The Queen of the South thread

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

Maybe shows it was a good team performance - I thought Pybus was mom.

I thought it was El Bakhtaoui by quite a considerable distance.  Everything good we did came through him and he was a constant threat.  I assumed it was going to be Dobbie that was awarded it as it usually is, so was quite surprised it was Brownlie.  Not to take anything away from him, but he just did Darren Brownlie stuff I don't think he was especially great.

Behave!

He is phenomenal in the air and has me rubbing my hands with glee any time opponents play a route one style against us.

He is lacking in several other areas though.
I thought it was El Bakhtaoui by quite a considerable distance.  Everything good we did came through him and he was a constant threat.  I assumed it was going to be Dobbie that was awarded it as it usually is, so was quite surprised it was Brownlie.  Not to take anything away from him, but he just did Darren Brownlie stuff I don't think he was especially great.
If you didn't think he was MotM worthy today then there isn't really much point in me responding to your first message as we would be here all day not agreeing [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Darren Brownlie stuff is pretty much what today demanded though, and he made a good job of it.

Like you, I was surprised it wasn't Dobbie, given that it tends to be anyway as the sponsors have usually heard of him, even when he doesn't score twice.  

The fact that there were several candidates today was great.  The winner during 2019 has often been the least conspicuously awful.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

If you didn't think he was MotM worthy today then there isn't really much point in me responding to your first message as we would be here all day not agreeing emoji38.png

I'm a fan of Brownlie and in the main always have been I think.  The defence has undoubtedly improved this season by him featuring.  I just don't think he did anything particularly out of the ordinary today to deserve MotM.  If I was giving it to any of our defenders it would have been Holt.  Maybe Brownlie is a victim of his own success and has the bar set quite highly in my eyes that I just expect it from him?  They all played well so I'm not really wanting to labour too much on this point.

I realised after I posted that by "bigger club" you could of course mean a divisional rival such as Partick or Dundee in which case you may be right there may be suitors sniffing around.  I don't see him as a Premiership player though I'm afraid.  Not even close.

I'm a fan of Brownlie and in the main always have been I think.  The defence has undoubtedly improved this season by him featuring.  I just don't think he did anything particularly out of the ordinary today to deserve MotM.  If I was giving it to any of our defenders it would have been Holt.  Maybe Brownlie is a victim of his own success and has the bar set quite highly in my eyes that I just expect it from him?  They all played well so I'm not really wanting to labour too much on this point.
I realised after I posted that by "bigger club" you could of course mean a divisional rival such as Partick or Dundee in which case you may be right there may be suitors sniffing around.  I don't see him as a Premiership player though I'm afraid.  Not even close.
Yeah you're right about my "bigger club" comment. I wasn't thinking a division above per se, just a bigger club than us. It's his maturity that's impressed me. Every single game without fail over the past few seasons he would give away a completely needless foul that would put us under pressure. I really can't recall him doing that this season.

Didn’t rate him, questioned resigning him. But him and Kilday are superb together at the moment, long may it continue. I’d give him MoM last 2 games. Like someone said there’s a maturity there now.

Some buzz after today, next 4 are huge, we need to do some damage

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And Holt, who could have had a hat trick and was rock solid at the back too.

Michael Paton easily had his best game for us never seen him do so much running was like a box to box midfielder normally he would be to lazy to follow up El Bak shot but there he was to score a deserved goal.

What a joy it was to watch Queens today if only we could do that every week  I managed it a negative end to my post !!!

Well if the only thing we have to argue about is which of the many possibilities could have been MoM, I’m happy. I personally would have went El Bakhtouia, but Holt, Hamilton, either central defender or indeed Dobbs could have been.

Small word of caution from a supporter of many years. I remember Ross County being similarly trounced in January, we then went on a downward spiral that nearly got us relegated. We need to keep it going, starting with Alloa next week, we really need to get a result against our ‘bogey’ team.

How close was the chance late first half to being a goal - lots of players appealing that ball had crossed the line
Think they were appealing the Utd player had kept it out with their hand. Dobbie certainly was.

