The Queen of the South thread

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Hopefully Hamilton fans can give us some more info. on him. If he went through Hamilton's youth set up then I'm confident he'll be decent.

I remember him scoring the winner at ibrox. Looks like he's a busy player who likes to get forward and packs a tough challenge. 

Not got much ability but is incredibly fit, pretty strong and fairly clever off the ball. His best games for us were when he was asked to disrupt specific opposition players, although he struggled up against intelligent players e.g. he nullified Ryan Jack but couldn't lay a glove on Dylan McGeouch. I'd imagine that won't be a problem in the Championship though.

He'll be good in games where you won't see much of the ball as he's pretty ineffective with it, so don't expect him to contribute much/at all to attacks.

Finally, don't fucking play him at right-back and especially not RWB.

4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Not got much ability but is incredibly fit, pretty strong and fairly clever off the ball. His best games for us were when he was asked to disrupt specific opposition players, although he struggled up against intelligent players e.g. he nullified Ryan Jack but couldn't lay a glove on Dylan McGeouch. I'd imagine that won't be a problem in the Championship though.

He'll be good in games where you won't see much of the ball as he's pretty ineffective with it, so don't expect him to contribute much/at all to attacks.

Finally, don't fucking play him at right-back and especially not RWB.

Mmm, I think we were hoping for a creative player, but he doesn't sound much like one of those.

It seems he barely played for Peterborough last season, which doesn't sound vastly encouraging.  We'll see.

My thinking aswelll hopefully another couple from the loan market 2 wingers or a creative cm and a winger would be excellent. This guy sounds decent too hopefully can do a job.

Sounds like the badly needed replacement for Kyle Jacobs then. Happy enough with that.

As he is a permanent signing that hopefully means a loan or two still to come as well.

Mmm, I think we were hoping for a creative player, but he doesn't sound much like one of those.

It seems he barely played for Peterborough last season, which doesn't sound vastly encouraging.  We'll see.

Were we? Most folk I’ve spoken to wanted Iain Wilson back who’s not exactly creative. Hoping he’ll turn out to be decent seems to have a bit of a presence about him which I think was badly lacking from our midfield. Left winger now and I’ll be pretty happy.

If we do use our two loans what position would you’s fill? Left wing and left hand side of defence?

If he is a bit of a destroyer, then hopefully that’ll free Pybus up to do a bit more work going forward. As pointed out he likes to get up and support strikers so hopefully this will help him do it more.

Were we? Most folk I’ve spoken to wanted Iain Wilson back who’s not exactly creative. Hoping he’ll turn out to be decent seems to have a bit of a presence about him which I think was badly lacking from our midfield. Left winger now and I’ll be pretty happy.

If we do use our two loans what position would you’s fill? Left wing and left hand side of defence?

If he is a bit of a destroyer, then hopefully that’ll free Pybus up to do a bit more work going forward. As pointed out he likes to get up and support strikers so hopefully this will help him do it more.

Yeah I'd say we're after a creative midfielder. Have any of our current CM played a through ball yet? I saw Wilson as a box-to-box player so he'd drive forward from the middle.

We definitely needed a "destroyer" far more than we needed creativity.  Compared with previous seasons I'd say we have got a lot of good creative options but not a single person to do the dirty work in the middle of the park.  45 minutes of Kidd shitebagging out of challenges and headers last week was far more annoying than several seasons of Jacobs gifting the ball to our opponents.

If Lyon proves to offer this steel in the middle of the park I wouldn't be against playing Paton alongside him on occasion.  He is better suited to playing the "standing in the centre circle pinging passes" role than he is winger that's for sure.

I'd like to see us bringing in 2 wide men, one for each wing.  Paton is hopeless out there and I still don't think Murray's best position is out wide.

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yeah I'd say we're after a creative midfielder. Have any of our current CM played a through ball yet? I saw Wilson as a box-to-box player so he'd drive forward from the middle.

Indeed, in the game against us towards the end of the season while Wilson wasn't slinging balls everywhere his driving runs from midfield destroyed us. 

39 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Agreed.

As far as I'm concerned, our difficulties in midfield have more to do with using the ball than winning it.  Paton is certainly more of a pretty player than an aggressive one, but he's not been terribly effective yet. 

It's not the general view on here, but I think we suffered in losing Harkins, and haven't sorted it since.