The Queen of the South thread

4 minutes ago, cooshedder said:

Very modern choices no John O'Neil.?? Steven presley (if loans are allowed) 

Its the team of the decade. John O'Neill hasnt played for us since 2008 and Steven Pressley has never played for us (did you mean Robbie Neilson? Neilson didnt play this decade either though. His loan spell was in 2002).

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The 14/15 side that finished 4th and pushed Rangers so close in the playoffs was

Gk - Zander Clark

Def from - Kevin Holt, Chris Mitchell, Andy Dowie, Mark Durnan, Chris Higgins, Lewis Kidd

Mid from - Ian McShane, Mark Kerr, Mark Millar, Iain Russell, Dan Carmichael, Paul Burns, Stephen McKenna, Michael Paton

Forwards from - Gavin Reilly, Derek Lyle, John Baird, Aidan Smith

I would start with that group and work round it.

3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I noticed that Dumbarton are currently voting for their team of the decade on Twitter, so thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks ours is.

I'd go

Robinson

McGuffie Higgins Dowie

Carmichael McShane McKenna Burns Holt

Dobbie Lyle

I really struggled to think of a left midfielder, so changed the formation to 3-5-2 and included an extra centre mid.

I look forward to being told how wrong I am.

You're wrong

HTH :) 

Anyone not including John Baird and Mark Kerr is simply lying to themselves.

Mark Kerr would probably make mine tbh. He was a class act in the middle for us.

Baird was as effective for us as he is against us. Utterly hopeless wee arse who clearly thought he was better than he really was.

I am really torn at goalkeeper. I think McCrorie is potentially the best of the lot but 15 games or so probably isnt enough. Robinson was brilliant for a year but his return spell was nowhere near as good. For consistency over two seasons I will stick with Clark but its close.

I think:

--------------------Z Clark------------------

C Mitchell---A Dowie---C Higgins---K Holt

D Carmichael---I McShane---S McKenna---I Russell

--------L Dykes----------S Dobbie---------

Some of that will be contentious. Dowie a stick on at centre half for me. Higgins wasnt brilliant but I went for him over Durnan as he was naturally left sided and a great Captain. Holt beats out Marshall at left back. Chris Mitchell wasnt a great defender but as an attacking full back with that set piece delivery I couldnt leave him out.

McShane first name in midfield for me as a playmaker. Partner was hard but in the end the mobile, hard as nails, and underrated Stephen McKenna for me. As much as I love Paul Burns he played some of his better stuff wide and was better in his first spell before this decade.  Tempted by Joe Thomson too but loan player and maybe not here long enough to really consider. Like 19QOS19 I rated Mark Kerr highly too but it ended sourly and he is too similar to McShane. The playmaker needs an engine beside him. Thats MKenna. Iain Russell on the left provided a wide goal threat and an infectious enthusiasm. Dan Carmichael just beats out Burns on the right. 

Dobbie is clearly a given. He has always done better beside a big physical striker and his partnership with Dykes last season yielded almost 60 goals. Dykes also gives workrate and a defensive aspect at set pieces. Derek Lyle really unlucky to miss out. Gavin Reilly too. We have had some great strikers this decade.

27 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

I am surprised Nicky Clark hasn’t had a shout so far. For me, his goals in the title winning season merit a place in the discussion, if not the final 11.

Perhaps a place on the bench?

I knew I would miss someone obvious! 

He wouldnt get in ahead of Dobbie or Dykes for me, and he really only had one season (he was here two but played most of his games in the 1st season in midfield) but he should at least have had an honourable mention.

All a matter of opinion but I cannot see anyway that Derek Lyle wouldn’t be as close to an automatic pick ahead of Lyndon Dykes as I can think of. Not only was he a permanent fixture in the double winning team and played a huge part in the squads that qualified for two play offs............. just think about the number of goals he consistently delivered for us in “big games”. Some of them were finishes out of the “top drawer”.Technically he was an excellent hold up striker who linked the play and created chances for others.

Contrast that with Lyndon who barely scored for us while playing every week and despite all the endeavour and hard work he displayed we finished second bottom in a poor league and survived by the skin of our teeth.

An academic debate but if Lyle not worthy of a place in the “decade” select based on achievement and his personal contribution “the games a bogey”.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

All a matter of opinion but I cannot see anyway that Derek Lyle wouldn’t be as close to an automatic pick ahead of Lyndon Dykes as I can think of. Not only was he a permanent fixture in the double winning team.

He really wasnt. He played about half the games, sharing game time as Nicky Clark's partner with Gavin Reilly. He came into his own the following 2 or 3 years after Clark left and he became a first pick, peaking in the Rangers season probably.

26 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye a lot of over-thinking going on here. Lyle and Dobbie would probably the front two but Dobbie and Dykes were a better partnership. If we are talking best players then Lyle is in there alongside Dobbie.

Who's over thinking? I agree with everything you say there. I picked our best front pairing of the decade in my opinion. Robin can disagree if he wants, that's his prerogative. If you pick a striker in isolation you would take Lyle over Dykes obvioisly. If you want a partner for Dobbie I would take Dykes every time. Same reason I wanted a worker and a playmaker in midfield, not two playmakers.