Thought Prybus was great. Just breaking things up and generally being a nuisance in the middle of the park. Comfortably, also, Holt's best game, up and down the wing and getting stuck in.

That was an absolute joy yesterday. Played some really good football and defended brilliantly. Big Hamilton was good too. Doing everything that was needed. He's come on to a game as has Dobbie. I think there's a link there. Long may that continue.

May even head to Alloa next Saturday.

I got laughed at for saying Kidd was very underrated a wee while back. I've got to say after being initially sceptical magics signings are starting to look tremendous. El Bakh is starting to look like the player who Dunfermline fans raved about in his first spell there. I've never in my time saw a player at us with better close control. Now he's linking up with the Dobster it's hard to think of a more threatening attacking force in the league. Hamilton has turned out to be really useful too. Since he's been in, the Dobster has really improved so long may that continue. Kilday lots including me were abit meh. Punted by Morton, I automatically wasn't very enthusiastic about his signing but he is a great sweeper behind Brownlies tremendous enthusiasm for going for everything. Mccrorie for me has been our best signing. So commanding and an outstanding shot stopper. I feel he will be McGregor's long term successor at rangers he's that good. Pybus has for me been a step up from Jacobs too. He has the same enthusiasm and his passing is improving by the game. Holt obviously too. He's getting back to his old self which means best lb in the league material. Really not many bad signings on a low budget. You look at the bench and see Oliver, Murray, Osman, Semple and the versatile Lyon and feel we have options to look to should the need arise unlike last season. There were no youngsters there just to make up the numbers, whereas last season the bench was full of them. With what looks like one of the best defences in the league, and with the strike force starting to click I am suddenly getting sucked into that rare feeling of feeling positive! Uh oh.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
10 hours ago, queenslad said:
How close was the chance late first half to being a goal - lots of players appealing that ball had crossed the line

Think they were appealing the Utd player had kept it out with their hand. Dobbie certainly was.

This.

No idea if it was handball or not but it certainly wasnt over the line.

21 minutes ago, football maniac said:

I got laughed at for saying Kidd was very underrated a wee while back. I've got to say after being initially sceptical magics signings are starting to look tremendous. El Bakh is starting to look like the player who Dunfermline fans raved about in his first spell there. I've never in my time saw a player at us with better close control. Now he's linking up with the Dobster it's hard to think of a more threatening attacking force in the league. Hamilton has turned out to be really useful too. Since he's been in, the Dobster has really improved so long may that continue. Kilday lots including me were abit meh. Punted by Morton, I automatically wasn't very enthusiastic about his signing but he is a great sweeper behind Brownlies tremendous enthusiasm for going for everything. Mccrorie for me has been our best signing. So commanding and an outstanding shot stopper. I feel he will be McGregor's long term successor at rangers he's that good. Pybus has for me been a step up from Jacobs too. He has the same enthusiasm and his passing is improving by the game. Holt obviously too. He's getting back to his old self which means best lb in the league material. Really not many bad signings on a low budget. You look at the bench and see Oliver, Murray, Osman, Semple and the versatile Lyon and feel we have options to look to should the need arise unlike last season. There were no youngsters there just to make up the numbers, whereas last season the bench was full of them. With what looks like one of the best defences in the league, and with the strike force starting to click I am suddenly getting sucked into that rare feeling of feeling positive! Uh oh.

Steady.

Yesterday was great, but posts like this just remind me of some we read in January.

12 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Jack Hamilton was getting slagged by a certain few some weeks ago. Thought he was great yesterday, and provided an assist also. 

Said it before, and have done for weeks. In his whole career Dobbie has been at his best when played off a battering ram of a striker to bully centre halves and clear space. First O'Connor, then Dykes, now Hamilton. Young Jack is nowhere near the level of Sean and Lyndon yet but he puts in a hell of a shift and competes for everything.

When Dobbie plays with clever technical players as a partner like Lyle, El Bakhtaoui or Oliver it sometimes comes off and looks great (Dobbie and Lyle destroying St Mirren away stands out) but generally he does better playing off a big man. The formation we have now is working at the moment  with Fais playing as a winger (lets see how long it takes clubs to work out how to deal with it).

Edited by Skyline Drifter