The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Did the pigeon just get in with that message,  it's been talked about for more than a fortnight now. 

It's actually been mentioned in sunspot news for the 1st time regardless of whether it's been mentioned a fortnight ago or not so I would imagine that's why Brother Grimm brought it up 

9 minutes ago, Trollied said:

It's actually been mentioned in sunspot news for the 1st time regardless of whether it's been mentioned a fortnight ago or not so I would imagine that's why Brother Grimm brought it up 

Wtf is sunspot news?  Are we supposed to wait to see things in "sunspot news"  before its regarded as real news. 

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Paper talk.... 

Money talks. Thistle have got their Lottery winner in charge now, they may have cash to throw around.

With the majority of our guys only on deals until the end of the season, it looks like another rebuilding job. We really need players tied down on longer deals so that we have continuity and the nucleus of a squad.

9 minutes ago, Benji said:

Money talks. Thistle have got their Lottery winner in charge now, they may have cash to throw around.

With the majority of our guys only on deals until the end of the season, it looks like another rebuilding job. We really need players tied down on longer deals so that we have continuity and the nucleus of a squad.

It won't happen players agents won't allow there players to sign 2 year deals in hope of a better move the following season and more money for both player & agent..... 

20 hours ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

It is such a shame the way we played against Patrick Thistle on the last game of the season. Not just because we ended up in the play offs but we got a really good home support that day and people answered the rallying call. I don't think any of them have been seen since. That was such an opportunity missed.

I came up from London for that one. Didn't come again until 23 November...

14 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

Obviously not ITK like yourself, can you point me to where it was discussed?

You don't have to be ITK,  just read some posts earlier in this thread and on other threads. Dobbie's name was also being mentioned linking him to Partick Thistle,  again that's not me being ITK,  just reading what's been posted earlier.  

I am loving the Chaplain's Corner stuff on the official site. What an excellent initiative. Fascinating insights into the lives of specific players and the dressing room in general.

Was coming on to post the exact same thing, really good reads. Brave from Scott Mercer regarding the professional help he sought, its obviously made a difference. I did use to fear for Mercer when he was up against a tricky winger; if he went past him once, you felt mercer was targeted the entire game. Remember at least one nightmare he had up against McMullen.

Do feel he’s become a solid right back at our level though, probably the potential to get a few more goals as he does have a decent strike on him.

One for the oldies here.

'Whenever I hear the festive Tune 'Tis the Season etc  I end up singing along with the words 'Peter Dickson walks on water'

After signing in November 1975 for a talented  but struggling QOS side he completely transformed our Season.

After a dull 0-0 debut at home to Clyde on a very dull November day we were then at home to an attractive Partick side with the larger than life Bertie Auld in charge and Alan Rough in goal.

Can't remember if it was the winner or equaliser but PD scored the proverbial deflection off his backside, final score 2-1 in front of a very lively covered terracing - no segregation in those days !

The turnaround in form was amazing and we went on a fantastic run in the League as well as a great Cup run defeating Premier League St.Johnstone and Ayr in that unforgettable 5-4 replay   -   over 8000 at both Ayr games and 2500 away at Somerset.    Great days to remember !

Dickson's confidence was infectious - some would say arrogant, big headed and outrageous  - but he backed it up with goals and performances.  His pace at that time was phenomenal  and I have never seen a better one-on -one finisher at Palmerston.  He could also deliver a rocket - 4th  against Ayr - and his lob to clinch that match was superb and is right up there with my favourite moments of all-time.

I guess my memory was not only jogged by the music but also I found an old Scottish Football League Review  recently which pictured Dickson in his Scotland shirt - not every day you see a QOS player in one of those  !   Selected for the Scottish League and also Under 23's.

Prior to the Cup Run of 2008 that team from 75 - 77 was my all time favourite.

Ball, Miller, McChesney, McLaren, Clark and Boyd, Dempster, Dickson P., Reid, O'Hara and Dickson G.  Subs:   Donald and Thorburn

Solid defence, dig and skill in the midfield and a lethal front three that all blended perfectly for the management team of Mike Jackson and Benny Rooney.

'Tis the season for nostalgia too.

Edited by Nithsdale Wanderer

In 2 minds when there is an error bad goal or major mistake make he normally is at the centre of it I'd have had him down the road years ago.
However this season he has been superb what a difference looks confident and has been out best centre back by a mile he has looked a player.
So while yes I am disappointed I'm not gutted hope I'd does work out for him at firhill tho.

Not for me. I thought Brownlie was absolutely outstanding today. I don't think he lost a single header today and had the division's top goalscorer in his back pocket all afternoon. He really has matured as a player and if he continues like this I expect he'll be on his way to a bigger club soon enough sadly.
My comment after the United win. No real surprise to see it looking likely. Like the poster above I'd have been happy to see him go a season or two ago but he seems to have screwed the nut this season and cut out the needless fouls. I think he could do a job if Thistle are challenging (in this division) next season, if they were to be promoted. It'd be interesting to see if he could hack it in the top flight though.

On 18/12/2019 at 15:55, Margaret Thatcher said:

I am loving the Chaplain's Corner stuff on the official site. What an excellent initiative. Fascinating insights into the lives of specific players and the dressing room in general.

Yep, they've been brilliant.

Nice to see that it's not just us fans that refer to Dobbie as Sir Stephen 😂

On 18/12/2019 at 17:35, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

One for the oldies here.

'Whenever I hear the festive Tune 'Tis the Season etc  I end up singing along with the words 'Peter Dickson walks on water'

After signing in November 1975 for a talented  but struggling QOS side he completely transformed our Season.

After a dull 0-0 debut at home to Clyde on a very dull November day we were then at home to an attractive Partick side with the larger than life Bertie Auld in charge and Alan Rough in goal.

Can't remember if it was the winner or equaliser but PD scored the proverbial deflection off his backside, final score 2-1 in front of a very lively covered terracing - no segregation in those days !

The turnaround in form was amazing and we went on a fantastic run in the League as well as a great Cup run defeating Premier League St.Johnstone and Ayr in that unforgettable 5-4 replay   -   over 8000 at both Ayr games and 2500 away at Somerset.    Great days to remember !

Dickson's confidence was infectious - some would say arrogant, big headed and outrageous  - but he backed it up with goals and performances.  His pace at that time was phenomenal  and I have never seen a better one-on -one finisher at Palmerston.  He could also deliver a rocket - 4th  against Ayr - and his lob to clinch that match was superb and is right up there with my favourite moments of all-time.

I guess my memory was not only jogged by the music but also I found an old Scottish Football League Review  recently which pictured Dickson in his Scotland shirt - not every day you see a QOS player in one of those  !   Selected for the Scottish League and also Under 23's.

Ball, Miller, McChesney, McLaren, Clark and Boyd, Dempster, Dickson P., Reid, O'Hara and Dickson G.  Subs:   Donald and Thorburn

Solid defence, dig and skill in the midfield and a lethal front three that all blended perfectly for the management team of Mike Jackson and Benny Rooney.

Queens had 5 points from 13 games at that point.  The game against Partick Thistle ended 1-1.  With a hint of disrespect, Alan Rough wore an all white strip.  Dickson's first goal in his second game for Queens.

Edited by Soothmoother

Queens had 5 points from 13 games at that point.  The game against Partick Thistle ended 1-1.  With a hint of disrespect, Alan Rough wore an all white strip.  Dickson's first goal in his second game for Queens.

Oh to have a team like that playing today for us only dobbie would get in that team
Wonder how much that team would be worth in today’s market ?

One for the oldies here.

Miscopied from above meant this team only dobbie would get in.
Wonder how much this team worth in today’s market ?