The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

It wasn’t solely down to the pitch but we had to substitute two of our best ball players because the pitch was making it near on impossible to control the ball with a single touch.

Didn’t excuse Dobbie tearing us to bits but we couldn’t get any moves going on that surface.

Let me get this straight, you're saying it was so bad that two of your best ball players couldn't play on it, yet the best ball player in the division managed to tear you to bits on it. Makes me wonder how we managed to get any moves going on it to win the game.

Let me get this straight, you're saying it was so bad that two of your best ball players couldn't play on it, yet the best ball player in the division managed to tear you to bits on it. Makes me wonder how we managed to get any moves going on it to win the game.

Pretty easy tbh. Long balls into Dykes and knock downs to Dobbie.

Have to say that midfield is the worst I've ever seen at Palmerston totally clueless no quality what so ever

Pybus looks OK and if he had a good player beside him would be ok

Kidd don't even get me started on him if you need a rb for cover fair enough but in cm jesus no

Paton poor fitness will be a problem doesn't look very interested and looks finished

Mccarthy not seen enough to make a real comment but if kidd is a better option he should retire

Oliver wasted out wide should be up front as should Murray imo

Kilday I don't mind him think he's a decent signing

Holt looks OK in spells will come good

Hamilton he has also played on the wing why I don't know he's a big lad we are missing dykes workrate and layoffs surely this lad could fill that gap

Face like the look of him and once he gets a goal and match fitness will be fine

Lyon clearly not fit but offered nothing yesterday

MCcrorrie good signing

Rather than sign kidd and paton I would have liked to give young boys a chance at least when they make the mistakes those are making we could understand

Fort me the midfield is a bomb site no one knows what their doing or how to do it and unless we can get 3 or 4 players in we will be in trouble.

On 30/08/2019 at 20:36, 19QOS19 said:

"Dunfermline offered more money". You and your crazy ideas. Clearly the rational explanation is that Gary Naysmith has been sitting for months waiting for an opportunity to do over his old club and when this chance has come up he's leapt on it and got inside Cochrane's head to put him off wanting to join such a horrible club. Naysmith is quite clearly sitting with a whiskey and a grin tonight after pulling off such a devilish plan against his old employers. He's truly got the last laugh!  

"Dunfermline offered more money". The very idea!

Daniel Armstrong just released from Ross County would be an excellent wide left midfield  signing. 

Although we would need to be quick to get him.

53 minutes ago, gogs said:

Have to say that midfield is the worst I've ever seen at Palmerston totally clueless no quality what so ever

Pybus looks OK and if he had a good player beside him would be ok

Kidd don't even get me started on him if you need a rb for cover fair enough but in cm jesus no

Paton poor fitness will be a problem doesn't look very interested and looks finished

Mccarthy not seen enough to make a real comment but if kidd is a better option he should retire

Oliver wasted out wide should be up front as should Murray imo

Kilday I don't mind him think he's a decent signing

Holt looks OK in spells will come good

Hamilton he has also played on the wing why I don't know he's a big lad we are missing dykes workrate and layoffs surely this lad could fill that gap

Face like the look of him and once he gets a goal and match fitness will be fine

Lyon clearly not fit but offered nothing yesterday

MCcrorrie good signing

Rather than sign kidd and paton I would have liked to give young boys a chance at least when they make the mistakes those are making we could understand

Fort me the midfield is a bomb site no one knows what their doing or how to do it and unless we can get 3 or 4 players in we will be in trouble.

Interesting topic. McLaughlin and Simmons in midfield still gives me the fear but this lot are definitely close of not worse. Watching us yesterday reminded me of this:-

DURE_XcZYcBOrZzalcgulGjG3Jk=.gif

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

The players are shit and so is the pitch. It’s two separate discussions.

Yesterday was down to the former, but the latter is still a concern worthy of discussion.

Agreed.

