The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Flash said:

As we seem to be keen to sign players for next season who aren’t Premiership standard, I take it we’re all assuming we’re not getting promoted via the play-offs this season, then?

And if the players aren’t good enough to get us promoted this season (especially the likes of Lyon, Osman, Semple and Oliver) why would we even be considering getting them signed up for next season?

Dykes, Marshall, Todd, Doyle managed to get us second bottom of the league last season. 
With your thinking, we were well rid of them I assume.

41 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Dykes, Marshall, Todd, Doyle managed to get us second bottom of the league last season. 
With your thinking, we were well rid of them I assume.

Dykes is playing in the Premiership, so not sure why you’ve included him when my point was that signing players now who aren’t Premiership standard is an indication that you don’t expect to be in it next season.

Obviously, you can have decent level players in an otherwise poor team that you could retain and try to build around in the hope of getting promotion the following season. Dykes, Todd and Marshall would fall into that category. Doyle wouldn’t.  I don’t think that many of the current squad fall into that category. And I don’t think anybody does. I think people are saying who to sign for next season on the basis that they would be good enough not to get us relegated, not that they would be good enough to get us promoted. I could be wrong, though. But I don’t think I’m wrong about anybody thinking we will be playing in the Premiership next season based on who they want to sign.

18 minutes ago, TheDoonhamer said:

Does anyone know when the morton game has been rescheduled for? It is a huge one and think about using up my Tuesday night for it.

Don’t think it has been rescheduled yet. They could be waiting to see if Morton get knocked out the Cup, in which case they could play it on Saturday 8 February.

Have heard Queens have  got a new director lined up to join the board good news hopefully he will bring new ideas and more important invest some of his hard earned cash into the club. 

The same rumour that was kicking about a month ago? Or a different name?

9 minutes ago, Fitbafollower said:

Brownlie trying to get his move to Thistle in January and not wait till end of season 

will the QoS board accept a minimal fee and let him leave now?

Given that a solid defence could be the difference between staying up or not, the board would be well entitled to tell Thistle to stump up 6 figures or gtf.

No thanks. 

Really? He'd walk into our midfield and instantly be an improvement.
Brownlie trying to get his move to Thistle in January and not wait till end of season 
As DHD has said, we can't afford to let him go so we'd need some decent cash to bring in a replacement. He's a QoS player until the end of the season and I'd expect Brownlie to perform as well as possible for us until that point.

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Really? He'd walk into our midfield and instantly be an improvement.

This. He could also play in either of the wide positions too.

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

As DHD has said, we can't afford to let him go so we'd need some decent cash to bring in a replacement. He's a QoS player until the end of the season and I'd expect Brownlie to perform as well as possible for us until that point.

Id also expect him to perform for us, and its probably moot now that Thistle are finding a bit of form, but if we were to end up battling them at the wrong end of the table Im not sure Id want to put the player in that position. 

If we could find a replacement, which is a big if, I wouldnt be pulling out any stops to keep him in January.

4 hours ago, Fitbafollower said:

What a horrible coincidence Brownlie is out injured the very first game after his pre contract is signed.

Don’t like these agreements as quite clearly the player will not want to get injured for his new employer and obvious Summer wage increase has the players head turned.