The Queen of the South thread

Surely you must have seen the numerous chances Queens had to score in second half thru Hamilton, Dobbie, Faiss, Holt & Paton.. Don't think AJ wanted to upset the formation when they were creating chances, Hamiltons back pass of a header when he could have chested then burst the net was the pick of them. 
Half chances at best. The only time in the second where I got off my seat was when Mercer broke through and cut it back but we failed to make it count. Fais coming the closest with a shot cleared off the line. A tame Hamilton header and a couple of chances hit wide were hardly worth noting for me.

We hardly bombarded the Dundee defence and that was as close as we came to "having a spell on top". Murray should have been on for Paton early in to the second half.

I'm fine with how we did tonight. 

It's a decent point after a fairly ropey start to the season. We defended reasonably well  albeit the goal we lost was disappointing.

For all he didn't score and missed a very decent chance I thought Dobbie looked much sharper than of late.

More positives than negatives for me tonight.

I don’t get to see many games and given the comments on here re previous games, I really feared the worst for last night.

I was pleasantly surprised! The defence looked fairly solid, Kilday looks a no nonesense centre half. Holt and Mercer looked good, McCrorie excellent. Midfield could do with a Steve Tosh/Neil McFarlane combo and maybe another winger. Forwards looked good, Dobbie coming back to form/fitness and Hamilton gaining gaining confidence.

I would suggest that’s a positive result, neither team deserved the win. We could even have taken all three points with a bit more luck towards the end.

Onwards and upwards!

7 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I'm fine with how we did tonight. 

It's a decent point after a fairly ropey start to the season. We defended reasonably well  albeit the goal we lost was disappointing.

For all he didn't score and missed a very decent chance I thought Dobbie looked much sharper than of late.

More positives than negatives for me tonight.

This for me too. It’s a slight improvement on recent games. 

Thought that was better last night. Some good pace, Dobbie was right up for it and the keeper played well. El Bakhtaoui was excellent, too. 

Still the midfield is diabolical and am not convinced Jack Hamilton can do the Lyndon Dykes role, I didn't see him winning too many headers... 

17 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
19 hours ago, Fae_the_ said:
Phew!!!  Glad to hear that. He plays in  positions  we don't really need any more players for. 

I'd have him before Paton.

I'd have you before Paton and I don't even know who you are, let alone if you can play. 

50 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Thought that was better last night. Some good pace, Dobbie was right up for it and the keeper played well. El Bakhtaoui was excellent, too. 

Still the midfield is diabolical and am not convinced Jack Hamilton can do the Lyndon Dykes role, I didn't see him winning too many headers... 

lolwut?

I don’t get to see many games and given the comments on here re previous games, I really feared the worst for last night.

I was pleasantly surprised! The defence looked fairly solid, Kilday looks a no nonesense centre half. Holt and Mercer looked good, McCrorie excellent. Midfield could do with a Steve Tosh/Neil McFarlane combo and maybe another winger. Forwards looked good, Dobbie coming back to form/fitness and Hamilton gaining gaining confidence.

I would suggest that’s a positive result, neither team deserved the win. We could even have taken all three points with a bit more luck towards the end.

Onwards and upwards!

On the subject of Kilday I think he is the least of our worries. He doesn’t seem to be pleasing all but without him we would be really struggling. He looks a decent enough centre back (given our budgetary constraints)and with Semple seldom fit to play we had better hope that messrs Brownlie and Kilday stay fit.

I thought the widespread criticism of last nights
performance was harsh. First half we played some good stuff and while we lived dangerously at times at the back and relied on McCrorie we thoroughly deserved our point.

The keeper and back 4 look solid and we have some attacking options alongside Dobbie. We have scored a major own goal by not recruiting a decent midfielder and a wide player.

We unquestionably have a lack of quality and will probably do well to avoid the bottom two but last night had more positives than negatives.

On 28/09/2019 at 11:05, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Jack Hamilton easily played his best game but he is a Dykes of maybe 5 years ago really raw and has a lot to learn.

Has to be more aggressive for me he does not put himself about enough .

We really need midfield players Paton Kidd McCarthy and now Lyon are not good enough looks like AJ had signed quantity rather than quality.

I don't think we have either of those things tbh.

Not in midfield, I’d say we’re as strong or stronger defensively as last year. Don’t think our options upfront are awful either, just we’ve been working with a half fit Dobbie. Midfield is totally agree, definitely have quantity in middle of midfield but no quality.

As said before we could do with a centre mid and a winger, keep in touching distance till January and hopefully do a bit of wheeling a dealing. Quite clear Mccarthy isn’t in his plans, for one.

42 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Not in midfield, I’d say we’re as strong or stronger defensively as last year. Don’t think our options upfront are awful either, just we’ve been working with a half fit Dobbie. Midfield is totally agree, definitely have quantity in middle of midfield but no quality.

As said before we could do with a centre mid and a winger, keep in touching distance till January and hopefully do a bit of wheeling a dealing. Quite clear Mccarthy isn’t in his plans, for one.

We are supposed to be talking to Daniel Armstrong a wide player but like the Harry Cochrane talks the longer it goes on he will go elsewhere .

We still have 2 loans to use in Jan can't believe we did not use them before the summer transfer window closed 

20 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Jack Hamilton easily played his best game but he is a Dykes of maybe 5 years ago really raw and has a lot to learn.

Has to be more aggressive for me he does not put himself about enough .

We really need midfield players Paton Kidd McCarthy and now Lyon are not good enough looks like AJ had signed quantity rather than quality.

What kind of player was Dykes like 5 years ago? did you see many of his games back in Australia then?

Thought Hamilton played well put in a good shift and got his goal he is still a young boy so obviously isnt the finished article yet but there is a player in there

First home game missed this season but thought we done well, Holts best game for us so far defence looked pretty solid aswell

We badly need centre midfielders and a winger, I Thought the game crying out for Oliver or Murray to run at there full backs.

What kind of player was Dykes like 5 years ago? did you see many of his games back in Australia then?
Thought Hamilton played well put in a good shift and got his goal he is still a young boy so obviously isnt the finished article yet but there is a player in there
First home game missed this season but thought we done well, Holts best game for us so far defence looked pretty solid aswell
We badly need centre midfielders and a winger, I Thought the game crying out for Oliver or Murray to run at there full backs.
The last part of your post is why I came away absolutely fizzing. It was there for us and Murray on for Paton and Oliver for Hamilton or El Bak could have swung it for us. But AJ stuck with what he had. It screamed of negativity for me in a winnable game.

If it's true that they weren't fit to feature then fair enough but I don't know why they were benched if that was the case.

On 27/09/2019 at 22:22, 19QOS19 said:

That's because Dundee were a title contender at the start of the season. The same way Partick were but at this moment in time I'd be wanting 3 points at home to them just now.

A point is better than nothing but AJ made no attempt to go for the win tonight. Only one manager made positive changes, whereas we stuck with what was on the pitch which barely threatened in the second half. If Dundee had looked even decent then I'd concede a point was a hard earned result but they were as spineless as us. That's a game where we should have been 'going for the kill' but instead we shit the bed and were content with a point. You'll forgive me for not jumping for joy with a point at home.

FWIW I thought McCrorie was our MOTM again. A couple of saves keeping us in the game.

Dundee title contenders maybe cos they've just came down and are a supposed big club but this is the championship wwhere that counts for nothing. Partick title contenders on last year's effort 

1 thing from Friday night we are not great but we're maybe not as far from the other dross in this division as we think usual championship year ahead I think