The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

We won’t really know how damaging a departure this is until we see who replaces him. If it’s Michael Paton then yeah, we’re screwed but it shouldn’t be impossible to find a player that can contribute the 1 goal and 15 appearances he managed.

We are a better team this season with El Bakhtaoui in the side, no doubt. It hasn’t happened enough though due to his injuries.

I’m not mourning the loss of a club legend tonight as many seem to be, but the end of a minor footnote in a thoroughly forget-able season.

Probably largely fair, but it does feel like a bit of a blow.

Despite having Dobbie, we know that the side can lack attacking flair.  And despite the shortcomings that saw him play for us at all, El Bakhtaoui could provide some of that.  He doesn't strike me as someone it'll be that easy to replace.

This season could yet go in wildly differing directions, so to lose a player whose contribution most of us valued, is a concern.

Our last two games highlighted how much of a loss El Bak will be. Against Ayr we played some really good stuff and could have won by more. Against Utd when he was absent we offered absolutely nothing going forward.

Really is a big couple of weeks now for the club, If they want any chance of finishing the season in the top 4 the manager must be given funds to add to the squad. We already needed more attacking options and with Bakthaoiu leaving it is even more of a priority to get a couple of forward thinking players in (even on loan) surely ther are players out there that spfl teams want to get 1st team football that will also improve our team.

Hope Bakthaoiu does well at his new club he will be missed in Queens colours, He was a great threat going forward with the ball at his feet at speed and had great delivery at corners. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

8 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Probably largely fair, but it does feel like a bit of a blow.

Despite having Dobbie, we know that the side can lack attacking flair.  And despite the shortcomings that saw him play for us at all, El Bakhtaoui could provide some of that.  He doesn't strike me as someone it'll be that easy to replace.

This season could yet go in wildly differing directions, so to lose a player whose contribution most of us valued, is a concern.

The parallels with Harkins leaving are a bit worrying.  He was another who only showed what he could do in flashes, and was in and out of the team a lot due to injuries.  But like El Bakhtaoui, he was our most potent threat after Dobbie and our season fell away when he left.

Of course it wasn't all down to Harkins leaving.  His replacement having a groin made of glass didn't help, nor did the injuries to other important players, but it shows we can ill afford to lose key players.

Just now, jagfox99 said:

Josh Todd available on loan and Ian McShane availed from Falkirk. Could see one or both return back hame...

Morton and Falkirk want Todd. If McShane can’t get a game for Falkirk then I’m not sure I want him back here. 

1 minute ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Morton and Falkirk want Todd. If McShane can’t get a game for Falkirk then I’m not sure I want him back here. 

I’d guess centre midfield isn’t a priority for QoS at the moment. Todd would be an excellent replacement for Faiss though.

13 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

I’d guess centre midfield isn’t a priority for QoS at the moment. Todd would be an excellent replacement for Faiss though.

No we need a CM as we’ve lost one during this window but I’d rather it wasn’t McShane. As for Todd, I’d have him back. 

Falkirk are an absolute mess right now, I doubt it's all down to McShane's ability that he isn't being played. I'd have him back in a heartbeat, he'd instantly walk in to our starting 11.

Falkirk are an absolute mess right now, I doubt it's all down to McShane's ability that he isn't being played. I'd have him back in a heartbeat, he'd instantly walk in to our starting 11.
I'll drop him off. Feel no dislike to him at all, although he splits opinion in our support I think, with probably more thinking he is shite. I dont think hes shite, I just think theres no place for him in our team.

9 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

The parallels with Harkins leaving are a bit worrying.  He was another who only showed what he could do in flashes, and was in and out of the team a lot due to injuries.  But like El Bakhtaoui, he was our most potent threat after Dobbie and our season fell away when he left.

Of course it wasn't all down to Harkins leaving.  His replacement having a groin made of glass didn't help, nor did the injuries to other important players, but it shows we can ill afford to lose key players.

In my recollection, the revisionism regarding Harkins went in the other direction.  It was only after he left that people claimed he'd been lazy and ineffective.

I think we did miss him badly, but lots on here suggested otherwise.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I’d hope if we showed in an interest in either they’d prefer to come back to a place they’ve had successful time at before. I’d take both, Todd would be class

I can't see mcarthy being replaced we have effectively done that by extending osman contract Todd would be a good replacement if he was fit I think mcshane and Todd would be good signings

19 minutes ago, gogs said:

I can't see mcarthy being replaced we have effectively done that by extending osman contract Todd would be a good replacement if he was fit I think mcshane and Todd would be good signings

You’re probably right, we’ve got enough options in the centre.  Lyon, Pybus, Osman, Kidd and even Paton. I’d like to see a more creative player in the middle though but hey ho. 
We were always looking to be bringing in at least one player this window but with two leaving I’m just thinking about replacing man for man. 

You’re probably right, we’ve got enough options in the centre.  Lyon, Pybus, Osman, Kidd and even Paton. I’d like to see a more creative player in the middle though but hey ho. 
We were always looking to be bringing in at least one player this window but with two leaving I’m just thinking about replacing man for man. 

Need someone that can play a bit in there also. Kidd and Paton nothing but cover for me.