It was you who attempted to conflate the two yesterday though, when you commented on our dismal home record and said you'd like to see the stats that cover the period from when "the plastic went down".

As I said, I don't think its a particularly good surface but it seems like a lot of yesterday's views on our defeat being down to the calibre and ability of players we have now seem to be shifting to the quality of the pitch. The number of posts criticising the pitch when we play well or have a good win are very few imo and we have had some good results and performances on this surface which proves it is possible and suggests, to me at least, that the problem is more with the players than the surface. It's almost as if some people think if we lay a beautiful grass surface that average players will suddenly become great players and we'll never lose another game.  It's probably natural that fans moan about the pitch when they get beat but how many Ayr fans seriously  put that defeat down to the quality of the surface. 

Wasnt blaming the pitch for the result yesterday, or any other day. Was just speculating (after the pitch was mentioned by another poster) that we might currently have the worst pitch in british senior football. Cant be doing Dobbie much good playing on concrete every 2 weeks either.

50 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Daniel Armstrong just released from Ross County would be an excellent wide left midfield  signing. 

Although we would need to be quick to get him.

Armstrong would be a good signing plays wide left but the likes of him will get better offers elsewhere .

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Linked with Livingstone young LB from Motherwell, not a priority signing in my eyes unless AJ is going to use Kev Holt as a left midfielder. 

Kevin Holt is not a left midfielder never will be on the subject of Holt what has happened to him  nothing like the player that I thought we were getting been disappointing so far 

Wasnt blaming the pitch for the result yesterday, or any other day. Was just speculating (after the pitch was mentioned by another poster) that we might currently have the worst pitch in british senior football. Cant be doing Dobbie much good playing on concrete every 2 weeks either.

That is the problem - it is concrete.

If smaller Scottish clubs can only build a sustainable economic model with the help of community income from artificial pitches then the governing bodies need to decide if they are happy to ultimately see a complete plethora of these surfaces taking over from grass or will they distribute additional income down the food chain to help clubs “balance the books”.

In the case of the Premier League entrance criteria it seems a huge error of judgement to allow clubs like Killie, Hamilton and Livvy to deliver a brand of Mickey Mouse football at their home grounds.

A rotten pitch and performance on it isn't the only problem I hear, remedial work is required to part of the floor of the Main Stand, Rot and woodworm eating away at the floor supports. This would be a serious problem if the football was good enough to get the supporters in the affected sections jumping up and down with excitement, they could end up down in the changing rooms below. 

So that's the pitch to replace, floodlight stanchions to finish repairing and repainting, several floodlight bulbs needing replaced and the Stand floor to repair, we'll be lucky if there's any cash left to spend on the team.

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs
Spelling

If the pitch is so shit and the players cant handle it there is one very simply answer. Get them down here training on it !!  
If we are struggling to attract players to Glasgow I expect we'd struggle even more trying to attract them to Dumfries.

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

A rotten pitch and performance on it isn't the only problem I hear, remedial work is required to part of the floor of the Main Stand, Rot and woodworm eating away at the floor supports. This would be a serious problem if the football was good enough to get the supporters in the affected sections jumping up and down with excitement, they could end up down in the changing rooms below. 

So that's the pitch to replace, floodlight stanchions to finish repairing and repainting, several floodlight bulbs needing replaced and the Stand floor to repair, we'll be lucky if there's any cash left to spend on the team.

If only we knew a local builder who was also a fan.

19 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Agreed.

It was you who attempted to conflate the two yesterday though, when you commented on our dismal home record and said you'd like to see the stats that cover the period from when "the plastic went down".

Not my intention so sorry if it read that way.  The pitch was clearly a bobbly mess on Saturday but I don't think it impacted the result too much.  It certainly impacted the spectacle though.

I think there is a lot of merit in your argument that our poor home forms coincides with us having poor players but I'd still be interested in just how poor it has been since the pitch was laid.  When you see Stephen Dobbie miscontrolling the ball on a regular basis you know something is wrong.