The Queen of the South thread

28 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

The board gave Johnston a 2 year deal off the back of beating Montrose and Raith Rovers.  That looks like being a huge error.  Presumably no-one else was even interviewed for the job.  It's absolutely incredible how often we seem to have people just walking into our manager's role due to being in the right place at the right time.

That's more a bigger picture problem than specific to yesterday though.  As far as yesterday is concerned I lay the blame almost entirely at the manager's door.

Ok, there's room for debate about contract length.  Even then though, there's an argument that we needed a bit of long term stability having just survived last season's prolonged nosedive.   I'm not understating the scale of yesterday's calamity in saying that it's not even yet established that AJ is a bad appointment.  League form is erratic, rather than rotten.  You've also got to remember that in January, we had people on here begging the board to tie Naysmith down long-term, such was his genius.

The whole subject is an inexact science, and if a 2 year contract now looks unwise, I can still see where it came from.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ok, there's room for debate about contract length.  Even then though, there's an argument that we needed a bit of long term stability having just survived last season's prolonged nosedive.   I'm not understating the scale of yesterday's calamity in saying that it's not even yet established that AJ is a bad appointment.  League form is erratic, rather than rotten.  You've also got to remember that in January, we had people on here begging the board to tie Naysmith down long-term, such was his genius.

The whole subject is an inexact science, and if a 2 year contract now looks unwise, I can still see where it came from.

The only time a 2 year contract is advantageous is if we suspect we have a hot property on our hands who might be pinched by a bigger club.  Even then I wonder how much compensation we would actually get for a manager.

Johnston was not in that category after being a relative flop everywhere he's been aside from us.  His stock was such that I doubt any other club in this division would touch him, yet he waltzes straight into our job no questions asked.  I can understand why the board felt he had earned it after his salvage operation last season but a two year contract was unjustified.

15 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

The only time a 2 year contract is advantageous is if we suspect we have a hot property on our hands who might be pinched by a bigger club.  Even then I wonder how much compensation we would actually get for a manager.

Johnston was not in that category after being a relative flop everywhere he's been aside from us.  His stock was such that I doubt any other club in this division would touch him, yet he waltzes straight into our job no questions asked.  I can understand why the board felt he had earned it after his salvage operation last season but a two year contract was unjustified.

Aye, you're probably right.  As you say yourself though, it doesn't make the board responsible for yesterday at all really.

They can only justifiably attract blame if we have a terrible season, but are unable to get rid.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Aye, you're probably right.  As you say yourself though, it doesn't make the board responsible for yesterday at all really.

They can only justifiably attract blame if we have a terrible season, but are unable to get rid.

The Cup result has killed our season we will now have no money for players in Jan and now we will again have a huge loss come the end of the season ..

It is going to be a huge fight to stay in the Championship something the manager and players don't seem to have it in them 

26 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

The Cup result has killed our season we will now have no money for players in Jan and now we will again have a huge loss come the end of the season ..

It is going to be a huge fight to stay in the Championship something the manager and players don't seem to have it in them 

Yes, but not sure why you're telling me.

I've already described yesterday as calamitous and disastrous.  The Cup matters for lots of reasons.

Johnston should never have been given a 2 year contract huge mistake now however poor Queens are he will either just continue or get sacked which won't happen as Queens just can't afford to pay him off .

Maybe Queens can’t afford to sack him but Mr Hewitson can. He’s making money whilst we sleep.

18 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I don't know if all is well or not but dropping Semple completely from the teamsheet, then McCarthy openly dissenting when subbed after 30 minutes, suggests it's not a happy dressing room.

Semple is injured, not dropped. McCarthy's not taking being subbed after half an hour well is hardly a surprise. He can have no complaints though. We were 2 down by then and needed to change things. It was an obvious change that did improve us and fair play to Johnston for not waiting to half time to do it.

18 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

McCarthy was a disgrace today. A cowardly performance. He was deliberately moving into positions where he was marked so that he wouldn’t have to receive the ball. A real disappointment after his last positive showing at Palmerston.

The fact the solution to this problem was to bring on an even bigger imposter in Paton shows where we are just now thanks to Johnston’s recruitment.

Not sure if serious? Whilst he disappeared in the second half, in common with pretty much everyone else, Paton certainly improved us when he came on.

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

The board gave Johnston a 2 year deal off the back of beating Montrose and Raith Rovers. 

Er, no, they didn't. They gave him a contract when he came in. Nothing changed after we beat Montrose and Raith. It was never an interim appointment.

