuming we maintained that average for the remainder of the season, and everybody else maintained theirs, we’d finish 8th on 42 points. Probably enough to avoid the relegation play-offs, but assumes Thistle don’t improve sufficiently after the window.

Average points per game with El Bakh playing was 1.4, which would have given us 49 points, which probably wouldn’t be enough for a top 4 finish.

The above is overly simplistic, but how our season pans out depends very much on who, if anybody, we bring in. If we don’t sign anybody, the remainder of the season could be a struggle, especially if any of the key players (one in particular) gets injured. The small squad is now even smaller than before. We need 2 players just to get the numbers back up to where they were at the start of the season. And people were talking about adding to the squad. I don’t think anybody factored in one of the better players leaving. So, even ignoring the loss of McCarthy, if we needed 2 players to push on, we now need 3.

Edited by Flash

Based on a small sample, admittedly, but our average points per game with El Bakh missing was 1 (also lost to QP in the cup). So, assuming we maintained that average for the remainder of the season, and everybody else maintained theirs, we’d finish 8th on 42 points. Probably enough to avoid the relegation play-offs, but assumes Thistle don’t improve sufficiently after the window.
Average points per game with El Bakh playing was 1.4, which would have given us 49 points, which probably wouldn’t be enough for a top 4 finish.
The above is overly simplistic, but how our season pans out depends very much on who, if anybody, we bring in.

I see the logic and what you’re trying to say, but if we’re talking about us without El Bakh then you need to consider Pars without Kiltie or Ryan, Thistle without Kakay, Dundee (potentially) without Dorrans etc.

I get the point you’re trying to make, and if we don’t replace El Bakh 42 points probably isn’t far off, but we aren’t the only team in who’ve lost key player(s).

We’ll definitely bring in one this window, probably 2. We have two loans available so I’d be surprised if at least one of them wasn’t used.

2 hours ago, Flash said:

The above is overly simplistic, but how our season pans out depends very much on who, if anybody, we bring in. If we don’t sign anybody, the remainder of the season could be a struggle, especially if any of the key players (one in particular) gets injured. The small squad is now even smaller than before. We need 2 players just to get the numbers back up to where they were at the start of the season. And people were talking about adding to the squad. I don’t think anybody factored in one of the better players leaving. So, even ignoring the loss of McCarthy, if we needed 2 players to push on, we now need 3.

I just think that whilst the stats are correct. If you look at the Summer and the few players the club had, it took them 5 or 6 league games to get going.

A win in the game in hand and a top 4 finish is more realistic than a bottom 2 finish.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

I can’t think of a single reason why anyone would think a top 4 finish is realistic at the present moment, apart from blind optimism. I’d put us about 4 or 5 players short of that target.

I’d take 8th right now if it was on offer.

A game in hand at Morton. A win there and One point off the top four.

How boring life would be if you can’t be optimistic about your football team.

I will let you take an 8th place finish............I would prefer to take our chances than except That.

A game in hand at Morton. A win there and One point off the top four.
 How boring life would be if you can’t be delusional about your football team.
I will let you take an 8th place finish............I would prefer to take our chances than except That.

FTFY.