The Queen of the South thread

To change tack, I don't think Dobbie should be captain. His "body language" yesterday was awful the whole game. First half, taking a free kick at goal (at least 36 yards out, maybe more) was daft, at half time he ambled out head down while the younger players ran out. I like a captain who orders his team mates to show some effort, Dobbie's not doing that (unlike last season when he single handedly was driving the team on against St Johnstone even in extra time).  I think a change of captain might benefit him. I fully expect to get slagged to death for this post.

Stephen Dobbie is a Club Legend! Never seen a better striker at this level. However, I totally agree with your statement. Stephen is far too nice a guy to be giving some of these players an onfield bollicking! He needs to concentrate at what he does best, scoring or setting up goals. Big Holty should be Captain imo.

3 hours ago, JessieField said:

To change tack, I don't think Dobbie should be captain. His "body language" yesterday was awful the whole game. First half, taking a free kick at goal (at least 36 yards out, maybe more) was daft, at half time he ambled out head down while the younger players ran out. I like a captain who orders his team mates to show some effort, Dobbie's not doing that (unlike last season when he single handedly was driving the team on against St Johnstone even in extra time).  I think a change of captain might benefit him. I fully expect to get slagged to death for this post.

He looks pissed off and quite rightly so. 

I’ve never particularly agreed with Dobbie being captain, but then I’ve not been able to think of any better alternatives during this time either.

Ideally the captain would be an inspirational figure and an organiser. Somewhere in the middle of the action, usually at centre half or central midfield bossing things. Dobbie is none of those really and is often disjointed from his team mates due to his location on the park and also the fact he operates on another level from them altogether.

We’re certainly lacking in leaders on the pitch. Yesterday wouldn’t have happened under the watch of JT or Bowser. We may still have lost but we would have at least put up a fight.

12 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I’ve never particularly agreed with Dobbie being captain, but then I’ve not been able to think of any better alternatives during this time either.

Ideally the captain would be an inspirational figure and an organiser. Somewhere in the middle of the action, usually at centre half or central midfield bossing things. Dobbie is none of those really and is often disjointed from his team mates due to his location on the park and also the fact he operates on another level from them altogether.

We’re certainly lacking in leaders on the pitch. Yesterday wouldn’t have happened under the watch of JT or Bowser. We may still have lost but we would have at least put up a fight.

Absolutely. There's no way an embarrassing lackadaisical home cup defeat to a team two divisions below us would ever have happened with those two on the pitch.

Oh wait, this is awkward. QoS 1 - 2 Fat Mark Yardley's Albion Rovers

We were awful on Saturday. We lost and we deserved to lose but there hasn't half been some nonsense spoken about it, not least that above. The presence of either Thomson or Bowey, and indeed both of them in that case, didn't preclude embarrassing Cup defeats. The Queens team that lost to Albion Rovers went on to finish 4th in what is now the Championship that season incidentally. Albion Rovers finished 2nd bottom of the whole League.

Absolutely. There's no way an embarrassing lackadaisical home cup defeat to a team two divisions below us would ever have happened with those two on the pitch.
Oh wait, this is awkward. QoS 1 - 2 Fat Mark Yardley's Albion Rovers
We were awful on Saturday. We lost and we deserved to lose but there hasn't half been some nonsense spoken about it, not least that above. The presence of either Thomson or Bowey, and indeed both of them in that case, didn't preclude embarrassing Cup defeats. The Queens team that lost to Albion Rovers went on to finish 4th in what is now the Championship that season incidentally. Albion Rovers finished 2nd bottom of the whole League.

Yep just another dismal cup loss in a long line of them. The away cup game to Albion Rovers when we contrived to lose a late winner to a team down to 10 men which cost us a TV game with Celtic being right up there. That’s 2 embarrassing cup defeats this season alone when we include being 2-0 up at Clyde and contriving to lose 3-2. Add in a dismal 3-3 draw at home to Annan after twice being 2 goals ahead in the Betfred Cup to show a dire set of cup results against teams we should be beating. It’s really poor in all honesty.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yep just another dismal cup loss in a long line of them. The away cup game to Albion Rovers when we contrived to lose a late winner to a team down to 10 men which cost us a TV game with Celtic being right up there. That’s 2 embarrassing cup defeats this season alone when we include being 2-0 up at Clyde and contriving to lose 3-2. Add in a dismal 3-3 draw at home to Annan after twice being 2 goals ahead in the Betfred Cup to show a dire set of cup results against teams we should be beating. It’s really poor in all honesty.

4-0 away to a bottom of the table Airdrie in 2009 would be another, 2 seasons after we almost won the thing! I think we may have been 4 down at half time in that one!

Time to reflect and after all the disappointment and disbelief at the performance and another cup exit only a couple of prevailing questions remain - where is the MAGIC?  Between manager and captain there was no enthusiasm / leadership / motivation. I mean the lack of inspiration and direction from the dugout was unbearable - compare that to the management team a goal and man down to Arbroath in the promotion-double season, it's like chalk and cheese . I understand the lack of numbers in the squad is hurting and 3 of the manager's "favoured" options were missing but no encouragement was offered. THEN our el capitaine - as great a player he is I fear the position he plays and lack of confidence may be of concern - and as for alternative - PYBUS was the only player putting a shift in (IMO) and thinking of his energy and  position could be a possibility?                                                                                    

On a final note / thought of Saturday's debacle - I think the Queens Park #5 (Jamieson) was immense - failing miserably to get around him on the ground the aerial attempts were futile until the last 10 minutes when Holt moved forward - the 3 forwards what 5'6" to 9" tall?- against the tallest central defender - did we actually win an aerial battle in the first 85 minutes? 

