The Queen of the South thread

Just goes to show you how things change in football. I always liked Lyndon Dykes! Maybe not a prolific goalscorer but was a good foil for Dobbs with his ability in the air and being a constant menace for the opposing defenders. I would say Sir Stephen misses him.

He’s turning out in front of 49,000 at Ibrox this Saturday instead of the usual 1,200 at Palmerston! At least the Queens gave him a chance to perform and go on and better himself.

Now that feelings have settled a bit, look at some of the other results this weekend! Dundee, Dundee Utd, Dunfermline, Ayr, all knocked out as well. Ayr had probably the hardest game away to Wrexham, but the first 3 were all knocked out at home as well. I'm more worried about our fitness, that's the second time we've lost a 2 goal lead this season. Are we not fit enough to last 90 minutes?

Aye beyond Murray, there's no creativity in the middle of the park. Paton is absolutely guff, Prybus seems a trier but still not convinced and others seem all a bit, at best, meh.

Don’t believe the hype with Murray either tbh, all step overs etc but rarely does anything. Crossing is terrible also. Got the tools though, just has to put them to better use. Don’t mind Pybus as you say trier which is questionable on others in midfield [emoji23] needs to get better in possession but runs himself into ground and does a lot of dirty work. I think someone beside him in mould of harkins would really have helped him instead he’s stuck with Kidd or Lyon. Fail to see what Paton brings to table either.

4 hours ago, JessieField said:

Now that feelings have settled a bit, look at some of the other results this weekend! Dundee, Dundee Utd, Dunfermline, Ayr, all knocked out as well. Ayr had probably the hardest game away to Wrexham, but the first 3 were all knocked out at home as well. I'm more worried about our fitness, that's the second time we've lost a 2 goal lead this season. Are we not fit enough to last 90 minutes?

Unfortunately unlike Queens who played there 'best' starting 11 the 4 teams mentioned above all played weaker teams in the competition, giving squad players a game. 

Don’t believe the hype with Murray either tbh, all step overs etc but rarely does anything. Crossing is terrible also. Got the tools though, just has to put them to better use. Don’t mind Pybus as you say trier which is questionable on others in midfield [emoji23] needs to get better in possession but runs himself into ground and does a lot of dirty work. I think someone beside him in mould of harkins would really have helped him instead he’s stuck with Kidd or Lyon. Fail to see what Paton brings to table either.

Our top goalscorer/best player of the season so far/only competent midfielder really does need to pull his socks up...

It says more about the rest than it does Murray tbh.

He's been comfortably our best player this season though. It's obvious he's improved even if he is playing alongside dross. I just find it strange that of all the shite we have this season, Murray is being criticised: he's last one who should be receiving it this season.

Holt's been bang average since his return. 

Several posters assured us that he was an up-grade on Jordan Marshall. Personally, I could never understand the apathy towards Jordan - a player who seldom ever played a bad game for us and who constantly got forward ahead of the ball and gave us another attacking outlet wide left.

Don’t get me wrong Holt is as good a replacement as we were going to get on our budget and I think he will do well for us but he is not getting forward much and with our lack of genuine width on the left we could do with him pushing forward when circumstances permit.

I'm not sure when we started training in Glasgow but under Connolly we were down here and obviously took a lot of players from the north of England. Lets not forget there wasn't a transfer market back then and we had our fair share of dross back then as well.

You will be paying more but dunno if there'd be too much in it. Imagine overall wages our players are taking home with their part time job and football would be more than the average FT player in this league outside the Dundee teams.

Hamilton average wage not around 38k a year or something?

I'd guess most of our players could get gigs full time if they wanted or it suited them but we've got guys mainly in their late twenties. Full time football at the lower level is for the younger guys still trying to make their way in the game or older professionals dropping down.

You will be paying more but dunno if there'd be too much in it. Imagine overall wages our players are taking home with their part time job and football would be more than the average FT player in this league outside the Dundee teams.

Hamilton average wage not around 38k a year or something?

I'd guess most of our players could get gigs full time if they wanted or it suited them but we've got guys mainly in their late twenties. Full time football at the lower level is for the younger guys still trying to make their way in the game or older professionals dropping down.
Yeah I don't doubt there isn't hundreds of difference but I do doubt we pay less than PT sides.

I can't imagine we'd attract any players if that was the case. Eg. If Arbroath/Alloa are paying £300pw* PT and we're paying £200pw* FT then surely every player is going to go for the PT option as they will be earning more money but would also be able to top up their wage by working as well. I wouldn't be committing to a FT contract when I could make more money for less hours, that's for sure.

* Random figures.

22 hours ago, dumfriesblue said:

during the 1980s  we had a lot off players from local sides . heston rovers /  greystoke / kello /  threave /  local sides . does anyone at the club go round these clubs anymore .   i know billy cross was the scout in them days .

Billy cross was a rangers scout. Not qos as far as I'm aware 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
18 hours ago, Come on queens said:
Billy cross was a rangers scout. Not qos as far as I'm aware 

"Discovered" Barry Nicholson apparently.

Billy managed alot of young local players when he was at Maxwelltown Thistle, and a few were recommended to senior teams by him. 

On 08/09/2019 at 23:17, dumfriesblue said:

during the 1980s  we had a lot off players from local sides . heston rovers /  greystoke / kello /  threave /  local sides . does anyone at the club go round these clubs anymore .   i know billy cross was the scout in them days .

Mentioned to 2 people at the club about the boy McKenzie at Nithsdale who is banging in goals for fun .