The Queen of the South thread

Why the long ball from McCrorie to our small front line, surely short pass out build from the back along the ground we have players that need the ball at there feet not 6/7 feet in the air!! Only time we looked threatening yesterday was when we played passes along the ground, def missed Gary Oliver's runs yesterday up front creating space for Dobbie & Faiss. Need Murray on the right to get to byline on leftside he always has to cut back inside. Not to sure on formation yesterday and not sure the players knew either!! 

9 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I immediately regretted posting that as I knew I’d get called out!

Paton is probably our second worst signing after Kidd. They are the clear front runners because we already knew they were going to be shit before they signed. I’ve concerns over a few others though.

Hamilton - looks completely lost. Bringing him on is an acceptance we’ve run out of ideas and are going to punt it in his general direction.

McCarthy - pointless signing, behind Kidd in the pecking order says it all.

Pybus - not sure what his purpose is. He’s just there without doing much.

Lyon - see above.

Kilday - very worrying when Brownlie is the composed and calming influence in the partnership. Looks on the verge of doing something stupid every time the ball comes near him.

Every word of the above post is spot on that is what worrys me 

AJ signed every one of those players how can he think that they will suddenly become good players ..

Why the long ball from McCrorie to our small front line, surely short pass out build from the back along the ground we have players that need the ball at there feet not 6/7 feet in the air!! Only time we looked threatening yesterday was when we played passes along the ground, def missed Gary Oliver's runs yesterday up front creating space for Dobbie & Faiss. Need Murray on the right to get to byline on leftside he always has to cut back inside. Not to sure on formation yesterday and not sure the players knew either!! 
It wasn't exclusive to McCrorie tbh. Even if he passed it to a defender 9 times out of 10 they would punt it. For all that I wasn't impressed with Alloa I did comment that they at least had the sense to keep the ball down and pass rather than lump it against the wind.

10 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Kilday - very worrying when Brownlie is the composed and calming influence in the partnership. Looks on the verge of doing something stupid every time the ball comes near him.

That's the Kilday we had for the last few seasons. 

Saying that, if he was still with us, he would prob be our best defender. 

12 hours ago, happysouth said:
12 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:
Rip it up and bring back the grass pitch. 

Do you know how much that would cost? Not that I'm disagreeing with the sentiment of your post. Unfortunately I don't think we can afford to go back to grass.

Would it be fair to say we have one of the worst, if not the worst, pitch in British senior football?

I would be surprised,given the money in English football, that any of their 92 pro clubs have worse surfaces than ours.

Of the terrible pitches in Scotland (that I've seen) Killie , Hamilton nd Alloa have all replaced theirs recently with something better. Artificial surfaces at Falkirk, Livi, Montrose, etc, all seem much better than ours. The only other pitch I can think of thats possibly worse ithan ours (presumably cos they are really skint) is the grass pitch at Albion Rovers?

10 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

Would it be fair to say we have one of the worst, if not the worst, pitch in British senior football?

I would be surprised,given the money in English football, that any of their 92 pro clubs have worse surfaces than ours.

Of the terrible pitches in Scotland (that I've seen) Killie , Hamilton nd Alloa have all replaced theirs recently with something better. Artificial surfaces at Falkirk, Livi, Montrose, etc, all seem much better than ours. The only other pitch I can think of thats possibly worse ithan ours (presumably cos they are really skint) is the grass pitch at Albion Rovers?

Sure a NEW pitch is getting laid for next season... 

Clyde had a shocker but they've replaced it. Albion one seemed to have improved alot but could be wrong. Stenny probably have the worst Astro.

Lets not start putting the blame for yesterday's performance solely on the pitch. That excuse only seems to be brought up when we play badly or get beat.  I doubt if anyone gave a thought to the pitch when we comfortably beat high flying Ayr United last season or Dundee in the Cup replay or any other good win or performance. I'm not saying for a minute it's a good surface but as the old saying goes, it's the same for both sides and opposition players seem to read the bounce and run of the ball without too much difficulty. If I had a £1 for the number of times I've lost my rag at Queens player's (defenders especially) allowing the ball to bounce instead of taking it early and taking control I could probably pay for a new pitch myself. We are fortunate to have a few players in the wide and forward positions who are relatively comfortable with the ball at their feet on the deck, lumping high balls or passes at head height to them on any artificial surface doesn't give them a chance to show it. The main problem as far as I'm concerned is that most of our  players in defensive and midfield positions particularly either don't have the basic technical ability to trap or pass the ball and poor decision making when to attack the ball when it is coming o them. I think there is a definite lack of confidence in some players which probably results in them just booting the ball as far and as hard away from themselves as they can manage.     