Probably a characteristic of fans from most clubs, but as usual there is an a over exaggerated feeling of doom when we lose and we have an equivalent level of over-optimism after a positive result. The reality lies somewhere in the middle.

Yesterday’s result was an embarrassment, but talk of getting rid of Johnston is way too pre-emptive for me. What are Queens fans actually expecting from this season? For me, a finish of 6th or 7th in the league would be fine and we would be punching slightly above our weight if anything given our budget. Obviously hoping for better than that and the performances in the cups have been poor, but unless we find ourselves in the relegation spots come the end of the season I wouldn’t advocate getting rid of the manager.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Semple is injured, not dropped. McCarthy's not taking being subbed after half an hour well is hardly a surprise. He can have no complaints though. We were 2 down by then and needed to change things. It was an obvious change that did improve us and fair play to Johnston for not waiting to half time to do it.

Not sure if serious? Whilst he disappeared in the second half, in common with pretty much everyone else, Paton certainly improved us when he came on.

Er, no, they didn't. They gave him a contract when he came in. Nothing changed after we beat Montrose and Raith. It was never an interim appointment.

He was an improvement on McCarthy but that doesn't exactly say very much, or take away from the bigger picture which is that he is not capable at this level anymore.

As for Johnston and Clark's contracts; whilst I'm happy to be corrected on that one, the reality is arguably worse than the scenario I incorrectly stated.  It shows they had the club over a barrel due to the unplanned sacking of Naysmith, and the club bowed to their demands out of desperation.  I'm afraid the duo simply aren't good enough to be able to have that power over our club.

14 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

Probably a characteristic of fans from most clubs, but as usual there is an a over exaggerated feeling of doom when we lose and we have an equivalent level of over-optimism after a positive result. The reality lies somewhere in the middle.

Yesterday’s result was an embarrassment, but talk of getting rid of Johnston is way too pre-emptive for me. What are Queens fans actually expecting from this season? For me, a finish of 6th or 7th in the league would be fine and we would be punching slightly above our weight if anything given our budget. Obviously hoping for better than that and the performances in the cups have been poor, but unless we find ourselves in the relegation spots come the end of the season I wouldn’t advocate getting rid of the manager.

Each to their own, but I think a feeling of doom is a perfectly rational response to convincingly losing at home to a team two divisions below us in one of the most important games of the season.

Even more so when it has followed a meek exit in the League Cup group stage and a further cup defeat to lower league opposition.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Fair enough, he wasn't injured last week and I hadn't seen an announcement, so assumed the manager was in a huff at his performance v DU.

I thought the McCarthy sub made sense too and was purely tactical. I was just commenting on the fact he was shaking his head looking at the manager as he came off, which suggested a lack of respect for the manager's decisions. But it's no big deal.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Do you really believe Semple is injured ? 

Think Semple will have the same injury as McCarthy will now have. 

How is the door McCarthy booted when he went off is it injured as well !!!

To change tack, I don't think Dobbie should be captain. His "body language" yesterday was awful the whole game. First half, taking a free kick at goal (at least 36 yards out, maybe more) was daft, at half time he ambled out head down while the younger players ran out. I like a captain who orders his team mates to show some effort, Dobbie's not doing that (unlike last season when he single handedly was driving the team on against St Johnstone even in extra time).  I think a change of captain might benefit him. I fully expect to get slagged to death for this post.

4 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:
2 minutes ago, JessieField said:

To change tack, I don't think Dobbie should be captain. His "body language" yesterday was awful the whole game. First half, taking a free kick at goal (at least 36 yards out, maybe more) was daft, at half time he ambled out head down while the younger players ran out. I like a captain who orders his team mates to show some effort, Dobbie's not doing that (unlike last season when he single handedly was driving the team on against St Johnstone even in extra time).  I think a change of captain might benefit him. I fully expect to get slagged to death for this post.

Good luck with that opinion.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I wonder if McCarthy will be "injured" next week...

2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Do you really believe Semple is injured ? 

Think Semple will have the same injury as McCarthy will now have. 

How is the door McCarthy booted when he went off is it injured as well !!!

If you,re correct I expect Semple will be playing for the reserves on Monday if he is not injured.

While I'm at it, can we please stop humping long balls up to small forwards who are being marked by giraffes? I watched Rangers on tv this afternoon playing on a plastic pitch and all the build up/midfield play was on the deck. The ball was occasionally in the air when a final cross was coming in. Even Hamilton kept the ball on the deck in midfield. What do we do in training?  Do we practise control/passing?