The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, JessieField said:

I've just watched the highlights and I think it's a bit much to blame Semple solely for the defeat on Saturday, there's a few others in defence that don't exactly cover themselves in glory. However, once the Palmerston boo-boys get their teeth into a specific player, then he tends to get the blame for everything apparently.

Given that the manager took him off after 40 minutes, replaced him with a left back and was clearly hinting in his post match interview at making the wrong call by playing him at all, I think the Palmerston boo-boys might be the least of Semple’s worries.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

How's Hamilton getting on? Talk of us wanting him back in January since we have 2 strikers, one being Dykes (touted down south for a 7 figure fee move in January) and Lee Miller who is permanently injured and probably away to Falkirk to manage/coach

He has improved last couple of games he has played linking up play with Dobbie and other forwards but went off injured v Ayr after 5min  and didn't feature on Sat v Dun Utd. 

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Was there a post deleted? All I saw about his family was someone questioning if they still attended. I didn't see any malice in the question tbh.
I'm not sure anyone has solely blamed Semple for the defeat. It was more to do with losing Kilday, who's been very good alongside Brownlie. Semple just never stepped up to the mark and getting subbed back off is always going to raise questions. He wouldn't have been the reason we lost the game but the fact he clearly wasn't up to standard was a concern.

I think you missed a reply to my information regarding our continuing support when he is playing or not. I replied to that.  Both reasonable I thought.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I wondered about that.  The question about family sounded entirely like a genuine inquiry to me, without a hint of criticism, implicit or otherwise.

The defensive response seemed a little strange in the context.

There was a second comment to my information regarding our continuing support when playing or not playing  Thought both replies were reasonable and informative

4 hours ago, ATLIS said:

How's Hamilton getting on? Talk of us wanting him back in January since we have 2 strikers, one being Dykes (touted down south for a 7 figure fee move in January) and Lee Miller who is permanently injured and probably away to Falkirk to manage/coach

I’ll have some of what you’re on. As much as he’s improved this season, no-one is paying a seven figure fee for Dykes. Unless you’re including the two zeroes after the full stop. 

Can't think of any reason a 21 year old footballer would want to  sabotage their own career by deliberately putting on weight and becoming unfit to play. Semple came to us as a hot youth prospect in an EFL Championship academy, shining on loan and getting called up to the Scotland U21s. He has since had an unsuccessful move to Ross County, got banned for eight games, been injured, and dropped down to the SPFL Championship on a free. I can understand why he might not be in the best physical condition. No-one has said it, but I would understand if he wasn't feeling great emotionally or was low in confidence, as well.

People would do well to remember the blog post by David Weatherson about his own battles with injury, anxiety and confidence when he was at Palmy ten years ago.

http://likeaweatherstone.blogspot.com/2018/02/hiding-nerves-and-anxiety-in-football.html?_sm_au_=iVVTBQsrdd3QFtdV34kv8KHMJK1v0

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/21/dressing-room-tough-place-depression-anxiety-david-weatherson

It's good that Callum has got militant family members like @baw heid to support him. 😝😂

I think you missed a reply to my information regarding our continuing support when he is playing or not. I replied to that.  Both reasonable I thought.
There was a second comment to my information regarding our continuing support when playing or not playing  Thought both replies were reasonable and informative
I just thought you went a bit OTT, almost defensive. Someone asked if his family still came to watch. I didn't think it was a malicious question with a hidden agenda (if you will) just a query.

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I just thought you went a bit OTT, almost defensive. Someone asked if his family still came to watch. I didn't think it was a malicious question with a hidden agenda (if you will) just a query.

I replied to a question from Bluenortherner who responded "Well said Baw Heid" So no problem there. I thought it was a strange question but never ever malicious. If you think it was OTT you best not read one of my comments after a 14 hour round trip to watch a game. I did suggest AJ should organise Scotrail and Trans Penine as well as he did the team for the Dundee United game at home

I replied to a question from Bluenortherner who responded "Well said Baw Heid" So no problem there. I thought it was a strange question but never ever malicious. If you think it was OTT you best not read one of my comments after a 14 hour round trip to watch a game. I did suggest AJ should organise Scotrail and Trans Penine as well as he did the team for the Dundee United game at home
Only OTT in that you could have said "Yes, they travel when they can". An information overload is maybe better wording [emoji14]

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Only OTT in that you could have said "Yes, they travel when they can". An information overload is maybe better wording emoji14.png

Thank you for that and I'm glad my information overload is "maybe better wording" than your abbreviated suggestion

2 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Can't think of any reason a 21 year old footballer would want to  sabotage their own career by deliberately putting on weight and becoming unfit to play. Semple came to us as a hot youth prospect in an EFL Championship academy, shining on loan and getting called up to the Scotland U21s. He has since had an unsuccessful move to Ross County, got banned for eight games, been injured, and dropped down to the SPFL Championship on a free. I can understand why he might not be in the best physical condition. No-one has said it, but I would understand if he wasn't feeling great emotionally or was low in confidence, as well.

People would do well to remember the blog post by David Weatherson about his own battles with injury, anxiety and confidence when he was at Palmy ten years ago.

http://likeaweatherstone.blogspot.com/2018/02/hiding-nerves-and-anxiety-in-football.html?_sm_au_=iVVTBQsrdd3QFtdV34kv8KHMJK1v0

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/21/dressing-room-tough-place-depression-anxiety-david-weatherson

It's good that Callum has got militant family members like @baw heid to support him. 😝😂

Thanks for that really fine post. Worth remembering  I hope I am more supportive than militant but when it's one of your own??

1 hour ago, Steeplechat said:

I’m making a monthly contribution. If it works well at other clubs then why can’t it work here.

The club needs all the financial help it can get IMO.

I intend to make a monthly standing order/direct debit contribution but haven't looked into ways of setting this up so any info would be much appreciated. I realise this information has  maybe been well covered before now but it's passed me by I'm afraid.