The Queen of the South thread

On 28/07/2019 at 18:57, virginton said:

I have no idea why some Queens fans just assume that you'll get better at defending crosses and set pieces; it's not a passive quality that you gain with match practice - you either find a defensive system that works or you just keep chucking the goals in every week. And by the same token, the other teams in the division have scope to improve their attacking set pieces: a Hopkin-managed side like ourselves will spend a lot of time doing that on the training ground throughout the campaign. 

Given that you proved just as dung at it throughout last season and finished 9th I'd be wee bit more concerned about that if I were you.

There are plenty of reasons to think we will get better at defending crosses and set pieces: it is clearly going to be an objective to improve defending since clean sheets win points; the coaching staff and half of the back six have changed from last season; and, this particular manager did a number on our defending when he was last here.

A particular example was the 2-0 League Cup victory against Hibs. I had moved away from Dumfries and was seeing fewer games, so this one perhaps stands out for me for other reasons, but the thing I remember from that game was watching our flawless defensive shape and the fluidity of our defensive players as Hibs tried to find a way through unsuccessfully. For me, how good we became at defending is more of a hallmark of his earlier spell than our attacking play.

Naturally, that doesn't mean he will repeat his success, and defensive shape is different in some ways to defending cross balls, but there is no reason to assume that the obvious objective of improving our defending will be unsuccessful. 

36 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Surely we will have at least 2 new signing in for Saturday if not then the squad we have just now is not good enough time get a result at Arbroath maybe with Dobbie we had a chance but no Dobbie no result 

We got a result at Morton last weekend with what we have and no Dobbie.

But yes, a couple of new players in would be welcome.

Heard this week that Keltie Hearts have a budget of a million pounds a year for the next 7years for buying players. They may not have to use it of course ,therefore it will last longer. 

They out waged Falkirk in pursuit of a player, they own their own bus as well as two mini busses, Ferguson is on a four figure a week wage and also drives a club owned vehicle. 

What chance have we got, never mind lowland league clubs? 

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

Surely we will have at least 2 new signing in for Saturday if not then the squad we have just now is not good enough time get a result at Arbroath maybe with Dobbie we had a chance but no Dobbie no result 

It’s the waiting game now to see who’ll become available on loan. 

4 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

It’s the waiting game now to see who’ll become available on loan. 

We can't wait till the end of August we could be bottom of the league we need players now  but as always it is all to do with money something we don't have a lot of .

Heard this week that Keltie Hearts have a budget of a million pounds a year for the next 7years for buying players. They may not have to use it of course ,therefore it will last longer. 
They out waged Falkirk in pursuit of a player, they own their own bus as well as two mini busses, Ferguson is on a four figure a week wage and also drives a club owned vehicle. 
What chance have we got, never mind lowland league clubs? 
That is crazy... But remember what happened to Gretna and we are still here. And we will be around a lot longer than Kelty Hearts...

Why is it always the boards fault how is it not our fault the fans meaning are we expecting too much have we lived the dream for 10 years . May 2008 we took over 15000 to a cup final we now average less than 1400 Home fans roughly 800paying £18 per game 400 paying a £10 200 less than a fiver approx £19400 per game x18 home games £349200 a season if you divided by 18 players it averages £19400 per player ( yes I know players are on more and on less per year ) but there are appearance money and win bonus to be paid as well . The club are trying hard to make money away from a home Saturday . We have very loyal fans who dig deep all the time to support club which is fantastic and it would help the club if the away fans turned out in similar numbers to what queens fans take to away games . Queens money problems are similar in 75% of clubs in Scotland. My main wish is we could develop home grown players but this is so hard due to the lack of help in funding a good youth system this is not just down to the club but how sfa want clubs to develop players and how they want to help which is very little
I am confident Alan and sandy will deliver a decent team and football that is worth watching starting with 3 points on Saturday

12 minutes ago, lowland star said:

Why is it always the boards fault how is it not our fault the fans meaning are we expecting too much have we lived the dream for 10 years . May 2008 we took over 15000 to a cup final we now average less than 1400 Home fans roughly 800paying £18 per game 400 paying a £10 200 less than a fiver approx £19400 per game x18 home games £349200 a season if you divided by 18 players it averages £19400 per player ( yes I know players are on more and on less per year ) but there are appearance money and win bonus to be paid as well . The club are trying hard to make money away from a home Saturday . We have very loyal fans who dig deep all the time to support club which is fantastic and it would help the club if the away fans turned out in similar numbers to what queens fans take to away games . Queens money problems are similar in 75% of clubs in Scotland. My main wish is we could develop home grown players but this is so hard due to the lack of help in funding a good youth system this is not just down to the club but how sfa want clubs to develop players and how they want to help which is very little
I am confident Alan and sandy will deliver a decent team and football that is worth watching starting with 3 points on Saturday

good evening billy

1 minute ago, lowland star said:

At least I now know what section I can put you in under the title of negative idiots with 3-4 others on pie and bovril have a good evening

i am not negative . i am truthfull hewitson has plenty money but decides to use it elsewhere .  i dont expect miracles but 15 players in a squad is not enough .

We can't wait till the end of August we could be bottom of the league we need players now  but as always it is all to do with money something we don't have a lot of .

Can't see us turning such a situation around with only 96 points available to play for right enough.

9 hours ago, dumfriesblue said:

i am not negative . i am truthfull hewitson has plenty money but decides to use it elsewhere .  i dont expect miracles but 15 players in a squad is not enough .

He may have plenty of money but is there someone willing to put in more money who he is keeping out?

If not then we're in no position to complain about how much of his fortune he chooses to pour away into what is a loss making enterprise. 

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

11 hours ago, dumfriesblue said:

Dont know if you are aware that the chairman doesn't in fact own the club and is only in this position due to being elected 

4 minutes ago, abc2019 said:

I cannot stress enough how enjoyable I find it supporting a team who have the ability to show up and win 3 zip or lose to the same scoreline, beauty of the south.

I’d probably find it more enjoyable if they lost the latter ability tbh.

Just now, Dougie Mills said:

I’d probably find it more enjoyable if they lost the latter ability tbh.

Completely understandable, I just enjoy the unpredictability side of things. Allows me to have a good moan one week and clear the system, and then enjoy a relaxing pint following an unlikely win the other.