The Queen of the South thread

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Steady.

Yesterday was great, but posts like this just remind me of some we read in January.

The thing is though we arent so reliant on one player this time. Also a few injuries last season and wed be buggered but this season there are guys on the bench who can contribute.

2 minutes ago, football maniac said:

The thing is though we arent so reliant on one player this time. Also a few injuries last season and wed be buggered but this season there are guys on the bench who can contribute.

In January, there was also a feeling that we'd recruited really well and were set for a great run in, following a couple of excellent performances.  

Nobody needs a reminder of what followed.  

This.
No idea if it was handball or not but it certainly wasnt over the line.

Holt also appeared to be complaining that the defender had wrestled him on his way to the ball.

I certainly didn’t expect that on my way down the road yesterday. A great performance from everyone. I don’t think we are playing particularly good football but we scrapped and harried brilliantly.

After a torrid first ten minutes where it looked like McMullan was going to run riot the defence settled well. The back three were superb. McCrorie looks so steady and Brownlie has always had the attributes to be a good defender and he seems to have improved his concentration. Also pleasing to see the beginning of a relationship between Hamilton and Dobbie with El Bakhtaoui looking like he can play a good supporting role coming in off the wing.

Night and day from my last game at Clyde.

15 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Possibly confusing Hamilton with Brownlie for the assist to Dobbie for the first goal. They look similar from a distance. 

Yes, I'd actually thought it was Hamilton's header across goal, before I got home to learn it was Brownlie.

20 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:
Said it before, and have done for weeks. In his whole career Dobbie has been at his best when played off a battering ram of a striker to bully centre halves and clear space. First O'Connor, then Dykes, now Hamilton. Young Jack is nowhere near the level of Sean and Lyndon yet but he puts in a hell of a shift and competes for everything.
When Dobbie plays with clever technical players as a partner like Lyle, El Bakhtaoui or Oliver it sometimes comes off and looks great (Dobbie and Lyle destroying St Mirren away stands out) but generally he does better playing off a big man. The formation we have now is working at the moment  with Fais playing as a winger (lets see how long it takes clubs to work out how to deal with it).

This.

I recently watched the YouTube video of his early goals and you can see he thrived on the chaos O’Connor created, his anticipation, calmness and ability to just delay a fraction of a second longer than you thought possible make him particularly effective when the defence has been bashed out of position.

I actually think him and Dykes had a really good understanding and some great interplay but undoubtedly he played the battering ram role as well.

Edited by TeeMan

Great result but my MOTM would be the manager. How he has got the team playing is astonishing  Playing McMullan out of the game was a big reason for the result. Just wish AJ would organise Scotrail and TP Exp as well  Cant wait for next weeks game and we will not underestimate a fine part time team. 2-0 would be a good result.  As an aside Dobbie's second goal was from a man back to form

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Hamilton put himself about really well yesterday and hopefully him and Dobbie can build a good partnership. I'd like to see him winning more headers but I can't fault his effort.

This. His effort is quality but he jumps as if he's expecting to whack his head of something above him. 

2 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Have I missed the official announcement of Wullie Gibson taking over from Eddie Warwick at Palmerston? Heard he was in charge of reserves today v Kilmarnock.... 

Nope, there has been no official announcement. He is working on an interim basis while we await formal approval for his appointment.

19 minutes ago, trotsky27 said:

Funny how his first game in charge we draw with an spl side unlike ew could manage

I doubt it's unconnected to the fact Lyon, Semple, Osman, McCarthy, Murray & Oliver all played. It's a much more experienced squad than the typically teenage line up we usually put out at Reserve level. Although Dom Thomas, Iain Wilson and Simeon Jackson all played for Killie, we actually had the more experienced line up by the looks of it. It's ultimately up to the 1st team manager how many experienced fringe first teamers he's prepared to release for Reserve games.

I think Wullie Gibson will do an excellent job when and if he is eventually confirmed in the role but I don't think getting a draw at Kilmarnock yesterday proves anything at all.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I doubt it's unconnected to the fact Lyon, Semple, Osman, McCarthy, Murray & Oliver all played. It's a much more experienced squad than the typically teenage line up we usually put out at Reserve level. Although Dom Thomas, Iain Wilson and Simeon Jackson all played for Killie, we actually had the more experienced line up by the looks of it. It's ultimately up to the 1st team manager how many experienced fringe first teamers he's prepared to release for Reserve games.

I think Wullie Gibson will do an excellent job when and if he is eventually confirmed in the role but I don't think getting a draw at Kilmarnock yesterday proves anything at all.

Of course it’s connected to the first team players Queens had out. 

Worth seriously looking at the Kilmarnock team. Far more experienced than our side. Jackson alone has nearly 500 appearances. 

Semple, Murray and McCarthy are certainly not what I would call experienced.