Edited by billyqos

1 hour ago, billyqos said:

Time to reflect and after all the disappointment and disbelief at the performance and another cup exit only a couple of prevailing questions remain - where is the MAGIC?  Between manager and captain there was no enthusiasm / leadership / motivation. I mean the lack of inspiration and direction from the dugout was unbearable - compare that to the management team a goal and man down to Arbroath in the promotion-double season, it's like chalk and cheese . I understand the lack of numbers in the squad is hurting and 3 of the manager's "favoured" options were missing but no encouragement was offered. THEN our el capitaine - as great a player he is I fear the position he plays and lack of confidence may be of concern - and as for alternative - PYBUS was the only player putting a shift in (IMO) and thinking of his energy and  position could be a possibility?                                                                                    

On a final note / thought of Saturday's debacle - I think the Queens Park #5 (Jamieson) was immense - failing miserably to get around him on the ground the aerial attempts were futile until the last 10 minutes when Holt moved forward - the 3 forwards what 5'6" to 9" tall?- against the tallest central defender - did we actually win an aerial battle in the first 85 minutes? 

Johnston was to blame why the hell did he not play Holt at left back in  our 2 best performances Holt scored in both games and was outstanding .

When not play Osman at center half .

Lyon is never a left back his best games have been as a attacking midfielder .

Johnston got it all wrong from start to finish why not even try and change it with the 2 subs we never used .

Saturday defeat should have seen the sack for Johnston but we are stuck with him plain and simple because we just don't have the money to pay him off .

What is the point of us having a reserve team yet another heavy defeat today  we should scrap the whole youth set up if any decent local players ever turn up then we should pick them up from local boys clubs

Edited by Northfield 53

Johnston was to blame why the hell did he not play Holt at left back in  our 2 best performances Holt scored in both games and was outstanding .
Johnston got it all wrong from start to finish why not even try and change it with the 2 subs we never used .
Saturday defeat should have seen the sack for Johnston but we are stuck with him plain and simple because we just don't have the money to pay him off .
What is the point of us having a reserve team yet another heavy defeat today  we should scrap the whole youth set up if any decent local players ever turn up then we should pick them up from local boys clubs
The End

Any player subbed 30 minutes into game has every right to be pissed off. Whether playing bad or not.

Thats why the majority of managers tend not to do it.

Any manager, especially an ex player knows full well subbing a player after 30 minutes is far more embarrassing to The player than the player having a bad game.

It was about the only decision AJ got right tbf. It clearly wasn't working and it needed changed. I'd much rather he did it straight away rather than wait until half time just to spare a precious player's feelings. I don't think anyone could have had any complaints if they were hooked after 30 minutes on Saturday. McCarthy was perhaps just unlucky that he was comfortably the worst performer at the time. The only person McCarthy can feel angry with is himself.

Holt into CB was probably the most logical option, but Lyon shouldn’t have been LB. Lewis Kidd should’ve been punted out to LB.

In terms of subs, although Oliver, Dobbie etc clearly weren’t firing, I still felt more confident with them on the pitch than I would’ve with Irving. Gourlay and Osman are defensive and wouldn’t have offered much, if anything, going forward.

He shouldn’t be sacked just yet, deserves until January to try and change things, but if we find ourselves in the relegation places then he absolutely should be away.

35 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Semple, Kilday, El Bakhtaoui, Hamilton.

And I doubt Osman was fully fit Saturday though he was on the bench. I assume if he was fully fit he would have played some part. 

Surely Gourlay should have started at centre half on Sat leaving Holt at LB and giving more option in midfield with Lyon. Really Hope some of if not all of these players are fit to return on Saturday.... Semple what's his injury?? 

23 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Surely Gourlay should have started at centre half on Sat leaving Holt at LB and giving more option in midfield with Lyon. Really Hope some of if not all of these players are fit to return on Saturday.... Semple what's his injury?

Dropped a Scooby Do type burger on his foot.

On a slightly more serious note...

Queens haven’t lost a league game when they’ve scored first. And haven’t won one when they’ve conceded first.

4 wins, 2 draws when scoring first. One draw 6 defeats when conceding first. So, 14 points out of 18 after going ahead. 1 point out of 21 after going behind. In the 6 games they’ve lost, they haven’t scored a single goal.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Semple, Kilday, El Bakhtaoui, Hamilton.

And I doubt Osman was fully fit Saturday though he was on the bench. I assume if he was fully fit he would have played some part. 

What is the injury update with all our injured players are they out long-term ?

Is there no way we can do a pre match interview with Johnston  we used to get a radio interview  before the game  but that has long gone .

11 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

What is the injury update with all our injured players are they out long-term ?

Is there no way we can do a pre match interview with Johnston  we used to get a radio interview  before the game  but that has long gone .

There are quotes from the manager in the match preview every week