The Queen of the South thread

We have actually cut our budget significantly and reckon they're won't be many boys on north of £500 a week, the nucleus of the squad is there from last season but a lot of young, hungry players came in over the summer.

Crawford seems to be playing a high intensity pressing game which works in the first half of games but we run out of steam in the second hence why we faded away against Dundee.

Looking forward to my first trip down to Dumfries next weekend and what should be a good game, will dobbie be fit?
No.

8 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

We have actually cut our budget significantly and reckon they're won't be many boys on north of £500 a week, the nucleus of the squad is there from last season but a lot of young, hungry players came in over the summer.

Crawford seems to be playing a high intensity pressing game which works in the first half of games but we run out of steam in the second hence why we faded away against Dundee.

Looking forward to my first trip down to Dumfries next weekend and what should be a good game, will dobbie be fit?

Dobbie unlikely to be back for another 3 weeks minimum. 

The only frustrating thing is not scoring when we do manage a clean sheet.

McCrorrie commanded his 6 yard box and that helped with keeping a clean sheet. I thought he was excellent yesterday along with Pybus.

I will reserve judgement on drawing yesterday until a few other sides have played away to Arbroath. Similar to the opinion of last season that everyone would stuff Alloa at their place.

For a very very new side it is 1 defeat in 5 competitive games. ( happy clappers )

but I am sure the next comment will be it’s 1 win in 5 games !!! ( doom gloomers )

The only frustrating thing is not scoring when we do manage a clean sheet.
McCrorrie commanded his 6 yard box and that helped with keeping a clean sheet. I thought he was excellent yesterday along with Pybus.
I will reserve judgement on drawing yesterday until a few other sides have played away to Arbroath. Similar to the opinion of last season that everyone would stuff Alloa at their place.
For a very very new side it is 1 defeat in 5 competitive games. ( happy clappers )
but I am sure the next comment will be it’s 1 win in 5 games !!! ( doom gloomers )

Or for us Doom Gloomers - that one win coming against a PT side and failing to beat the other 2 PT sides ;)

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Or for us Doom Gloomers - that one win coming against a PT side and failing to beat the other 2 PT sides ;)

For all intents and purposes Queens are a full time club in name only.

The number of staff, the squad size, the playing budget,  all equates to part time.

With 13 senior players going into the first league game it is clear that there is no money, or at best a little bit left. Even compared to part time teams in the league.

With that in mind I think 1 defeat in the first 5 games against full time or part time clubs is an okay start. Neither gloomer or clapper.

I think if you had been hoping for a lose to Motherwell and then to beat Annan, Dumbarton, Morton and Arbroath with a squad of 13 players it would have been unrealistic as this part of the season.

12 minutes ago, SueSue said:

The number of staff, the squad size, the playing budget,  all equates to part time.

With 13 senior players going into the first league game it is clear that there is no money, or at best a little bit left. Even compared to part time teams in the league.

With that in mind I think 1 defeat in the first 5 games against full time or part time clubs is an okay start. Neither gloomer or clapper.

I think if you had been hoping for a lose to Motherwell and then to beat Annan, Dumbarton, Morton and Arbroath with a squad of 13 players it would have been unrealistic as this part of the season.

as i have been saying for years . time for mr hewitson to open his wallet . use some money from the flats built on qos land . or the £300 k spent on the changing rooms . 13 players is not enough for any club . i dont want to see palmerston used for housing which i believe is the end game

1 hour ago, SueSue said:

I wasn't actually hoping to lose to Motherwell myself, although doing so was acceptable.

The others have also been acceptable, apart from Annan, which was of course anything but.

On balance, this has been a poorish start.

Queens  seem to still be very much at the experimental stage or at least have been unable to field a settled side, defensively anyway.  We have barely managed to start/finish any game so far with the same back 4 in successive competitive games The central defensive pairing has certainly been changed during this time, yesterday Semple / Brownlie were paired together for the first time, last week (with Brownlie suspended)  it was Semple,/ Kilday, the 3 games before that it was Kilday/ Brownlie, and even that pairing didn't finish the Dumbarton game together.  Mercer has played at right back, so has Kidd, who also dropped back into CD on occasion.  Left back Holt and the keeper are the only ever presents in their positions. Until Johnston works out what his best defensive line-up to build on is, and is able to use it, I think its difficult to judge how our season will go, or be overly critical of how its gone so far. 

You honestly think beating 3 part-time sides and a side on a par with us is unrealistic? Your standards are a lot lower than mine then. If that was unrealistic, what chance do you give us against all the top sides in this division? We are the smallest FT side in the league and a lot is bordering on PT but our players are professionals, Dumbarton and Annan (possibly some Arbroath players) players could have done a full days craft before playing us. That's what I mean when I refer to PT.

You assume because Arbroath are classed as part time we have a god given right to beat them. We don’t. They are a Championship Club. Just as every team thought last season that they should be spanking Alloa every week. 

