The Queen of the South thread

Just checked the appointments for the Dundee game over on the SFA site.  I note our game against Morton on 14/09 was played at Palmerston Park, but tomorrow night's fixture will be at the Queen of the South Arena.  Is that a wee admin error or is it a telly pilot for the reinstatement of the old Tennents' Sixes...?

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/referees/referee-appointments/

2 hours ago, BigRubberFist said:

Just checked the appointments for the Dundee game over on the SFA site.  I note our game against Morton on 14/09 was played at Palmerston Park, but tomorrow night's fixture will be at the Queen of the South Arena.  Is that a wee admin error or is it a telly pilot for the reinstatement of the old Tennents' Sixes...?

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/referees/referee-appointments/

It's a venue that could probably cope with the crowd.

Marmite to Queens fans,  he maybe won a few more fans over with his displays last season but some will never be convinced he was a player at all.  He was pretty dire the season before imo but seemed to buck up his ideas and attitude. A lack of goals for us maybe didn't help him but he certainly did the hard work in a lot of instances that enabled  Dobbie get to his total. The role he's playing at Livingston seems to suit him better and he's showing he can score goals if used properly. Glad the move seems to have worked out for him. 

Dykes did well for us last season but he was deployed as a number 10 and very often told to drift far too deep to be fully effective.

For me a complete waste of a player who should have been playing on “shoulder of last defender”. It hasn’t taken Gary Holt long to realise that and they are seeing the benefit of playing him in his natural position.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing last season - Dykes spending most of his time marking the opposing holding midfielder???

Even when we get a progressive player on our hands we somehow manage to limit his effectiveness. You couldn’t make it up.

25 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Dykes did well for us last season but he was deployed as a number 10 and very often told to drift far too deep to be fully effective.

For me a complete waste of a player who should have been playing on “shoulder of last defender”. It hasn’t taken Gary Holt long to realise that and they are seeing the benefit of playing him in his natural position.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing last season - Dykes spending most of his time marking the opposing holding midfielder???

Even when we get a progressive player on our hands we somehow manage to limit his effectiveness. You couldn’t make it up.

I see your point here, and I don't completely disagree, but Dykes was played to get the best out of Dobbie last year, and it worked, as Dobbie's goal tally shows. It's complete guesswork, but I'd be fairly confident in saying that if Dykes had played in his best position, he would have scored more but as a team we'd have scored less overall.

I see your point here, and I don't completely disagree, but Dykes was played to get the best out of Dobbie last year, and it worked, as Dobbie's goal tally shows. It's complete guesswork, but I'd be fairly confident in saying that if Dykes had played in his best position, he would have scored more but as a team we'd have scored less overall.

At end of day by deploying these tactics Dobbie had a tremendous season as an individual but we still finished second bottom marginally ahead of arguably the worst Falkirk team in recent memory. When you throw in the other decent quality players at our disposal like Marshall, Wilson, McGuire and Todd it doesn’t make great reading.

At end of day by deploying these tactics Dobbie had a tremendous season as an individual but we still finished second bottom marginally ahead of arguably the worst Falkirk team in recent memory. When you throw in the other decent quality players at our disposal like Marshall, Wilson, McGuire and Todd it doesn’t make great reading.

Compare that to the pish we have this year

5 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Phew!!!  Glad to hear that. He plays in  positions  we don't really need any more players for. 

We really could do with a winger, just not Aird 

On 24/09/2019 at 19:06, weeredbook said:

Nail on the head .He isn't good enough .

On 24/09/2019 at 17:45, Northfield 53 said:

I have seen nothing from Hamilton to suggest he is good enough thought with his height he would be good in the air but sadly no  

Scored tonight and looked decent. As has been mentioned, he’s only just turned 19. What were you doing at that age? 

Edited by ALOREBURNE

What game to some of you watch I though at time our pace and play were decent . I saw a lot of positives about game at start of season most fans would have taken a draw against Dundee

At times. Were a fit semple and a couple of decent midfielders away

What game to some of you watch I though at time our pace and play were decent . I saw a lot of positives about game at start of season most fans would have taken a draw against Dundee
That's because Dundee were a title contender at the start of the season. The same way Partick were but at this moment in time I'd be wanting 3 points at home to them just now.

A point is better than nothing but AJ made no attempt to go for the win tonight. Only one manager made positive changes, whereas we stuck with what was on the pitch which barely threatened in the second half. If Dundee had looked even decent then I'd concede a point was a hard earned result but they were as spineless as us. That's a game where we should have been 'going for the kill' but instead we shit the bed and were content with a point. You'll forgive me for not jumping for joy with a point at home.

FWIW I thought McCrorie was our MOTM again. A couple of saves keeping us in the game.

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

barely threatened in the second half. 

Surely you must have seen the numerous chances Queens had to score in second half thru Hamilton, Dobbie, Faiss, Holt & Paton.. Don't think AJ wanted to upset the formation when they were creating chances, Hamiltons back pass of a header when he could have chested then burst the net was the pick of them.