The Queen of the South thread

17 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Dobbie seems to be a shadow of the player he was for you guys last season. Is it coincidence that Dykes not being there this season is resulting in Dobbie’s lack of goals? 

The absence of Dykes is absolutely a factor. Dobbie also had an early season injury which won't have helped and he currently looks low on confidence.

We're missing the silky passing of Ky Jacobs most of all though. :lol:

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Well I'm not sure I'd particularly bracket Todd as a 'midfielder' but yes, if you want to do so then I would probably agree. I'd be comparing him to El Bakhtaoui though, not Kidd or Paton or Pybus. Suggesting 2 of last year's 4 are better than this year's midfielders though does NOT suggest I think last year's was better. I haven't actually said it wasn't better, just that it wasn't significantly so, and absolutely isn't the main or even secondary reason Dobbie isn't scoring as you seem so keen to attribute that to entirely. Dobbie is the biggest single reason Dobbie isn't scoring. The lack of Dykes is the secondary reason. Anything at all to do with our midfield is a much lesser part.
Dobbie missed several sitters at Clyde, apparently missed a really good chance with Fox out of position yesterday, a free header against Dundee, Other chances against Morton. El Bakhtaoui was clean through on Doohan at Ayr with only Dobbie for company and hit straight at him. I assume that's the one you refer to. They are missing plenty of chances. Quoting stats of shots on target misses the point. The point is they are NOT hitting the target and when they do it's usually straight at the keeper. The way you go on they've had no opportunities. I don't think anyone other than you actually IS praising the midfield for keeping teams out incidentally. First time I've seen anyone give any credit to the midfield was you in that post.
I'll give credit where it's due. I've been critical of the midfield (if you can believe that) because of our lack of creativity but the side is clearly doing something right at the back to keep the goals out. That's not entirely down to the defence (the same way us not scoring isn't entirely down to the strikers) and the midfield deserve credit for it as well. I can't go on and on about the midfield and not give them due credit for that side of things.

45 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
48 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

I listened to a Livi podcast the other day and he said he'd choose Australia if he had to pick. I expect BBC have edited it in such a way.

Does anybody else find the idea of Lyndon Dykes being an international footballer, for either country, utterly preposterous?

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Does anybody else find the idea of Lyndon Dykes being an international footballer, for either country, utterly preposterous?

Two years ago yes, now not at all. From what I've seen his game has improved another notch from last season. 

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In reality it's more of a reflection on how shit Scotland are than anything else. 

In addition he's played well against both the arse cheeks in recent times so our pundits will inevitably big him up.

I really like Dykes but current talk is at least somewhat premature.

Bearing in mind that Dobbie scored 1 goal in 13 games last season that wasn’t a penalty when neither Harkins or Low was playing, I think it is fair to say that the lack of a creative player in the centre of midfield is one of the reasons for his lack of goals this season. Not having Dykes is also a reason, as is his recovery from injury. But to suggest the midfield is only a minor reason is wrong, imo.

Whilst it is great to have the best defensive record, we also have the worst scoring record. At this stage last season we had scored 16 league goals. As it stands, we are about on schedule to score 16 goals in the entire season. Pointing to one or two misses that Dobbie and the others have had is a bit daft. No striker in the world has a conversion rate of 100%. Imo, we will need to start creating a lot more chances before the goals scored total will start to creep up. It is possible that this might happen with creativity mainly in the wide areas. But it is equally possible that the goal scoring will continue broadly as it has done in the latter part of last season and in the first quarter of this.

Thought we showed something upfront with young Hamilton yesterday. He was causing the type of problems Dykes was 18months ago. Is it coincidence that when he went off Queens never looked like scoring. The last 15mins were woeful from an attacking point of view. Defensively they had good shape but we continually cleared the ball back to Patrick 40 yards out. Last 5 mins had a couple of chances to  run the clock down by running into the corners but they didn't, sure someone crossed from left into middle when we had no one in the box, only for their keeper to start another attack. Also our keeper launched ball deep into Patrick half when surely at that stage centre halves and full backs should have been going wide to receive the ball.

