The Queen of the South thread

7 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I think those objectives are challenging rather than uninspiring.

Just think Bolton , Bury, Gretna etc. and we should be grateful for what we have.

You are right, it may well be challenging, however that doesn't necessarily make it inspiring. Whether or not it's inspiring is subjective, but most people probably aren't inspired by maintaining the status quo, however challenging that is. It is possible, at least in theory and probably in reality, to maintain the status quo while energising support through a larger vision. Does anyone know if there is any sort of long term plan for the club?

It is clear there are lots of people, from the BoD down, trying to think of novel ways to generate income and their achievements should be applauded. Converting the Arena is a big one and the plastic pitch, although it's turned out to be a poor surface, was also creative thinking and involved taking a chance and that should be applauded. Even the little things like the QOS Trust running a book stall and the matchday posters should be acknowledged. However, what I can't see is a coherent long term vision into which these efforts are funneled, in which case all of that effort is likely to expended inefficiently.

5 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

...and the plastic pitch, although it's turned out to be a poor surface, was also creative thinking and involved taking a chance and that should be applauded. 

The only initiative with regard to the plastic pitch that I’d be likely to applaud is when they tear that abomination of a surface up and switch back to grass.

The only initiative with regard to the plastic pitch that I’d be likely to applaud is when they tear that abomination of a surface up and switch back to grass.

I totally understand the economic argument for additional income but the League Authorities should have redistributed income to ensure that clubs like QOS and countless others didn’t need to ruin football as a spectacle by allowing the precedent to be firmly established. These surfaces are multiplying at an alarming rate. Fortunately of our away games only the trip to Alloa is on artificial but it doesn’t bear thinking about - ridiculously narrow pitch on a horrific surface. You couldn’t make it up.

18 hours ago, Kunter said:

The board seem more interested in who's moved into the Queens arena than what's going on on the pitch! 

This must be a wind-up !

Nevertheless, it merits a response.

What's happening in the Arena directly affects what's going on on the pitch and the Board are quite right to be heavily involved in that.

If they hadn't done what they did with it we would certainly be a part-time Club in a lower Division  at best  or perhaps even fighting to survive as a League Club.

It's hard enough sustaining Full-Time football in the current circumstances - we certainly couldn't do it purely based on the numbers we get through the gate.

Promoting a ' plan and vision' is not going to significantly increase those numbers.   As far as I am aware though, our objective is to be challenging for the play-offs  and seeking promotion.

We have to live within our means and hope that the current Management and Players can produce performances to have us competitive.

Some may say it's been a disappointing start to the season but we have to remember we have a lot of new players and it will take time to gel and also for some players to reach peak fitness.

There's a long, long way to go so let's get behind AJ and the boys just as some did with Gary - although that almost ended in complete disaster !

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I totally understand the economic argument for additional income but the League Authorities should have redistributed income to ensure that clubs like QOS and countless others didn’t need to ruin football as a spectacle by allowing the precedent to be firmly established. These surfaces are multiplying at an alarming rate. Fortunately of our away games only the trip to Alloa is on artificial but it doesn’t bear thinking about - ridiculously narrow pitch on a horrific surface. You couldn’t make it up.

We have widened the pitch from the start of the league. A good way to be cost effective is become the 3rd p/t in the championship. 

1 hour ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I's hard enough sustaining Full-Time football in the current circumstances - we certainly couldn't do it purely based on the numbers we get through the gate.

Promoting a ' plan and vision' is not going to significantly increase those numbers.  

Having an articulated vision and a plan to achieve it is a basic primer for success in any endeavour. It's the difference between driving to work in the morning and just driving aimlessly around until you run out of petrol or find somewhere interesting to stop. It's how you are able to post shite about which positions we do or do not need to strengthen. It is how businesses decide where to allocate resources to maximise desirable outcomes. The fact you refer to something so basic like it's crazy Steve Jobs-esque blue sky thinking is no shocker.

2 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

This must be a wind-up !

Nevertheless, it merits a response.

What's happening in the Arena directly affects what's going on on the pitch and the Board are quite right to be heavily involved in that.

If they hadn't done what they did with it we would certainly be a part-time Club in a lower Division  at best  or perhaps even fighting to survive as a League Club.

It's hard enough sustaining Full-Time football in the current circumstances - we certainly couldn't do it purely based on the numbers we get through the gate.

Promoting a ' plan and vision' is not going to significantly increase those numbers.   As far as I am aware though, our objective is to be challenging for the play-offs  and seeking promotion.

We have to live within our means and hope that the current Management and Players can produce performances to have us competitive.

Some may say it's been a disappointing start to the season but we have to remember we have a lot of new players and it will take time to gel and also for some players to reach peak fitness.

There's a long, long way to go so let's get behind AJ and the boys just as some did with Gary - although that almost ended in complete disaster !

The idea of the Arena is to subsidise the club. The way the quality on the pitch has dwindled you could be forgiven for thinking all the shops had closed down. 

We've probably never had as much  generated income theoretically available in the club's history but it doesn't seem to be reflected on the pitch for some reason... 

1 hour ago, Kunter said:

The idea of the Arena is to subsidise the club. The way the quality on the pitch has dwindled you could be forgiven for thinking all the shops had closed down. 

We've probably never had as much  generated income theoretically available in the club's history but it doesn't seem to be reflected on the pitch for some reason... 

Have you seen the accounts for the last few years?

After the blount era when crowds were same as now and no arena or plastic pitch income we reached our level mid table championship odd flirt with relagation or play of going up would finish us who really wants seats in the portland. On the other hand why wasn't there a push for a special sponsor for our euro games eg dupont curries did anyone try and did anyone think after the cupfinal let's push on and see what happens maybe go into debt a bit try keep the crowds. Its like or recruitment now we are stuck scared to go forward or back. We are where we are no point complaining 

Been a queens fan for over 40 years been on pie and bovril less than a year and my god we have negative fans . Give the club a chance and include all the new players and management .As I have said in previous post how we are full time I do not know .
Point is we are full-time, don't knock it m8, bit negative there...

2 hours ago, cooshedder said:

After the blount era when crowds were same as now and no arena or plastic pitch income we reached our level mid table championship odd flirt with relagation or play of going up would finish us who really wants seats in the portland. On the other hand why wasn't there a push for a special sponsor for our euro games eg dupont curries did anyone try and did anyone think after the cupfinal let's push on and see what happens maybe go into debt a bit try keep the crowds. Its like or recruitment now we are stuck scared to go forward or back. We are where we are no point complaining 

We did go into debt in the years soon after the Cup final.

What a disaster of a season already.

Appointing AJ was a punt with his underwhelming track record at this level. Hard to decide if he’s to blame for assembling such a piss poor squad, or if he’s just done the best with the tools at his disposal. He certainly isn’t blameless, and that team should have more than enough to deal with Clyde.

There isn’t a manager in the world that could turn some of those jokers into footballers so punting him is going to achieve very little.

Pretty much a season of waiting on the inevitable I think, then deciding if AJ is the man to try and get us promoted.

Can’t believe I’m saying that in early September.