The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

As you state yourself, QoS didn't try hard enough to sign him. Falkirk certainly tried harder and got their man.

Falkirk tried harder in as much as they could offer him a better deal and permanent contract  courtesy of a bigger budget than ours. We would hopefully have offered him our best   deal that we could comfortably afford,  and if he'd been simply looking for a loan period I'd like to think he would have  come here instead.  He's a good enough player but not worth breaking the bank for or getting into a bidding war over. There's trying harder and there's being rash by spending money you don't have. 

2 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

As you state yourself, QoS didn't try hard enough to sign him. Falkirk certainly tried harder and got their man.

40 minutes ago, SueSue said:

It’s not down to how hard you try to sign a player. It’s how much you can afford to pay them.

£600 a week at Queens or £1,000 a week at Falkirk !!!! For example.

Figures maybe wrong of course but you get the drift !!!!

I would also imagine Dundee would have had to pay him off from his current contract. So all in all Todd has done well out of the deal. 

Pay off, similar salary, 18 month contract, happy days

22 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Falkirk tried harder in as much as they could offer him a better deal and permanent contract  courtesy of a bigger budget than ours. We would hopefully have offered him our best   deal that we could comfortably afford,  and if he'd been simply looking for a loan period I'd like to think he would have  come here instead.  He's a good enough player but not worth breaking the bank for or getting into a bidding war over. There's trying harder and there's being rash by spending money you don't have. 

I'll do it for you @jagfox99

giphy (10).gif

3 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

Part-time football in Dumfries will eventually end In relegation; there would be no challenge for the top four, ever!

Does that mean you'd stop watching then?

Did we not manage a 4th place finish when part-time, some time in the mid-noughties?

Edited by Monkey Tennis

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, Bluenortherner said:
Part-time football in Dumfries will eventually end In relegation; there would be no challenge for the top four, ever!

Because we never managed a Top 4 finish when we were PT?

Finished 4th 2004/2005 when still part time I think.

The PT vs FT question is a choice between a rock and a hard place really.

Going PT would be a massive backwards step. It would fuel the argument the club have no ambition and “don’t want to go up”, it would hit crowds, and would eventually lead to relegation.

Sadly our current plight as the “smallest full time team” doesn’t offer much greater prospects.

It does feel a bit like the club needs a fresh impetus and some new ideas. It could certainly do with some new investment. I don’t think there are long queues of people desperate to offer either unfortunately.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Going PT would be a massive backwards step. It would fuel the argument the club have no ambition and “don’t want to go up”, it would hit crowds, and would eventually lead to relegation.

Sadly our current plight as the “smallest full time team” doesn’t offer much greater prospects.

It does feel a bit like the club needs a fresh impetus and some new ideas. It could certainly do with some new investment. I don’t think there are long queues of people desperate to offer either unfortunately.

Spot on .

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Yeah, this.

On a related note, does anybody else feel like they’ve not really missed it the last couple of weeks? And I know El Bakh wasn’t brilliant, but the prospect of going back to watch a team made up substantially of the players who were on the pitch for the Queen’s Park game isn’t really all that appealing.

31 minutes ago, Flash said:

Yeah, this.

On a related note, does anybody else feel like they’ve not really missed it the last couple of weeks? And I know El Bakh wasn’t brilliant, but the prospect of going back to watch a team made up substantially of the players who were on the pitch for the Queen’s Park game isn’t really all that appealing.

Need a couple of fresh  athletic  players  .

Sadly with the current group of players it's highly unlikely that we'll not be in the relegation zone come April. When we play well we're a really good team but we are inconsistent and have been now for a few seasons.  Almost everyone in this league can out bid us for the type of player we need. Losing to Queens Park was a real blow and I'd like to think we would have given Kilmarnock a better game yesterday. Like Palmy Cammy it really is time for fresh impetus and some new ideas. Anyone out there got any that the current Board haven't tried?

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Have heard a new director will join the board in February hopefully he will bring new investment ..

With that in mind hopefully this week AJ can get at least 2 players hopefully 3 in to push us towards the play offs if not then it will be another struggle  just to stay in the Championship