I don't think I was only supporter waiting on the final whistle through closed eyes

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No, not particularly. Or at least I don't, I acknowledge as the marnite player he is there will be plenty who do, and you've made it clear already you're not a fan. I've been predicting his inclusion for Australia once he got regular play in the Premiership for a while. He's got all the physical attributes to make that transition. He's added a few goals now. It never really occured to me he'd consider Scotland. Although eligible he's always been pretty clear in considering himself as Australian. The BBC piece is interesting. I wonder if he'd turn it down if approached by Scotland first?

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

In reality it's more of a reflection on how shit Scotland are than anything else. 

In addition he's played well against both the arse cheeks in recent times so our pundits will inevitably big him up.

I really like Dykes but current talk is at least somewhat premature.

True, it's a reflection on the lack of options up front for Scotland for sure. And you're absolutely right that playing well against both halves of the Old Firm on tv is a massive reason for it. It's probably also far too soon for shouts of a Scotland call up, though if the likes of Eamon Brophy, who hardly set the heather on fire at this level, can get a call up and competitive games, it's not that big a reach. Brophy though served an apprenticeship scoring goals for a year or so in the Premiership first. It should be noted however that in terms of direct rivals we are comparing him to the likes of Oli McBurnie who is playing every week in the Premiership down South yet apparently not good enough for Scotland and Steven Fletcher who is playing and scoring regularly in the Championship for Sheffield Wednesday. Is he at that level yet? Probably not. I doubt he's significantly below it though.

52 minutes ago, Flash said:

Bearing in mind that Dobbie scored 1 goal in 13 games last season that wasn’t a penalty when neither Harkins or Low was playing, I think it is fair to say that the lack of a creative player in the centre of midfield is one of the reasons for his lack of goals this season. Not having Dykes is also a reason, as is his recovery from injury. But to suggest the midfield is only a minor reason is wrong, imo.

Whilst it is great to have the best defensive record, we also have the worst scoring record. At this stage last season we had scored 16 league goals. As it stands, we are about on schedule to score 16 goals in the entire season. Pointing to one or two misses that Dobbie and the others have had is a bit daft. No striker in the world has a conversion rate of 100%. Imo, we will need to start creating a lot more chances before the goals scored total will start to creep up. It is possible that this might happen with creativity mainly in the wide areas. But it is equally possible that the goal scoring will continue broadly as it has done in the latter part of last season and in the first quarter of this.

You're perfectly entitled to believe the midfield is a bigger reason than I do if you like. So is 19QOS19. It's certainly not the ONLY reason though, as you've acknowledged yourself but 19QOS19 has not.

Dobbie didn't have a 100% conversion rate last season either of course.  Fact is he's missing, and mis-hitting, chances he was snapping up last season. Personally I don't think there's anything more sinister in that than he's going through a wee barren spell. His career record has always shown him to have such spells. They don't usually last more than 4 or 5 games. This one has gone 6 League games now (and the Clyde cup game notwithstanding he scored a penalty in it). Hopefully he's due a change of fortune shortly. Dundee United would be an ideal time for that to change!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

You're perfectly entitled to believe the midfield is a bigger reason than I do if you like. So is 19QOS19. It's certainly not the ONLY reason though, as you've acknowledged yourself but 19QOS19 has not.
Dobbie didn't have a 100% conversion rate last season either of course.  Fact is he's missing, and mis-hitting, chances he was snapping up last season. Personally I don't think there's anything more sinister in that than he's going through a wee barren spell. His career record has always shown him to have such spells. They don't usually last more than 4 or 5 games. This one has gone 6 League games now (and the Clyde cup game notwithstanding he scored a penalty in it). Hopefully he's due a change of fortune shortly. Dundee United would be an ideal time for that to change!
I'm not sure I've ever said the midfield is the ONLY reason Dobbie isn't scoring. "Main" reason certainly, but not "only".

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No, not particularly. Or at least I don't, I acknowledge as the marnite player he is there will be plenty who do, and you've made it clear already you're not a fan. I've been predicting his inclusion for Australia once he got regular play in the Premiership for a while. He's got all the physical attributes to make that transition. He's added a few goals now. It never really occured to me he'd consider Scotland. Although eligible he's always been pretty clear in considering himself as Australian. The BBC piece is interesting. I wonder if he'd turn it down if approached by Scotland first?

