The Queen of the South thread

There is a perception that this season’s defence/defending is better than last season’s. But at the same stage last season, we had conceded 19 goals, exactly the same as this season.  The biggest difference is in goals scored - 26 at this stage last season, 16 this season. If we had managed to score 8 more goals, spread across the games against Ayr and Alloa away and Inverness and Thistle at home (the games a few people have said we “deserved” to win) we’d be second in the league on 30 points. But we’re not, for the simple reason that the defence is no better than last season and the goal scoring considerably worse than at the same stage.

Scoring goals has actually been a problem for almost the whole of 2019. I think it was 8 goals in the last 15 games of last season. And if you exclude the 2 exceptional results v Ayr and Dundee U, we’ve scored 9 goals in 14 games this season.

8 hours ago, Flash said:

There is a perception that this season’s defence/defending is better than last season’s. But at the same stage last season, we had conceded 19 goals, exactly the same as this season.  The biggest difference is in goals scored - 26 at this stage last season, 16 this season. If we had managed to score 8 more goals, spread across the games against Ayr and Alloa away and Inverness and Thistle at home (the games a few people have said we “deserved” to win) we’d be second in the league on 30 points. But we’re not, for the simple reason that the defence is no better than last season and the goal scoring considerably worse than at the same stage.

Scoring goals has actually been a problem for almost the whole of 2019. I think it was 8 goals in the last 15 games of last season. And if you exclude the 2 exceptional results v Ayr and Dundee U, we’ve scored 9 goals in 14 games this season.

We have a lot of  average players this season good players cost money something we don't have a lot of

We can't expect good players with the poor crowds we get just over a 1000 home fans is pathetic  after the Queens Park disaster I don't expect any players to sign in Jan even with 2 loans to use .

Disappointing home performances (especially the cup exit) have once again left the club with the usual 1000 hardcore fans am afraid. The team played really well away at Dundee and again on sat had the team taken one of the chances they created at 1-0 the team would have been sitting on a much better league position 10 points ahead of Partick.  Frustrating... 

By nature I’m not given to making gratuitous complaints, but WTF has happened to these boxed Queens centenary tops?

When I bought one for my son before the Alloa game at the end of Aug, little did I think he wouldn’t even have it for Christmas! 

Handed over my cash, and more than three months later, heard nothing. Not great tbh.

On 08/12/2019 at 09:54, Flash said:

Is it no about time you changed your profile pic Flash?     Not Moriarty any more

A Partick supporting friend asked how we can beat Dundee one week but lose to a shower of shite (his words) the next?

I took my lead from an earlier post and simply replied "Because Queen of the South".

14 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Disappointing home performances (especially the cup exit) have once again left the club with the usual 1000 hardcore fans am afraid. The team played really well away at Dundee and again on sat had the team taken one of the chances they created at 1-0 the team would have been sitting on a much better league position 10 points ahead of Partick.  Frustrating... 

I have posted this on here before. There is no "hard core" of fans that won't drift away. They used to say we had a hardcore of 1700, then it went down to 1500, then 1300, and now 1000 - despite someone pointing out there were fewer than 1000 QoS fans on Saturday (as at various other games over the past 12 months). The crowds will keep dwindling and any sense there's a minimum number we can rely on is misplaced. 

3 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I have posted this on here before. There is no "hard core" of fans that won't drift away. They used to say we had a hardcore of 1700, then it went down to 1500, then 1300, and now 1000 - despite someone pointing out there were fewer than 1000 QoS fans on Saturday (as at various other games over the past 12 months). The crowds will keep dwindling and any sense there's a minimum number we can rely on is misplaced. 

If you keep providing poor results at home then folk will find more enjoyable ways to spend their money on a Saturday.

6 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

We've slipped into lethargy the only way to get crowds back is a winning run and a consistent time near the top

Maybe 1year out of 5 the bod should just push the boat out and spend and if we're still doing well at Xmas follow it up. The worst that could happen is belt tightening and going down but that was good for us last time

1thing for sure we can't carry on like this 

If you keep providing poor results at home then folk will find more enjoyable ways to spend their money on a Saturday.

This is exactly the problem for most clubs of our size trying to maintain a FT set up on a shoestring and somehow compete in an ultra competitive league. For several seasons now a pattern of “expectant disappointment” has set in. Any time we get a great result we invariably fail to capitalise usually at home when we are expected to win - Saturday being a perfect example. Throw in results like Albion Rovers and QP in the Cup just for good measure and you can see why “peripheral supporters” find something else to do.

On 09/12/2019 at 16:38, Dougie Mills said:

They will.  I have. Season before last, I went to a lot of (home) games.  Last season, I went to some home games.  This season, I haven't been to any yet.  Now, I do have a LOT of calls on my time nowadays, but I just don't feel the excitement like I used to.  It's a two-way bargain between a club and its supporters - if we feel that the club (ie BoD)  has ambition, shows positivity and provides half-decent football we'll happily cough up our £18 on a regular basis,  but if it doesn't.......downward spiral.  I can think of a lot of less disappointing ways of spending £20-odd than watching a lack-lustre display at Palmerston.  I think we do need a fresh approach and change of personel on the BoD.  I know who I'd like to see as Chairman, but whether he could be persuaded, I don't know.

They will.  I have. Season before last, I went to a lot of (home) games.  Last season, I went to some home games.  This season, I haven't been to any yet.  Now, I do have a LOT of calls on my time nowadays, but I just don't feel the excitement like I used to.  It's a two-way bargain between a club and its supporters - if we feel that the club (ie BoD)  has ambition, shows positivity and provides half-decent football we'll happily cough up our £18 on a regular basis,  but if it doesn't.......downward spiral.  I can think of a lot of less disappointing ways of spending £20-odd than watching a lack-lustre display at Palmerston.  I think we do need a fresh approach and change of personel on the BoD.  I know who I'd like to see as Chairman, but whether he could be persuaded, I don't know.

Your wish me be granted soon

4 hours ago, oldhat said:

Heard talk of new chairman with the help of & small consortium coming in at end of this season, Time will tell...... 

Have to hope that we retain our Championship status - IF there is to be a change in ownership structure at some point in near future would not want the new incumbents having to try and fight their way out of League 1. Despite a “huge comparative budget” Falkirk are doing their best to arse things up. On that subject Messrs Durnan and McShanes’ careers seem to be nosediving in the wrong direction. Durnan is getting an even worse press than he did at Tannadice and EEP and McShane rarely starts a game.I am surprised that these players can’t comfortably hold their own at that level but guys who go every week say otherwise.

7 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Messrs Durnan and McShanes’ careers seem to be nosediving in the wrong direction.

As opposed to nose-diving in the right direction?

Odds on them signing for us in the near future?