As are Morton. A team who at their place last season we could not turn over. 

So what I am saying is that apart from Annan In the 2nd half we are realistically where I expected......::

Taking into account a current squad of 13 players.

To put it another way. 

I would assume you agree we are 2/3 players short ... 

so if we had beaten both Annan and Dumbarton and drawn with Morton and Arbroath with what is agreed is a bare  squad, would you not be optimistic that with additions to the squad we actually could be looking at a decent season? 

You assume because Arbroath are classed as part time we have a god given right to beat them. We don’t. They are a Championship Club. Just as every team thought last season that they should be spanking Alloa every week. 
As are Morton. A team who at their place last season we could not turn over. 
So what I am saying is that apart from Annan In the 2nd half we are realistically where I expected......::
Taking into account a current squad of 13 players.

To put it another way. 
I would assume you agree we are 2/3 players short ... 
so if we had beaten both Annan and Dumbarton and drawn with Morton and Arbroath with what is agreed is a bare  squad, would you not be optimistic that with additions to the squad we actually could be looking at a decent season? 

Of course we don't have the right to beat any side in the division. Arbroath away is one we should be looking to win though. Give me an away fixture that you see as more likely to pick up 3 points? Alloa away and Arbroath away are fixtures I think we need to get 3 points if we want to stay up, so you'll again have to forgive me for not getting excited by a point yesterday regardless of our current squad numbers. Any other side in the league and I'd be content with a point.

I do agree we could do with a couple of more bodies in the squad but it is what it is. Are we to use this "but we're still short" as an excuse any time we fail to win?

Of course we don't have the right to beat any side in the division. Arbroath away is one we should be looking to win though. Give me an away fixture that you see as more likely to pick up 3 points? Alloa away and Arbroath away are fixtures I think we need to get 3 points if we want to stay up, so you'll again have to forgive me for not getting excited by a point yesterday regardless of our current squad numbers. Any other side in the league and I'd be content with a point.

I do agree we could do with a couple of more bodies in the squad but it is what it is. Are we to use this "but we're still short" as an excuse any time we fail to win?

Until we’re not short

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Sadly we are short and yes it will be used until the numbers are up into the squad.

purely for the fact only having 13 first team players there is no chance to change the shape of the game if it needs changing to force a positive result.

I am not saying I am creaming myself at the point won yesterday but neither am I losing any sleep over it.

14 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Sadly we are short and yes it will be used until the numbers are up into the squad.

purely for the fact only having 13 first team players there is no chance to change the shape of the game if it needs changing to force a positive result.

I am not saying I am creaming myself at the point won yesterday but neither am I losing any sleep over it.

We could sign 4 players tomorrow to get the numbers up  but they would be no better than what we have e just now .

What we really need is more quality in the squad we will just have to wait till the 2 players become available that we want on loan .

What had happened to the sign it has not been updated been a while since the Motherwell and Annan games 

Edited by Northfield 53

We have a first team squad of 20 players. So I'm not sure how we only have 13? 13 of them may be more senior or experienced (which is more than some other teams in the league) but the rest of the first team just now is mainly younger players coming through. Do they not count as a first team squad players because they're young? It wasn't that long ago some of us were crying out for a youth player to come through and make a name for himself. Has that changed? Murray has finally came in and is looking very promising for the season ahead. 

We have to accept that we won't have a squad of 15/16 experienced first team players and that some of the numbers will be made of of the younger lads. 

Obviously upsets happen and any team can beat any team on their day, that is one of the many joys of football.  Over a full campaign though the part time sides tend to finish at the bottom end of this division come May.  To avoid us suffering a similar fate we need to be picking up points and ideally wins against them.  That is not a controversial viewpoint in the slightest and shows why yesterday's result can be viewed as a disappointing one.

I get that there are certain circumstances at play that perhaps need to be factored in regarding yesterday.  However I doubt Arbroath have finished building their squad either, and apparently they were also missing their best player (granted he won't be as good as Dobbie).  So they don't really fly as far as I'm concerned.

It's a poor result to start the league campaign, after a poor League Cup, but given all the changes I don't think anyone can be too surprised with where we find ourselves just now.  We need to get our act together for Saturday though.

we need to reserve judgment on yesterday result for a couple of months. If come October Arbroath are top 5 then it could be deemed a good away point but if they are bottom of the league with only 2pts then yesterday was a poor result

15 hours ago, queenslad said:

we need to reserve judgment on yesterday result for a couple of months. If come October Arbroath are top 5 then it could be deemed a good away point but if they are bottom of the league with only 2pts then yesterday was a poor result

Worth noting that the other part time club got a draw with Partick. No easy games and it shows if you have an organised group you can pick up points against anyone in this league. Looking forward to the game on Saturday, I couldn't manage Arbroath but I did think we showed promise at Greenock and surprised how few positive comments about a clean sheet.