True, it's a reflection on the lack of options up front for Scotland for sure. And you're absolutely right that playing well against both halves of the Old Firm on tv is a massive reason for it. It's probably also far too soon for shouts of a Scotland call up, though if the likes of Eamon Brophy, who hardly set the heather on fire at this level, can get a call up and competitive games, it's not that big a reach. Brophy though served an apprenticeship scoring goals for a year or so in the Premiership first. It should be noted however that in terms of direct rivals we are comparing him to the likes of Oli McBurnie who is playing every week in the Premiership down South yet apparently not good enough for Scotland and Steven Fletcher who is playing and scoring regularly in the Championship for Sheffield Wednesday. Is he at that level yet? Probably not. I doubt he's significantly below it though.

Do we have a sell on fee as part of the Dykes deal .

The way he is going he will get his big move away from Livi  before his 3 year contract runs out of all the players who left last season Dykes is the biggest miss wonder how many of the Dobbie goals he set up Dobbie this season is feeding off scraps having to make his own chances which just now he is missing 

42 minutes ago, JessieField said:

In a side issue, I notice the bottom team of Division 2 is Stirling Albion. Anybody else remember when they used to call Queens "a pub team"? Also, are they not "run" by a Supporters Trust?  Apparently not always a recipe for success then, is it?

That's unfair on Stirling Albion. It was a specific player who who referred to us as a pub team.

It’s widely accepted that Jacobs is a brilliant protector of the back 4, but lacks any real distribution.
Jacobs played every league game last season (I think), and we conceding an average of 1.33 goals per league game. Without Jacobs, we’re conceding an average of 0.75 per league game.

Stats would suggest that Jacobs isn’t that much of a miss.

9 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

It’s widely accepted that Jacobs is a brilliant protector of the back 4, but lacks any real distribution.
Jacobs played every league game last season (I think), and we conceding an average of 1.33 goals per league game. Without Jacobs, we’re conceding an average of 0.75 per league game.

Stats would suggest that Jacobs isn’t that much of a miss.

Or it's just possible we have a better back 4 and certainly a significantly better goalkeeper.

For me the step up from Martin to McCrorie is massive both in terms of ability as a keeper and in the confidence he must give the back 4.

Or it's just possible we have a better back 4 and certainly a significantly better goalkeeper.
For me the step up from Martin to McCrorie is massive both in terms of ability as a keeper and in the confidence he must give the back 4.

McCrorie is a step up, yes. Brownlie has improved massively as well. Mikey Doyle? I think everyone was gutted when he left, is Lee Kilday really a step-up? Defensively, Holt and Marshall are probably similar, offensively I’d have Holt any day. Mercer is Mercer, 6-7/10 every game.

I think Kidd gets a hard time of it. Wasn’t thrilled when we signed him, but he was good vs Dundee and brilliant against Thistle. Bare in mind his CM partner in these games has been the immobile Michael Paton. Probably Paton’s best game for us at Firhill since returning, and he probably our worst player!

7 hours ago, JessieField said:

In a side issue, I notice the bottom team of Division 2 is Stirling Albion. Anybody else remember when they used to call Queens "a pub team"? Also, are they not "run" by a Supporters Trust?  Apparently not always a recipe for success then, is it?

I don't recall ever seeing anyone suggest on here that having a Supporters Trust run a club is always a recipe for success.

In fact I don't remember anyone ever suggesting anything remotely like that.

One of the midfields biggest critics and mainly Lewis kidds but he was good against Dundee and I thought he was very good Saturday. Hopefully the penny has dropped with him. As for midfield on whole, thought they done reasonably well last two as well, don’t think Paton is the answer but he’s done little wrong, if he’s going to play needs to be there and not out wide. Only complaint is they seemed to run out legs after 60/70 mins, think it coincided with going one upfront but Hamilton was struggling also.

If I was seeing a game out, I think I’d hook el bakh much as I like him, he’s no much upstairs when it comes to running down the clock.

A lot to be more positive about, after last two games. Just hope we can keep it up now.