The Queen of the South thread

29 minutes ago, baw heid said:

Worth noting that the other part time club got a draw with Partick. No easy games and it shows if you have an organised group you can pick up points against anyone in this league. Looking forward to the game on Saturday, I couldn't manage Arbroath but I did think we showed promise at Greenock and surprised how few positive comments about a clean sheet.

Tbh I'd expect a clean sheet and the 3 points away to Arbroath any day of the week, with or without Dobbie. Anything less against the 2 part-time teams isn't good enough if we want to stay in the division or even fight for the play-offs. 

Worth noting that the other part time club got a draw with Partick. No easy games and it shows if you have an organised group you can pick up points against anyone in this league. Looking forward to the game on Saturday, I couldn't manage Arbroath but I did think we showed promise at Greenock and surprised how few positive comments about a clean sheet. 
I've went on a wee bit already. PT sides aren't going to be whipping boys; how many years did Dumbarton and ourselves survive in this division? My biggest issue wasn't that we failed to beat Arbroath, my biggest issue was the exact same as it was against Annan: we failed to beat a terrible PT side.

19 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
21 hours ago, baw heid said:

I've went on a wee bit already. PT sides aren't going to be whipping boys; how many years did Dumbarton and ourselves survive in this division? My biggest issue wasn't that we failed to beat Arbroath, my biggest issue was the exact same as it was against Annan: we failed to beat a terrible PT side.

Arbroath are a far better team than Annan.

When we get Dobbie back get our loan signing in we will then expect to beat Arbroath but right now we have a poor team . 

The full time thing does not make much of a difference these days part time players are just as fit 

When we get Dobbie back get our loan signing in we will then expect to beat Arbroath but right now we have a poor team . 
The full time thing does not make much of a difference these days part time players are just as fit 
Far better? Annan put 3 past us, Arbroath never made McCrorie work. Though tbf Arbroath looked a bit better after their subs came on.

48 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
54 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Far better? Annan put 3 past us, Arbroath never made McCrorie work. Though tbf Arbroath looked a bit better after their subs came on.

Of course Arbroath are a better team than Annan.

Arbroath won their league at a canter last season.

Not taking into Account our performances against both sides it is ridiculous to say Annan are better or even on a par with Arbroath at this current time.

Not taking into Account our performances against both sides it is ridiculous to say Annan are better or even on a par with Arbroath at this current time.
I'm not disputing Arbroath are a better side. I take issue with the "far" part. Arbroath weren't much better on Saturday than Annan were against us though.

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
27 minutes ago, SueSue said:

I'm not disputing Arbroath are a better side. I take issue with the "far" part. Arbroath weren't much better on Saturday than Annan were against us though.

or were we much better at Arbroath than against Annan? Even with a depleted squad the lads on the field deserve some credit. Dobs back and a couple of decent loans then lets see how it goes. Time to get behind the team on Saturday 

or were we much better at Arbroath than against Annan? Even with a depleted squad the lads on the field deserve some credit. Dobs back and a couple of decent loans then lets see how it goes. Time to get behind the team on Saturday 
Depends which way you look at it. Personally I think we're a better side with Dobbie though...

Another player I hoped we might sign Loius Longbridge signs with Falkirk today. Looks like we are waiting on loan signings guessing won't be till after Sat game, next fixture 2 weeks after that at Ayr when surely we will have signed more better quality players to improve the starting 11.

27 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
49 minutes ago, baw heid said:

Depends which way you look at it. Personally I think we're a better side with Dobbie though...

So you think the second half against Annan with Dobbie playing was better than the performance at Arbroath without Dobbie ?

5 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Another player I hoped we might sign Loius Longbridge signs with Falkirk today. Looks like we are waiting on loan signings guessing won't be till after Sat game, next fixture 2 weeks after that at Ayr when surely we will have signed more better quality players to improve the starting 11.

Considering he has only signed Until January at Falkirk I think it is quite disappointing we could not offer a years contract to tempt him our way.

Surely Queens must have a budget that allows the club to employ 15/16 first team players and then subsidise it with youth. 

So you think the second half against Annan with Dobbie playing was better than the performance at Arbroath without Dobbie ?

I think we're a better side with Dobbie. We never had him on Saturday unlike against Annan. Both sides got a 'point' against us though. Arbroath did so against a weaker side that faced Annan IMO. So again, I think it's extreme to say Arbroath were "far" better than Annan.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, SueSue said:

I think we're a better side with Dobbie. We never had him on Saturday unlike against Annan. Both sides got a 'point' against us though. Arbroath did so against a weaker side that faced Annan IMO. So again, I think it's extreme to say Arbroath were "far" better than Annan.

Of course we are a better side with Dobbie in.

but I will stick to my guns that the side that played against Arbroath on Saturday and the performance they put in would have been more than enough to turn Annan over. 

Does it really matter who's better out of Arbroath and Annan? 

The fact is, we didn't beat either of them in 90 minutes. That is how poor we have been. One 2 goal comeback against Morton and an a draw away to part-time Arbroath is a good start. 

A lot of people seem to be making the assumption that any players we bring in are going to be better than the existing squad, but I'm not sure why?  It is going to be the same man who has signed the rest of the squad signing these players, and so far his eye for a player can only be described as mixed.  Also with the season already underway it's pretty safe to assume most good players will have been snapped up already.  We need signings to make the numbers up, so any we get will be welcome, but I'm not holding out much hope of them being in the "marquee" category.

With our budget as it is, our best chance of competing is to have a manager that can coach improvement out of the players we have, and also hope that several peak at the same time.  He managed both first time round but had the luxury of doing so in the league below.  I'd rate his chances far lower this time round.

It might be more his budget than his eye that has resulted in the mixed bunch of signings.  I reckon if we had a first-hand look at the budget AJ has to work with we'd be shocked.

This current situation at Queens is getting tediously repetitive.  It seems that we've been ploughing the same old furrow for season after season (apart from the return of God, which was a wonderful thing)  - tiny budgets, apathetic fans, pitch controversies, uninspiring Chairmen, over-secretive BoDs, a managerial merry-go-round (to coin a phrase), blah, blah, blah, same old same old.  Oh, for some excitement!

20 minutes ago, oldhat said:

It might be more his budget than his eye that has resulted in the mixed bunch of signings.  I reckon if we had a first-hand look at the budget AJ has to work with we'd be shocked.

This current situation at Queens is getting tediously repetitive.  It seems that we've been ploughing the same old furrow for season after season (apart from the return of God, which was a wonderful thing)  - tiny budgets, apathetic fans, pitch controversies, uninspiring Chairmen, over-secretive BoDs, a managerial merry-go-round (to coin a phrase), blah, blah, blah, same old same old.  Oh, for some excitement!

That sums it up nicely .

I'm not having a go at him but AJ probably had one of the league's biggest budgets at Dunfermline and looked how that went. Point being, the budget can't be solely used as an excuse if we do have a poor season.

Annan put three past us because we made individual errors. They weren’t pressing or forcing errors, the Queens team on the day was just very poor. If we’d have made the same errors vs Arbroath, we’d had conceded 3 as well.

If we defended against Annan the way we did vs Arbroath we’d have won the game at a canter.

Annan put three past us because we made individual errors. They weren’t pressing or forcing errors, the Queens team on the day was just very poor. If we’d have made the same errors vs Arbroath, we’d had conceded 3 as well.

If we defended against Annan the way we did vs Arbroath we’d have won the game at a canter.