The Queen of the South thread

50 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

We did a few times when Naysmith was the manager but A.J. seems to like to go up on the Friday no need for me  leaving on Saturday morning is more than enough time to prepare for the game 

We did it once! 

We stayed overnight all 4 games last season, even the one that ended up being a Friday night. And yes we are travelling up Friday this time.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
6 hours ago, Fae_the_ said:
I just knew when it was mentioned about Lyle training with us that someone would jump in with the "let's sign him"  patter. He's kept himself fit and is scoring a few in a division below but no way should he be considered a possible signing and I would be super underwhelmed if it was even being mooted,   as much as I liked Lyle. 

Add to that that the Lyle and Dobbie combination didn't work.

What games were you watching ?

What games were you watching ?

It never worked.

Dobbie and Del played together for much of the 16/17 and 17/18 seasons. Dobs got 26 and 27 goals (although Del wasn’t on the pitch for all of them). Lyle didn’t score for us again after November 2017 in a Scottish Cup replay vs Montrose (if I remember correctly).

When Dykes and Dobbie played together (18/19) Dobs got 43. Dykes was on the pitch for every single one of those goals.

The idea of two of Queens’ finest forward players in our history playing together is dreamy, but it wasn’t as effective as everyone seems to think it is.

6 hours ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

It never worked.

Dobbie and Del played together for much of the 16/17 and 17/18 seasons. Dobs got 26 and 27 goals (although Del wasn’t on the pitch for all of them). Lyle didn’t score for us again after November 2017 in a Scottish Cup replay vs Montrose (if I remember correctly).

When Dykes and Dobbie played together (18/19) Dobs got 43. Dykes was on the pitch for every single one of those goals.

The idea of two of Queens’ finest forward players in our history playing together is dreamy, but it wasn’t as effective as everyone seems to think it is.

To be fair,  I think there are a few already on here who have pointed out that it wasn't the golden partnership that Nithsdale Wanderer thinks he remembers. 

44 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Isn't it a bit odd that the Morton game still hadn't been rescheduled?

32 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Probably waiting to see how they get on in Scottish cup, as if they go out there’s a free weekend next month

This. If Morton go out of the cup to St Johnstone it's likely the game will be played on the free Saturday in February. If they don't then it will be rearranged for a free Tuesday back end of Jan or early Feb I expect. If Morton go through and Thistle go out (which given they are playing Celtic must be highly likely) we'll probably talk to Thistle about bringing forward the midweek game due in March to that February Saturday.

40 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

SPFL tweeting saying theirs a pitch inspection at Caley today at mid-day.

And I suppose if Inverness happen to lose to Alloa in the Cup the ICT game would be an even more obvious rearrangement for that free Saturday when it is confirmed as being off tomorrow.

54 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

SPFL tweeting saying theirs a pitch inspection at Caley today at mid-day.

If there a referee involved I hope he at least puts a pair of boots on when testing the ground unlike the Ref at Cappielow. 

38 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

Part of the pitch up at Morton was completely unplayable. Boots or no boots.

I think you're in the minority with that view imo.  Certainly both Managers thought it was playable.  One strip down the side was unplayable at the time of the inspection,  but if the Ref had been there when he should have been and inspected it then,  the ground staff would have more time to deal with it, plus the rain did go off around kick off time. 

3 hours ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

What's he like?

He looks brilliant on Instagram. Goes to cool European destinations, attends snazzy-looking Parisian gyms, scores sublime-looking goals in training, has a famous father.

We've barely seen a sniff of him in the first team, though. He honestly looks like he should be a good player, but he's got some competition ahead of him in the 'one of the three playing behind the striker' position and it seems Jim just doesn't fancy him for some reason. He's only on a single year deal and we've just signed another player in his position so I can't imagine he's going to feature again for us. 

The theory is that we signed him at a point when the fans (and probably the club) were getting a bit twitchy in the summer re lack of signings, and he's not quite cut it. I can't even say if he'd be any good for you: I don't think he lacks ability, it's more likely to be temperament and workrate, IMO.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I think you're in the minority with that view imo.  Certainly both Managers thought it was playable.  One strip down the side was unplayable at the time of the inspection,  but if the Ref had been there when he should have been and inspected it then,  the ground staff would have more time to deal with it, plus the rain did go off around kick off time. 

Not my understanding. Anyone I spoke to who was actually there and saw it was pretty clear it was very obviously unplayable.

Edited by Skyline Drifter