The Queen of the South thread

Dobbie on corner duty is a big no no also. Thought his distribution was very poor. 
Add to that free-kicks. Said it a couple of weeks ago as well. When we had one yesterday I said it was hitting the wall. I never got remotely 'excited' when I saw Dobbs was lining it up.

4 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Dobbie on corner duty is a big no no also. Thought his distribution was very poor. 

Far better with El Bak when fit on corners next best is Murray or even Paton but not Dobbie .

At free kicks Murray should hit them can't remember the last good free kick Dobbie has hit .

Have Queens the smallest squad in numbers in the Championship every other team always fills the bench we only had 1 sub with any experience you just can't get away with that in the Championship 

15 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Have Queens the smallest squad in numbers in the Championship every other team always fills the bench we only had 1 sub with any experience you just can't get away with that in the Championship 

Now that's just not true. Yesterday was a bit freakish in the circumstances of a couple of injuries, an illness and a suspension all hitting in the same week but other team regularly don't fill their bench either. Arbroath only named 6 subs on their last visit before Xmas. Ayr only had five subs here in November. Arbroath also only had 6 on the opening day. And that's just looking at games against us.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Now that's just not true. Yesterday was a bit freakish in the circumstances of a couple of injuries, an illness and a suspension all hitting in the same week but other team regularly don't fill their bench either. Arbroath only named 6 subs on their last visit before Xmas. Ayr only had five subs here in November. Arbroath also only had 6 on the opening day. And that's just looking at games against us.

Nothing freakish about couple of injuries and a suspension at this time of the season. Lucky that's all we have take it Mccarthy has left no mention of him from AJ or yourself... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

6 subs? Luxury. We used to dream of having 6 subs.

A good interview with young Ross irving on QOS TV yesterday. A young local boy who is proud and happy to play for his local club. Good luck to him in the future.

I agree with that - firstly I thought he did well yesterday when he came on and in his other brief appearances he has looked a natural athlete, pacy, enthusiastic and promising. He came across very well in interview - we desperately need some local talent genuinely challenging for first team action. Sincerely hope he can keep progressing.

The lack of subs yesterday is probably more of a damning indictment of our reserve team than our first team, although it doesn't show either in a particularly great light.

Assuming Johnston has deemed none of them good enough to step up, surely we have players in the reserves that would have benefited from being part of the match day squad and all that it entails.  Even if Johnston had no intention of playing them surely there are still benefits to them taking part in the warm up, watching how seasoned pros like Dobbie, Paton, Kilday etc. prepare for a match.  Even just being part of the "matchday experience", watching Johnston and Clark at work from the dugout and being inside Palmy with a semi-decent crowd.

Fair enough AJ may have been making a statement to the board, but putting 16 and 17 year olds on the bench makes exactly the same statement.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

The lack of subs yesterday is probably more of a damning indictment of our reserve team than our first team, although it doesn't show either in a particularly great light.

Assuming Johnston has deemed none of them good enough to step up, surely we have players in the reserves that would have benefited from being part of the match day squad and all that it entails.  Even if Johnston had no intention of playing them surely there are still benefits to them taking part in the warm up, watching how seasoned pros like Dobbie, Paton, Kilday etc. prepare for a match.  Even just being part of the "matchday experience", watching Johnston and Clark at work from the dugout and being inside Palmy with a semi-decent crowd.

Fair enough AJ may have been making a statement to the board, but putting 16 and 17 year olds on the bench makes exactly the same statement.

Spot on. There is no excuse for not having a full compliment of subs. Naysmith did the same too. 

Surely a bit of first team experience for these lads wouldn’t go a miss. 

Edited by qos_75

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

I agree.

why there could not have been another couple of youth players on the bench annoys me.

As you say, just to see how the players and management go about a match day would all add to these players learning. Also to see how the away team go about things.

Especially against a top of the table side.

12 minutes ago, SueSue said:

I agree.

why there could not have been another couple of youth players on the bench annoys me.

As you say, just to see how the players and management go about a match day would all add to these players learning. Also to see how the away team go about things.

Especially against a top of the table side.

Think a few of the reserves are out on loan at the moment & the others work the turnstiles and look after the mascots on match days.

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

9 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Think a few of the reserves are out on loan at the moment & the others work the turnstiles and look after the mascots on match days.

I understand and a great job they do.

But they are with the club to hopefully become footballers. Not turnstile operators.

A chance for any of these lads to get a place on the bench is priceless..... Especially when there are 3 spaces not being filled. 

I just think an opportunity has been missed. 

I always wondered this but I guess if they are never going to feature ahead of the 3 that were listed outfield the managers perspective is "whats the point" if they would also need fed etc before the match it would be more expenditure on players who have no chance of being used.

11 minutes ago, football maniac said:

I always wondered this but I guess if they are never going to feature ahead of the 3 that were listed outfield the managers perspective is "whats the point" if they would also need fed etc before the match it would be more expenditure on players who have no chance of being used.

What