The Queen of the South thread

That's the problem (or point I suppose) of these discussions.  Are you picking the best XI individual players, or the best XI that would work well in a system together.

I tend to lean towards going for the best individual players as in most cases they would work well together with whoever you put alongside them due to them being the best players during that era.  It also allows for the fantasy aspect of these debates "imagine Mark Kerr playing in Dobbie to lay on an assist for peak Derek Lyle, orgasmic" rather than the more unimaginative "Dykes assists Dobbie for the 40th time".

I fully take on board the point that Dobbie plays his best football alongside a battering ram like O'Connor and Dykes and I say this as a big fan of Lyndon Dykes, but he isn't in the top two strikers of the last decade.  That is clearly Dobbie and Lyle with Gavin Reilly in third place.  I'd place Dykes in fourth ahead of Clark.

Who's over thinking? I agree with everything you say there. I picked our best front pairing of the decade in my opinion. Robin can disagree if he wants, that's his prerogative. If you pick a striker in isolation you would take Lyle over Dykes obvioisly. If you want a partner for Dobbie I would take Dykes every time. Same reason I wanted a worker and a playmaker in midfield, not two playmakers.
Well you're over thinking in that post [emoji38]

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I fully take on board the point that Dobbie plays his best football alongside a battering ram like O'Connor and Dykes and I say this as a big fan of Lyndon Dykes, but he isn't in the top two strikers of the last decade.  That is clearly Dobbie and Lyle with Gavin Reilly in third place.  I'd place Dykes in fourth ahead of Clark.

Dobbie

Reilly

Lyle

Clark

Lots of others that probably include Dykes.

Dykes is probably getting a raw deal IMO on being compared to the other strikers being listed,  Lyle,  Reilly,  Clark,  etc,  as he was used in a variety of positions rather than regularly up front in a proper striker pairing as the others were.  Quite often he was wider and deeper than striker as there were certainly a few complaints at times during the past couple of seasons about using Dobbie as a lone striker. 

Calum Semple what has happened to him .

I really thought it was a great signing getting him back but he has really struggled 

Has been unlucky with injury but no excuse for the extra weight he is carrying .

To be a sub and get replaced will either finish him off or hopefully give him the kick up the arse he needs to do extra training and get himself fit .

A bit unsure why asking about who watch Callum is of importance. His Dad and Grand dad get to as many games as possible even if the boys not playing. They  include having been at Greenock, Firhill, Dunfermline as well as many home games as possible including the Dundee United game. Callum has a supporting family who attend as many games as possible and give him support playing or not.  His fitness after some nasty injuries is a concern for us for his well being. I know he is committed to getting back to his fighting levels of performance  Anyone questioning the support of his family should remember its a fair way from Sheffield to grounds in Scotland

17 hours ago, baw heid said:

A bit unsure why asking about who watch Callum is of importance. His Dad and Grand dad get to as many games as possible even if the boys not playing. They  include having been at Greenock, Firhill, Dunfermline as well as many home games as possible including the Dundee United game. Callum has a supporting family who attend as many games as possible and give him support playing or not.  His fitness after some nasty injuries is a concern for us for his well being. I know he is committed to getting back to his fighting levels of performance  Anyone questioning the support of his family should remember its a fair way from Sheffield to grounds in Scotland

If only he had the same commitment in shedding the excess weight! While he is a paid member of the squad and the fans pay their hard earned money supporting the team he can have no grumbles about the criticism he is getting. He's a tremendous defender when fit which is what's making it so frustrating.

2 hours ago, football maniac said:

If only he had the same commitment in shedding the excess weight! While he is a paid member of the squad and the fans pay their hard earned money supporting the team he can have no grumbles about the criticism he is getting. He's a tremendous defender when fit which is what's making it so frustrating.

Just to be clear he is not complaining about criticism and never has. My comment was prompted about another comment regarding his families attendance at games and I hope it answered that. He does have to get match fit there is no doubt of that. I mentioned the nature of the injuries he has had where for long periods you can not do any training except gentle swimming. Callum will play when asked you might wonder why he is selected if he is not fit.  When fully fit he is an asset to the team and I know he is not pissing about but is working hard to get back to his level of performance demanded of the team and the paying fans

4 minutes ago, JessieField said:

I'm sure Semple played for the reserves mid week as well, so that was 2 matches he was involved in. I assume how he played in the reserve match at Motherwell was taken into account before his use on Saturday?

He has played last 2 reserve matches. 

I've just watched the highlights and I think it's a bit much to blame Semple solely for the defeat on Saturday, there's a few others in defence that don't exactly cover themselves in glory. However, once the Palmerston boo-boys get their teeth into a specific player, then he tends to get the blame for everything apparently.

22 hours ago, baw heid said:

Yass. Nothing I love more than when family members of players come onto pie and Bovril. 

Just to be clear he is not complaining about criticism and never has. My comment was prompted about another comment regarding his families attendance at games and I hope it answered that. He does have to get match fit there is no doubt of that. I mentioned the nature of the injuries he has had where for long periods you can not do any training except gentle swimming. Callum will play when asked you might wonder why he is selected if he is not fit.  When fully fit he is an asset to the team and I know he is not pissing about but is working hard to get back to his level of performance demanded of the team and the paying fans

Was there a post deleted? All I saw about his family was someone questioning if they still attended. I didn't see any malice in the question tbh.
I've just watched the highlights and I think it's a bit much to blame Semple solely for the defeat on Saturday, there's a few others in defence that don't exactly cover themselves in glory. However, once the Palmerston boo-boys get their teeth into a specific player, then he tends to get the blame for everything apparently.
I'm not sure anyone has solely blamed Semple for the defeat. It was more to do with losing Kilday, who's been very good alongside Brownlie. Semple just never stepped up to the mark and getting subbed back off is always going to raise questions. He wouldn't have been the reason we lost the game but the fact he clearly wasn't up to standard was a concern.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Was there a post deleted? All I saw about his family was someone questioning if they still attended. I didn't see any malice in the question tbh.
I'm not sure anyone has solely blamed Semple for the defeat. It was more to do with losing Kilday, who's been very good alongside Brownlie. Semple just never stepped up to the mark and getting subbed back off is always going to raise questions. He wouldn't have been the reason we lost the game but the fact he clearly wasn't up to standard was a concern.

Yes, I wondered about that.  The question about family sounded entirely like a genuine inquiry to me, without a hint of criticism, implicit or otherwise.

The defensive response seemed a little strange in the context.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I wondered about that.  The question about family sounded entirely like a genuine inquiry to me, without a hint of criticism, implicit or otherwise.

The defensive response seemed a little strange in the context.

If there has not been a deleted post then it was a really bizarre reply and even more bizarre that he got 3 greenies!

How's Hamilton getting on? Talk of us wanting him back in January since we have 2 strikers, one being Dykes (touted down south for a 7 figure fee move in January) and Lee Miller who is permanently injured and probably away to Falkirk to manage/coach