37 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Sure a NEW pitch is getting laid for next season... 

Will believe that when I see it .

Queens have just about got enough money to get the flood lights sorted where are they getting the money for a new pitch.

Would really like us to go back to grass look at Ayr last week even at our level you can still have a good grass pitch but that will never happen 

Clyde had a shocker but they've replaced it. Albion one seemed to have improved alot but could be wrong. Stenny probably have the worst Astro.

I was at Albion a few weeks back and it was ok tbf. I reckon by December it will be a potato field though. I was also at Stenny a few weeks back against Edinburgh City and there pitch looked to play better than ours.
For all I was encouraged with last weeks performance it’s all gone after yesterday
This. I came away pretty optimistic last week. After yesterday I was completely shattered. Absolutely toothless.

Lets not start putting the blame for yesterday's performance solely on the pitch. That excuse only seems to be brought up when we play badly or get beat.  I doubt if anyone gave a thought to the pitch when we comfortably beat high flying Ayr United last season or Dundee in the Cup replay or any other good win or performance. I'm not saying for a minute it's a good surface but as the old saying goes, it's the same for both sides and opposition players seem to read the bounce and run of the ball without too much difficulty. If I had a £1 for the number of times I've lost my rag at Queens player's (defenders especially) allowing the ball to bounce instead of taking it early and taking control I could probably pay for a new pitch myself. We are fortunate to have a few players in the wide and forward positions who are relatively comfortable with the ball at their feet on the deck, lumping high balls or passes at head height to them on any artificial surface doesn't give them a chance to show it. The main problem as far as I'm concerned is that most of our  players in defensive and midfield positions particularly either don't have the basic technical ability to trap or pass the ball and poor decision making when to attack the ball when it is coming o them. I think there is a definite lack of confidence in some players which probably results in them just booting the ball as far and as hard away from themselves as they can manage.     
It's not an excuse. The pitch is dreadful. I've been saying that for months regardless of the result. Ayr fans were moaning about it when we humped them and even then I said I thought our pitch was dreadful.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I was at Albion a few weeks back and it was ok tbf. I reckon by December it will be a potato field though. I was also at Stenny a few weeks back against Edinburgh City and there pitch looked to play better than ours.
This. I came away pretty optimistic last week. After yesterday I was completely shattered. Absolutely toothless.

It's not an excuse. The pitch is dreadful. I've been saying that for months regardless of the result. Ayr fans were moaning about it when we humped them and even then I said I thought our pitch was dreadful.

As I said, I don't think its a particularly good surface but it seems like a lot of yesterday's views on our defeat being down to the calibre and ability of players we have now seem to be shifting to the quality of the pitch. The number of posts criticising the pitch when we play well or have a good win are very few imo and we have had some good results and performances on this surface which proves it is possible and suggests, to me at least, that the problem is more with the players than the surface. It's almost as if some people think if we lay a beautiful grass surface that average players will suddenly become great players and we'll never lose another game.  It's probably natural that fans moan about the pitch when they get beat but how many Ayr fans seriously  put that defeat down to the quality of the surface. 

As I said, I don't think its a particularly good surface but it seems like a lot of yesterday's views on our defeat being down to the calibre and ability of players we have now seem to be shifting to the quality of the pitch. The number of posts criticising the pitch when we play well or have a good win are very few imo and we have had some good results and performances on this surface which proves it is possible and suggests, to me at least, that the problem is more with the players than the surface. It's almost as if some people think if we lay a beautiful grass surface that average players will suddenly become great players and we'll never lose another game.  It's probably natural that fans moan about the pitch when they get beat but how many Ayr fans seriously  put that defeat down to the quality of the surface. 

It wasn’t solely down to the pitch but we had to substitute two of our best ball players because the pitch was making it near on impossible to control the ball with a single touch.

Didn’t excuse Dobbie tearing us to bits but we couldn’t get any moves going on that surface.

Clearly our poor home form over past 3 years+ isn’t exclusively down to pitch.

That said , watching the ball repeatedly bounce up to waist height and bobble all over the place is certainly not entertainment. If these pitches are to be allowed in the professional game ( and I don’t think they should be) they have to meet an exacting criteria in terms of playability. Raith, Falkirk are two surfaces that do play well but Palmerston is as bad as any I have seen on my travels.

Sadly they are now infesting the Premier League as well and what little chance Scotland has of getting the national sport back on track will not be helped by allowing competitive matches to feature in this manner.

I have yet to hear a Pro who wants to play on them.