The Queen of the South thread

I’d punt Johnston for what it’s worth. Looked pretty clueless on touch line, instructed very little and stood with arms folded most the game. His signings, his squad... he carries the can.

Not one for knee jerk reactions, but I’m extremely worried.

Johnston was never an emotional manager in his first spell so I can't say that really bothers me. Even when we beat the mutants at Ibrox he was very subdued.

I wasn't as excited about AJ's appointment as some people (mostly the same people who thought he worked wonders with us the first time but forgot all the advantages he had over the division) but I'm not at a stage where I think it should even be considered tbh. It's a 2 year deal so we probably couldn't afford it and as ever, who is a better option?

I think it's a dose of reality some folk need: even before a ball was kicked it was always going to be a relegation battle this season. If AJ gets us to 8th then he's succeeded (as depressing as that is). His recruitment has been questionable so far but I really don't think anyone is going to be able to make some of our players perform any better. They just aren't very good.

29 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Johnston was never an emotional manager in his first spell so I can't say that really bothers me. Even when we beat the mutants at Ibrox he was very subdued.

I wasn't as excited about AJ's appointment as some people (mostly the same people who thought he worked wonders with us the first time but forgot all the advantages he had over the division) but I'm not at a stage where I think it should even be considered tbh. It's a 2 year deal so we probably couldn't afford it and as ever, who is a better option?

I think it's a dose of reality some folk need: even before a ball was kicked it was always going to be a relegation battle this season. If AJ gets us to 8th then he's succeeded (as depressing as that is). His recruitment has been questionable so far but I really don't think anyone is going to be able to make some of our players perform any better. They just aren't very good.

Depressing as Hell, but that's pretty much exactly how I see it.

We needed rid of Naysmith for the play-offs I think, but it's not provided a solution in a longer term and was always probably unlikely to.

Punting Naysmith when we did was clearly the right call, and appointing Johnston seemed an inspired choice as we cruised through the playoffs with relative ease and appeared to almost look like a coherent side after months of lethargic free-fall.  It obviously helped that he was available though, had he not been I'd imagine we would have stuck with Naysmith and would probably be playing in League One this season.

A league and cup win followed by saving us from relegation in his second spell isn't a bad looking CV for a Queens manager, but despite this I'm just not convinced by Johnston.  I think he earned the right to take charge this season, the mistake looks to have been offering him a two year contract.

If we had given the job to A N Other and they had started the season like this, Johnston is probably someone we would be looking at to come in and hopefully save us, or worse case scenario bring us back up next season.  With that option removed I really don't know where we go if we do decide to sack Johnston.

I can't help but fear that this story sees us end up with Dobbie as manager somewhere along the line.  He has been a miracle worker as a player, but I just can't see that transferring to management.  Whilst it's been an unexpected privilege to have had him back for a second spell, I can't help but pity him, he deserves better than fighting relegation battles with the utter dross he has had for team mates.  I don't think I could bear to so him struggling as manager on top of this.

Punting Naysmith when we did was clearly the right call, and appointing Johnston seemed an inspired choice as we cruised through the playoffs with relative ease and appeared to almost look like a coherent side after months of lethargic free-fall.  It obviously helped that he was available though, had he not been I'd imagine we would have stuck with Naysmith and would probably be playing in League One this season.
A league and cup win followed by saving us from relegation in his second spell isn't a bad looking CV for a Queens manager, but despite this I'm just not convinced by Johnston.  I think he earned the right to take charge this season, the mistake looks to have been offering him a two year contract.
If we had given the job to A N Other and they had started the season like this, Johnston is probably someone we would be looking at to come in and hopefully save us, or worse case scenario bring us back up next season.  With that option removed I really don't know where we go if we do decide to sack Johnston.
I can't help but fear that this story sees us end up with Dobbie as manager somewhere along the line.  He has been a miracle worker as a player, but I just can't see that transferring to management.  Whilst it's been an unexpected privilege to have had him back for a second spell, I can't help but pity him, he deserves better than fighting relegation battles with the utter dross he has had for team mates.  I don't think I could bear to so him struggling as manager on top of this.

On that Dobbie has never looked so disinterested on the park.

Where we go from here? Where will we be this time next year? I know it may be over the top but look what has happened to Brechin they went out of the Championship and fell down to the bottom of league 2. I agree with others that we need some kind of plan or clear aims for the future coming from the top. Crowds are dropping and players are despondent. We need a leader.

Where we go from here? Where will we be this time next year? I know it may be over the top but look what has happened to Brechin they went out of the Championship and fell down to the bottom of league 2. I agree with others that we need some kind of plan or clear aims for the future coming from the top. Crowds are dropping and players are despondent. We need a leader.

15 hours ago, Rouky said:

Don’t think there is any need for Michael Paton to be at the club, a complete charlatan springs to mind 

I think there were quite a few Sons fans who jumped on your thread when you signed him, but I really was staggered when you signed him. We had a lot of really poor players last year, and Paton was right up there.

Where's all the happy clappers AJs the man we'll play attacking attractive football again bring back this player and that player. Well they all left us and now come crawling back no point saying we're left the ones no one else wants. With our geographic position we shouldn't be competing with the central belt teams. Said it before we need to get of the merry go round and look in a different direction it got us out the doldrums before 

2 hours ago, cooshedder said:

Where's all the happy clappers AJs the man we'll play attacking attractive football again bring back this player and that player. Well they all left us and now come crawling back no point saying we're left the ones no one else wants. With our geographic position we shouldn't be competing with the central belt teams. Said it before we need to get of the merry go round and look in a different direction it got us out the doldrums before 

Our geographic position does not really matter as we train  at Hamilton .

The problem is money our budget is easily the smallest in the Championship .

We need to get a mix of full and part time players we just can't go on being a full time club .

We might then get the best part time players who are a lot better than the poor full time players we have just now .